You call this a Sexual Predator???

Options

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I think Hunter learned a valuable life lesson through this: The only women you can ever trust in your lifetime is your mom.

Lulz aside, I'm willing to bet my rack that the kid didn't learn a thing from it at six.

Well regardless of the offense, I don't personally believe that suspension from school teaches a child anything anyway.

Nah, just teaches him when he gets older how to get out of tests or skip days he doesn't want to go
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think Hunter learned a valuable life lesson through this: The only women you can ever trust in your lifetime is your mom.

Lulz aside, I'm willing to bet my rack that the kid didn't learn a thing from it at six.

Well regardless of the offense, I don't personally believe that suspension from school teaches a child anything anyway.

This too!
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options

Nah, just teaches him when he gets older how to get out of tests or skip days he doesn't want to go

Or maybe suspension isn't meant to teach a lesson. But to separate the kid from others to keep from doing what they were doing, and the schools actually rely on the parent to do the disciplining? Or is that too logical?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Gross overreaction. When I was in second grade things like this were commonplace and were dealt with by redirection and if they really became a problem a student might sit in a corner or sit on a bench during recess. Suspension used to be reserved for really severe problem behaviors, not normal expressions of childhood crushes.

This boy didn't lift the girls skirt, he didn't hit the girl, he kissed her hand! It didn't even upset the girl, it upset the teacher. I am not saying misbehavior should be ignored, but I'm not sure that suspension is the best way to deal with it.

Once upon a time, kissing a girl's hand was considered THE appropriate way to greet her.
  • jenifr818
    Options

Or maybe suspension isn't meant to teach a lesson. But to separate the kid from others to keep from doing what they were doing, and the schools actually rely on the parent to do the disciplining? Or is that too logical?

Not too logical at all. However, you're assuming the parent is going to do any disciplining. That's one hell of an assumption to make sometimes
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I'm sure he'll grow up to be a fine upstanding member of society, even through this temporary setback
    tumblr_mrqc4sacNb1s6luhno1_500.gif \m/
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If they were "playing doctor" behind the bleachers, that would be something to get mad about

I agree with you except for this. This is also normal behavior (assuming both children are OK with it). You don't "get mad." You take them aside and explain about appropriate behavior and private areas. You don't make sex scary, dirty and taboo to children -- even the ones who don't yet know what it is.

You explain in terms they can understand why they shouldn't do that.
  • sixout
    Options
    Gross overreaction. When I was in second grade things like this were commonplace and were dealt with by redirection and if they really became a problem a student might sit in a corner or sit on a bench during recess. Suspension used to be reserved for really severe problem behaviors, not normal expressions of childhood crushes.

This boy didn't lift the girls skirt, he didn't hit the girl, he kissed her hand! It didn't even upset the girl, it upset the teacher. I am not saying misbehavior should be ignored, but I'm not sure that suspension is the best way to deal with it.

Once upon a time, kissing a girl's hand was considered THE appropriate way to greet her.

And once upon a time, owning people of a different color was considered the appropriate way to get things done quickly. Times change. Just because something was seen as ok in the past, doesn't mean it's seen as ok now.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Ah, but you are presuming that the parent will agree with the school's decision, which in this case, his parent did not. Therefore, nothing learned here. But thanks for judging people in your post. This thread was totally missing some judgment directed at the mother.
  • jenifr818
    Options

And once upon a time, owning people of a different color was considered the appropriate way to get things done quickly. Times change. Just because something was seen as ok in the past, doesn't mean it's seen as ok now.

Wow, that's one hell of a weird comparison ... slavery vs. appropriateness of kissing a girls hand to greet her?
  • sixout
    Options

Not too logical at all. However, you're assuming the parent is going to do any disciplining. That's one hell of an assumption to make sometimes

And there's the real issue. Parents teach kids. Kids learn from that. This problem goes away.

And to the person that thinks it's ok for 6 year olds to go play doctor behind the bleachers, seriously. Playing doctor isn't normal behavior. It's something that kids do when they start reaching that level of maturity. And if they're at that level, then they shouldn't be kissing other kids without fear of reprimand.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

While I totally agree with you that her argument referring to what has been acceptable in the past isn't really relevant, the fact of the matter is that this would not qualify as sexual harassment under federal guidelines if this were two adults in the workplace. Therefore, this is ridiculous.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Some things have changed for the worse.

ending slavery = good

death of chivalry = very bad
  • sixout
    Options

Wow, that's one hell of a weird comparison ... slavery vs. appropriateness of kissing a girls hand to greet her?

More about how things in the past aren't like things now. In pretty much any way.
  • rml_16
    Options

JUst outlaw dating and sex. It's clearly the only real solution.

Procreation through in vitro, no marriages or living together -- not even people of the same gender because, you know, gay and all. Affection is evil! Wrong! Terrible!

DOWN WITH AFFECTION!!! It's just like slavery.
  • sixout
    Options

Some things have changed for the worse.

ending slavery = good

death of chivalry = very bad

because a six year old can't kiss any girl they want without reprimand doesn't mean that chivalry is dead.

And yes, I agree that some things are good and some are bad. But the fact remains, that things do change, and what we thought was ok as children, isn't now.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

And there's the real issue. Parents teach kids. Kids learn from that. This problem goes away.

And to the person that thinks it's ok for 6 year olds to go play doctor behind the bleachers, seriously. Playing doctor isn't normal behavior. It's something that kids do when they start reaching that level of maturity. And if they're at that level, then they shouldn't be kissing other kids without fear of reprimand.

Most child psychologists would disagree with you.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    It's so stupid!
    My nephew lost a job when he was 19 after being accused of harrassment. He has always been a hugger, he hugs everybody! Well, I guess he hugged the wrong person one time. Was NEVER told or warned that it was unwelcome and he was out. You just never know for sure.

Yeah sorry but I'd be weirded out if someone I worked with came up and just hugged me.

You just don't do things like that in any kind of job. That's why they have handbooks and HR departments because things like that aren't socially acceptable in that sort of environment.

Until the office christmas party, of course when people get too drunk and bang each other on the photocopier/in the stock room....
  • rml_16
    Options

Most child psychologists would disagree with you.
    Exactly.

I learned this stuff in my HIGH SCHOOL psychology class.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Unwanted touching is unwanted touching, regardless of your age. Rule #1 in first grade is keep your hands (and presumably your lips) to yourself.
This discussion has been closed.