You call this a Sexual Predator???

Options

Replies

• Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    WOW when I was in kindergarten a kid touched my butt and showed me his peter, they didn't do anything to him besides tell him not to do it............why........because he was a KID, and kids do weird crap, btw I exacted my own revenge and kicked him in the nads........WHAT?! I was a kid too you know.

QFT! I have a 6 year old son...He and I had a talk about keeping his hands out of his pants because he likes to just sit with his hand down his pants cupping his daddy parts...His side " It's mine, why can't I touch it??"...I had to explain to him that it is inappropriate behavior because those are our private areas, and doing it in public can make others uncomfortable. He no longer does it in public, but I still find the kid sleeping with his hands down his pants..have I corrected that?..No...he isn't in public and I don't want him to be weirded out by his own junk or think it isn't ok in the right setting...Kids say off the wall stuff and do off the wall things..BECAUSE..ding ding ding..they are KIDS!

I once embarrassed the hell out of my mother by telling my teacher at a conference that she had just had a hysterectomy...I didn't know that was private information...I WAS A KID...

Truly mean children, children that bully, or if the affected children are uncomfortable should be handled, but most kids have no clue at that age what they are saying or doing. They see us as parents show affection by hugs and kisses and they want to show others affection...I'm not about to stop hugging and kissing my kids so that they don't show affection that way to others..
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Okay.. the topic of this thread is dumb. Sexual predator is not the same as sexual harassment. I think that has been established. I have 5 and 7 year old sons. Their schools have "barriers assemblies" every two weeks where kids are taught appropriate touch. My boys are very affectionate with myself and other kids. Every since they were in preschool they would hug their classmates goodbye. Some of the other kids were a little surprised when approached for hugs, but later they would be the ones approaching my son for hugs. Some of the parents even said that their kids were not affectionate and were surprised by that behavior. Other parents were supportive of this. Kids should learn what is appropriate for our society.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I was 7 or 8 (about 29-30 years ago) and in third grade, another third grader told me he wanted to park his Corvette in my garage. I'm traumatized to this day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks that think the term "sexual harassment" is a bit much, but yea, times have changed so who knows what that boy was thinking. Kids learn too much too soon these days.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It's so stupid!
    My nephew lost a job when he was 19 after being accused of harrassment. He has always been a hugger, he hugs everybody! Well, I guess he hugged the wrong person one time. Was NEVER told or warned that it was unwelcome and he was out. You just never know for sure.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    It's so stupid!
    My nephew lost a job when he was 19 after being accused of harrassment. He has always been a hugger, he hugs everybody! Well, I guess he hugged the wrong person one time. Was NEVER told or warned that it was unwelcome and he was out. You just never know for sure.

Well, when you're on a job, any kind of touching is off limits. Simply because it could lead to a lawsuit that could cost the company a ton of money. So yea, while he may be affectionate, he also needs to know what's socially acceptable. Stepping into someone's comfort zone and touching them, even if it's just a friendly hug, is not something that is going to fly at any job site, unless your job is to hug other people at work.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks that think the term "sexual harassment" is a bit much, but yea, times have changed so who knows what that boy was thinking. Kids learn too much too soon these days.

I agree they learn too much too soon...I feel it's my job as a parent to keep as much of that as possible from happening..I have a 13 year old that JUST received her first cell phone, and only recieved it do to the necessity of calling after extracurriculars for rides etc. She has limited internet access, and we don't have cable television. She hears enough stuff from her friends, I don't need to bombard her with it at home. She comes to me with questions, and when I tell her something (ie. a song, show) is inappropriate or unacceptable I explain why.

It is my job as a parent to control what I can and explain what I can't control. So far so good..I have a pretty well adjusted 13 year old that knows the basics, isn't afraid to ask questions, but doesn't dress like she's 20 or try to be older than 13..I am scared of what the next few years might bring though..not gonna lie..
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    It's so stupid!

Yeah sorry but I'd be weirded out if someone I worked with came up and just hugged me.

You just don't do things like that in any kind of job. That's why they have handbooks and HR departments because things like that aren't socially acceptable in that sort of environment.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not a kid now days. It's bad enough that I was scarred for life for getting my name on the board with a check mark next to it for talking in class. That right there made me the painfully shy person I am today. I'd hate to be suspended for something innocent. But I also think that schools and society in general takes things a little bit too far. I can see if he held her down and was fondling her while trying to kiss her but he wasn't. Not only that but he kissed her on the cheek before so obviously they "like" each other.

Kids can't be kids any more and do the kid things that we used to do when growing up. It's really sad.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    There is no way a 6 year old should be labelled a sexual predator. This is beyond ridiculous, it's potentially damaging. SMH
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It's so stupid!

Um, he was 19.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    There is no way a 6 year old should be labelled a sexual predator. This is beyond ridiculous, it's potentially damaging. SMH

He's not. The article never says the words sexual predator. read it.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You are right, this article didn't say that, but this one and a few others do...

Google +
    +
    It seems that the "Zero Tolerance" policy in American schools have reached the point of sheer madness, now that a six-year-old Colorado Kindergarten student has been accused and found guilty of "sexual harassment" by his school principal.
    Hunter Yelton of Cañon City, Colorado, is six-years-old. The slightly-built youngster with a cute-as-a-button face and infectious grin is not a child you would think to label as a "sexual predator," but apparently his elementary school's "Zero Tolerance" policy says he must be.
    So what did this little "deviant" do? In music class, he playfully "pecked a classmate on the cheek and hand." A few of his classmates saw what happened and ran and told the teacher. By the way, those children must have already been schooled on sexual harassment and other "nasty sex stuff."
    Hunter's mom doesn't understand the big deal, because the two children are playmates and have a "crush" on each other. Jennifer Saunders told local news station, KRDO, ""She was fine with it. The other children saw it and went to the music teacher. That was the day I had the meeting with the principal, where she first said 'sexual harassment'.""
    As with most 6-year-olds, he doesn't know what "sex" means, let alone "sexual harassment." But if the school district superintendent has any say in the matter, he will soon be learning a few new vocabulary words. The superintendent said, " "Hunter's behavior meets the school's criteria for "sexual harassment," and the harsh penalty is necessary so he can mend his ways.""
    Saunders admits that Hunter has had a few "class disruption" problems, and was once suspended for rough-housing and kissing the same little girl on the cheek. But she insists that labeling her son with "sexual harassment" is going too far.
    "How can you do this? How can you say this about my child? Remove sexual harassment, remove it from his record. I'm going to stand up and fight for him because that's not the case, that's not what happened at all," she said.
    Hunter's story has drawn the American public's attention as well as international attention. The absurdity of putting something like "sexual harassment" on a child's school records is not only incredibly ludicrous, but it can affect the child psychologically. Unless that phrase is removed from this little boy's records, it will be a huge red flag, labeling him unjustly for the rest of his school days.
    The big problem here is educators have become so fearful of their jobs, as well as being afraid of doing something that's not considered "politically correct," that they are creating an atmosphere of fear. Most parents teach their children to be kind and friendly, and most come from loving homes where hugs and kisses are normal and welcome signs of affection. But how do we expect parents to tell their little ones they must only show affection at home? Try explaining "That" to a five or six-year-uld.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/363727#ixzz2nBKTWybF
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The school record labeling him as a sexual offender is ridiculous, but the kid needs to be taught not to do that. My brother was super overly affectionate all the way through middle school with his teachers, and it got really awkward.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have a 4.5-year-old stepson in daycare. He's not affectionate with people outside the family, but other kids are affectionate with him. He's quite the little ladies' man(like father, like son?). It seems as if the reverse of this happens, nothing happens because obviously girls can't be guilty of "sexual harassment". He does, in fact, call one of these little girls his "girlfriend" on occasion(of course, which girl changes fairly frequently. Lol), much to the exasperation of his daycare providers. I see these other kids hug him because they're just affectionate, and he stands there stiff as a board like it's the most awkward thing ever. He never hugs back, but he and everyone else around obviously just accepts it as normal. I would assume that he's been kissed by girls, but I know he's just not an affectionate child.

I have noticed that as children and as adults, males get penalized for behavior that women get away with. While they don't say that the girl actively engaged in conduct like this toward this little boy, I want to know if it would be dismissed as just something that girls do if she kissed HIM. I honestly assume it would be, and that's a little distressing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    At six years old, the kid doesn't even understand his "crime." PC gone awry!

shirley-temple-angry-o.gif
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call this "Sexual Harrassment" but the little girl does have the right for him to keep his mouth to himself.

And in my grade school, boys would hunt down and take off the panties of girls who wore dresses. And the girls didn't "let them do it." But it still happened and the only way it was addressed was that the girls were told not to wear dresses.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    That is terrible! Schools are going way overboard :cry: Poor little guy

This is what happens when administration disengages brain.

Sadly though, parents have caused this with their blather for zero tolerance rules.

Reap/sow. Sadly, but at the end of the day, this is what parents want.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I agree that in this situation it is extreme to call this boy a sexual predator. The federal guidelines on sexual harassment clearly state that "unwelcome" advances are considered sexual harassment. The girl in the case was not bothered by his behavior, therefore, it is not sexual harassment. The school is going under the presumption that she is not entitled to welcome advances. This boy's mother should hire a lawyer.

However, I will say that it is entirely possible for a child to sexually harass another child. My daughter was repeatedly being smacked on the rearend by a little boy, and she asked him to stop. That was the point it became sexual harassment. When I was in school, a boy repeatedly exposed himself to me. That was sexual harassment. I put all this out here because I have come across adults that feel that it is not possible for a child to sexually harass another child simply because they don't know what sex is. People with that kind of attitude piss me off because they are teaching their sons that that kind of behavior is acceptable, when it isn't.
This discussion has been closed.