I thought Subway was supposed to be good for you

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

stop thinking of individual foods as "good" or "bad" and start thinking of ALL foods as just:

1) fuel for your body
    2) micro- and macro-nutrient delivery systems

then determine which foods adequately meet your daily needs for both 1) and 2) above.

why?

Because that's all any food is...if you're getting the nutrients your body needs, it couldn't care less where it came from.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    processed meats never = 'good' for you.

What if you were lost in the wilderness, and hadn't eaten in three days, and you stumbled upon a cabin with a refrigerator full of nothing but processed meats. Should you not eat them?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    processed meats never = 'good' for you.

tumblr_inline_mq1enuFE5g1qz4rgp.gif
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    No mayo, no cheese on flat bread or wheat and I get ALL of the veggies :)
  • MallieRose91
    MallieRose91 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Do the 6 inch turkey on wheat, no cheese. Add lots of veggies, and a light topping.

This! I always get turkey breast on wheat bread with no cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, green peppers, and light mayo. Only 330 calories for a 6 inch and 660 for a foot long. The sodium in most of their foods are high but if you make healthy choices then you can have a healthy meal.
  • silveropes
    silveropes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It can be if you make proper choices to fit your calories that you want to spend. I like a turkey or a veggie. There are lots of calories in the bread but it does help fill you up. I add all kinds of veggies and usually just do red vinegar instead of a dressing or mayo.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Delicious, fatty meats aren't going to be low in calories.

Even if you buy them from subway??
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Subway Is only healthy if you make the right choices. Pastrami is not the healthiest meat on their menu. I always order either turkey, chicken or veggie with no cheese and low cal dressing. If you had a foot long then that will set you back min 600 cals for most subs. Subway can be a healthier option but sodium will be high in most items. It's like anything else, you have to try and stick to the healthier choices.

This post is exactly right!!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It's sort of like saying all salads are supposed to be good for you, but dumping high-fat dressing, croutons, bacon, etc on it kind of kills that point. Just educate yourself on what's available and make the best choice available:) Opt for wheat instead of white bread, veggies for bacon, and so on. You got this!
  • samanthahix12
    Options
    I get a 6 inch turkey with bacon & provolone on wheat bread. Add mustard and veggies and it's only 375 calories.

375 calories of delicious!
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    They advertise "Fresh" not "Healthy".... They lure you in with healthy veggies... but neglect to tell you about the meat choices aren't exactly healthy choice. Like everyone's already said, when getting fast food anywhere, you need to make healthier choices. McDonald's has a couple of GREAT options with the premium chicken wraps, as far as calories go. But with Subway, check out their website, you can build your lunch even before you step out the door to go and pick it up and that way you won't have any surprises. Good luck and keep making healthy choices!!
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    All of the "no cheese" replies make me :sad:

I love me some cheese!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Why would you think a pastrami sub from subway is going to be any different than a pastrami sub from elsewhere?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I work for Subway, Subway has a health fitness menu, the pastrami melt is not on that, pastrami is purely fat. I have people come in who'll order a 12 inch on Italian hers and cheese bread with double meat and double cheese and then laugh and say "It's subway, can't be that bad!" WRONG Subway is healthier then most other fast food restaurants but they aren't clean and they aren't all good sandwiches.

If I eat at work, I normally get a 3 inch turkey sandwich on flat bread, no cheese. I don't eat there a whole lot, I either eat before work or bring my lunch with me.
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I work for Subway, Subway has a health fitness menu, the pastrami melt is not on that, pastrami is purely fat. I have people come in who'll order a 12 inch on Italian hers and cheese bread with double meat and double cheese and then laugh and say "It's subway, can't be that bad!" WRONG Subway is healthier then most other fast food restaurants but they aren't clean and they aren't all good sandwiches.

BINGO!!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    a pastrami sucked your calories up for the day...i'm sorry i'd increase that so I could eat my pastrami and hear the chorus of angels singing
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Subway does in a pinch on a road trip if there is no panera or jimmy johns. I find JJ to be more salty than subway, but they have the unwich so they win! I like the kid's sub at subway. 3 inch on wheat with no cheese, no mayo and double the meat. I love brown mustard so dressing is easy!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    All of the "no cheese" replies make me :sad:

I love me some cheese!

Me too might as well say "no air" Bunch of crazy commies.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's relative. Subway is healthier than a lot of other fast food options.

Pro Tip: next time you are there notice the stickers on the sneeze glass thingie that show the cal contents of their sandwiches
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    why did u go there?