You call this a Sexual Predator???

Options
I am being heated over this as I have the sweetest most affectionate 2 yr old boy who loves handing out kisses and hugs:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/first-grade-boy-suspended-for--sexual-harassment-171045972.html

A 6-year-old was suspended from school in Canon City, Colo., after kissing a girl on her hand. School officials said the smooch was sexual harassment, KRDO reports.

Hunter Yelton reportedly had a crush on a female classmate. So he planted a smooch on her hand as a way to show his affection. A smooth move, no doubt. Unfortunately for Hunter, the school didn't agree. The kiss was seen as a kind of harassment. Hunter was sent to the principal's office and suspended.

Hunter's mom Jenny Saunders told KRDO that the subject of Hunter's affection was OK with the kiss. Other kids told the music teacher about the sneaky smooch.

Saunders told KRDO:

"That was the day I had the meeting with the principal, where she first said 'sexual harassment'. This is taking it to an extreme that doesn't need to be met with a six-year-old. Now my son is asking questions… what is sex, Mommy? That should not ever be said, sex. Not in a sentence with a six-year-old."

Both mother and son told KRDO that Hunter isn't exactly an easy kid to have in class. He's been suspended before for "roughhousing" and for kissing the same first-grader on her cheek.

KRDO reports that the school district is sticking to its stance. The superintended told the station that Hunter's kiss fits the district's definition of sexual harassment.

His mom isn't happy that her 6-year-old now has that mark on his record.

"How can you do this? How can you say this about my child?" she said. "Remove sexual harassment, remove it from his record. I'm going to stand up and fight for him because that's not the case, that's not what happened at all."

Replies

• goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    That is terrible! Schools are going way overboard :cry: Poor little guy
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Rules/guidelines or not this is overboard... What judgement process or lack there of did the principal and superintendent use? This situation may have some serious scarring on this child if it is not corrected now.
  • 6ronXtreme9
    6ronXtreme9 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    this world ain't rainbow and sunshine.its a very nasty place - rocky...I'm really sorry about that child.
  • HertfordshireRose
    Options
    I don't believe a child that young has the mental capacity to understand sexual harassment. How can a child be guilty of something if they don't understand it? We use the same defense for adults who lack the capacity to understand, but we then usually lock them up in a low-security psych facility. Maybe that's what we should do to this kid? If we're going to use adult terms to describe the behaviours if children we should treat them as adults. Right?

This is a symptom of a school system terrified of being sued by the girl's parents which is a symptom of an even greater sue-happy disease infecting the United States.

They're children! Let them be children! We cannot treat children as adults with these things. Childhood is the time of discovery.

Now, to the mother. This is a great time to start talking to your kid about sex. There are age-appropriate sex education methods available for kids his age, and he should learn and continue to learn even after he's had sex the first time.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    That's absurd! I know my little 6 year old holds the hands of his "girlfriends" at school, is that going to be the next sexual harrassment? I think what he did was sweet.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    1. Saying something is sexual harassment isn't the same as someone saying they are a sexual predator. Stop being sensationalist.

2. There's this:
    Both mother and son told KRDO that Hunter isn't exactly an easy kid to have in class. He's been suspended before for "roughhousing" and for kissing the same first-grader on her cheek.

Not saying that it's not all overkill, but maybe she should control her son a little. I mean, if they already suspended him for something the same lines, plus other things, at 6, don't you think the parent should step in and say, "Maybe I need to do a better job of parenting."
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I remember when it happened the first time. It's beyond ridiculous.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

souds like there is a lot more to it....
  • rml_16
    Options
    1. Saying something is sexual harassment isn't the same as someone saying they are a sexual predator. Stop being sensationalist.

2. There's this:

Not saying that it's not all overkill, but maybe she should control her son a little. I mean, if they already suspended him for something the same lines, plus other things, at 6, don't you think the parent should step in and say, "Maybe I need to do a better job of parenting."
    Do you remember being that age?

We used to chase each other around, kiss each other and the boys would try (and often succeed) to pull girls' skirt sup. And sometimes they succeeded because the girls let them do it.
  • sixout
    Options

2. There's this:

We used to chase each other around, kiss each other and the boys would try (and often succeed) to pull girls' skirt sup. And sometimes they succeeded because the girls let them do it.

And you have to remember that now is not then. Kids are sexualized at a young age. If I had a daughter, I'd be furious if I knew teachers were letting little boys pull her skirt up. Once seems like it can be forgiven, but it seems that this was a recurring thing, since he'd be suspending before for it.

I think at some point, a parent has to take some responsibility and stop saying "kids will be kids".
  • rml_16
    Options

2. There's this:

And you have to remember that now is not then. Kids are sexualized at a young age. If I had a daughter, I'd be furious if I knew teachers were letting little boys pull her skirt up. Once seems like it can be forgiven, but it seems that this was a recurring thing, since he'd be suspending before for it.

I think at some point, a parent has to take some responsibility and stop saying "kids will be kids".

Kids are not sexualized. Adults ae putting meaning on something that isn't there.

Kids experiment and play around. There's judgment you have to use. You have to, I don't know, remember what it was like to be that age? You never played "doctor"? You weren't curious?

There is NOTHING wrong or out of the ordinary about a little boy kissing a little girl on the cheek. From what I read, the little girl wasn't even upset about it. This is ADULTS reading ADULT themes into children's games that are a normal part of development.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options

2. There's this:

"Maybe I need to do a better job at parenting." I don't know what kind of parent she is, but you need to realize every child is different. My son is an example of a child who has spent the majority of his life struggling with his emotions and tendency to behave inappropriately. Through intervention and an excellent school system he is almost 100% functional in a classroom. At age six he was not but they considered him a work in progress. This child sounds like he needs the same kind of support.
  • sixout
    Options

2. There's this:

Kids are not sexualized. Adults ae putting meaning on something that isn't there.

Kids experiment and play around. There's judgment you have to use. You have to, I don't know, remember what it was like to be that age? You never played "doctor"? You weren't curious?

There is NOTHING wrong or out of the ordinary about a little boy kissing a little girl on the cheek. From what I read, the little girl wasn't even upset about it. This is ADULTS reading ADULT themes into children's games that are a normal part of development.

You sure kids aren't sexualized?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/oct/21/puberty-adolescence-childhood-onset

Kids are learning about sex at a younger age, and are maturing a lot more quickly these days. Puberty is being reached at a way younger age than when we were all kids.

It may not be out of the ordinary to want to experiment, but that doesn't make it right to happen at school, or if they've already been in trouble for it before. Times change, humans change. Things aren't like they were 10 years ago.
  • sixout
    Options

2. There's this:

"Maybe I need to do a better job at parenting." I don't know what kind of parent she is, but you need to realize every child is different. My son is an example of a child who has spent the majority of his life struggling with his emotions and tendency to behave inappropriately. Through intervention and an excellent school system he is almost 100% functional in a classroom. At age six he was not but they considered him a work in progress. This child sounds like he needs the same kind of support.

And that's fine. It seems like you're doing a good job of parenting, because you realized there needed to be something done, and you worked towards a solution. This woman (from what's shown in the article) hasn't. If something had been done, then she could turn around and say the school knows about issues, and things of that sort. From an outsider perspective, it looks as if she's upset that he's been disciplined, instead of being upset that he was doing something worth being disciplined for.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Whew, I guess I got off easy when I was a kid. Kissed a boy in kindergarten (later kicked the same boy for saying something stupid). Often displayed tomboyish behavior where I threatened another kid for being mean to an animal. Threw sawdust in another kids eyes. . . I was a threat to society. Lucky I don't have a criminal record for all my elementary school antics.
  • sixout
    Options
    Times change. Apparently people don't realize this.

Also, this kid will not be labeled as a sexual predator when he grows up. Or even next year. The title of this topic is dumb.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's been ~35 years, but I remember a kid in my kindergarten class being sent home for unwanted hugging and kissing of many girls in our class. I was one of them. The term sexual harassment wasn't, to the best of my knowledge, being tossed around then. He was just considered a pest and disruptive.

He didn't change as he grew up, though, and was held back more than once before 6th grade, and last I heard, maybe 15-20 years ago, was arrested for shooting someone.

Personally, I'd call it harassment, but not sexual harassment. It's not like it's open mouth kissing and groping.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't like that they put a "sexual harassment" label on a 6-year-old, but that's the problem with zero-tolerance policies. They're for people who can't think for themselves and would rather absolve themselves of responsibility for decision-making and say "Hey, it's policy. My hands are tied," than to have to evaluate individual circumstances and decide them on a case-by-case basis.

But it does sound like this kid needs to be told once and for all that he has stop kissing girls at school. The one he has a crush on may not care, but other girls might be very uncomfortable with it, and at that age, they might feel like they'll get in trouble if they say anything about it. What if you had a very young daughter who came home from school, saying that some boy kissed her and she didn't like it? I'd be irate. Girls shouldn't be subjected to that sort of thing at school and have administrators wave it off as "just what kids do." When there's no authority figure telling them to stop, it turns into 5th and 6th grade boys grabbing girls' butts, trying to unhook the bra of the girl who sits in front of them ... things that actually do qualify as sexual harassment.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I don't like that they put a "sexual harassment" label on a 6-year-old, but that's the problem with zero-tolerance policies. They're for people who can't think for themselves and would rather absolve themselves of responsibility for decision-making and say "Hey, it's policy. My hands are tied," than to have to evaluate individual circumstances and decide them on a case-by-case basis.

But it does sound like this kid needs to be told once and for all that he has stop kissing girls at school. The one he has a crush on may not care, but other girls might be very uncomfortable with it, and at that age, they might feel like they'll get in trouble if they say anything about it. What if you had a very young daughter who came home from school, saying that some boy kissed her and didn't like it? Girls shouldn't be subjected to that sort of thing at school and have administrators wave it off as "just what kids do." When there's no authority figure telling them to stop, it turns into 5th and 6th grade boys grabbing girls' butts, trying to unhook the bra of the girl who sits in front of them ... things that actually do qualify as sexual harassment.
    If the little girl is bothered by it and says something, obviously an adult needs to step in. But otherwise, no, adults need to step back unless they see something truly worrying, which this doesn't seem to be. But it's possible there's way more to the story than is being told.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    WOW when I was in kindergarten a kid touched my butt and showed me his peter, they didn't do anything to him besides tell him not to do it............why........because he was a KID, and kids do weird crap, btw I exacted my own revenge and kicked him in the nads........WHAT?! I was a kid too you know.
This discussion has been closed.