You call this a Sexual Predator???

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Gross overreaction. When I was in second grade things like this were commonplace and were dealt with by redirection and if they really became a problem a student might sit in a corner or sit on a bench during recess. Suspension used to be reserved for really severe problem behaviors, not normal expressions of childhood crushes.

This boy didn't lift the girls skirt, he didn't hit the girl, he kissed her hand! It didn't even upset the girl, it upset the teacher. I am not saying misbehavior should be ignored, but I'm not sure that suspension is the best way to deal with it.

Once upon a time, kissing a girl's hand was considered THE appropriate way to greet her.

And once upon a time, owning people of a different color was considered the appropriate way to get things done quickly. Times change. Just because something was seen as ok in the past, doesn't mean it's seen as ok now.

Some things have changed for the worse.

ending slavery = good

death of chivalry = very bad

because a six year old can't kiss any girl they want without reprimand doesn't mean that chivalry is dead.

And yes, I agree that some things are good and some are bad. But the fact remains, that things do change, and what we thought was ok as children, isn't now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chivalry
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I think Hunter learned a valuable life lesson through this: The only women you can ever trust in your lifetime is your mom.

Lulz aside, I'm willing to bet my rack that the kid didn't learn a thing from it at six.

Well regardless of the offense, I don't personally believe that suspension from school teaches a child anything anyway.

Nah, just teaches him when he gets older how to get out of tests or skip days he doesn't want to go

Or maybe suspension isn't meant to teach a lesson. But to separate the kid from others to keep from doing what they were doing, and the schools actually rely on the parent to do the disciplining? Or is that too logical?

Ah, but you are presuming that the parent will agree with the school's decision, which in this case, his parent did not. Therefore, nothing learned here. But thanks for judging people in your post. This thread was totally missing some judgment directed at the mother.

I'm not sure how saying that the parent should be the one disciplining is judgmental, but ok. And if the kid has been suspended before, apparently they're doing something wrong. Maybe the parent does need to be judged a bit.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Unwanted touching is unwanted touching, regardless of your age. Rule #1 in first grade is keep your hands (and presumably your lips) to yourself.
    It wasn't unwanted, though.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    1. Saying something is sexual harassment isn't the same as someone saying they are a sexual predator. Stop being sensationalist.

2. There's this:
    Both mother and son told KRDO that Hunter isn't exactly an easy kid to have in class. He's been suspended before for "roughhousing" and for kissing the same first-grader on her cheek.

Not saying that it's not all overkill, but maybe she should control her son a little. I mean, if they already suspended him for something the same lines, plus other things, at 6, don't you think the parent should step in and say, "Maybe I need to do a better job of parenting."
    Do you remember being that age?

We used to chase each other around, kiss each other and the boys would try (and often succeed) to pull girls' skirt sup. And sometimes they succeeded because the girls let them do it.

^^I did this. That god sexual harassment didn't exist in the 70's. I remember girls showing me their panties at recess. I should have been locked up!
  • Overridden
    Options
    Kids are not sexualized. Adults ae putting meaning on something that isn't there.

Kids experiment and play around. There's judgment you have to use. You have to, I don't know, remember what it was like to be that age? You never played "doctor"? You weren't curious?

There is NOTHING wrong or out of the ordinary about a little boy kissing a little girl on the cheek. From what I read, the little girl wasn't even upset about it. This is ADULTS reading ADULT themes into children's games that are a normal part of development.

^^This!
  • sixout
    Options
    Unwanted touching is unwanted touching, regardless of your age. Rule #1 in first grade is keep your hands (and presumably your lips) to yourself.

Apparently people forget this, because it's normal for kids to want to touch other kids.

Doesn't matter what people want, rules are rules. Some people don't like being touched. This kid broke rules, and was suspended before. And well, did it again. I mean, I don't have a problem with the kid being suspended for repeatedly breaking the same rule.

Also, sexual harassment doesn't mean the kid is a sexual predator. Since a lot of people are mad about that part.
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sexual Predator to Slavery in 4 pages

28974458.jpg

Cant we get a Hitler post by page 6?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Where did you get that it wasn't unwanted? I didn't see that so genuinely asking.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Did you miss the part where the girl gave him persmission to kiss her hand?

Perhaps, a meeting with parents and administrators for both children should have occurred, but this is a serious knee-jerk reaction. If this were to happen in the workplace, no one would be charged with sexual harassment, but both participants would have been given at least a warning before corrective action took place.
  • sixout
    Options

28974458.jpg

Why wait?

Kitler_1959295c.jpg
  • rml_16
    Options

Where did you get that it wasn't unwanted? I didn't see that so genuinely asking.
    All the articles about it have said the little girl was OK with it and not bothered at all.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    1. Saying something is sexual harassment isn't the same as someone saying they are a sexual predator. Stop being sensationalist.

2. There's this:
    Both mother and son told KRDO that Hunter isn't exactly an easy kid to have in class. He's been suspended before for "roughhousing" and for kissing the same first-grader on her cheek.

Not saying that it's not all overkill, but maybe she should control her son a little. I mean, if they already suspended him for something the same lines, plus other things, at 6, don't you think the parent should step in and say, "Maybe I need to do a better job of parenting."

We used to chase each other around, kiss each other and the boys would try (and often succeed) to pull girls' skirt sup. And sometimes they succeeded because the girls let them do it.

^^I did this. That god sexual harassment didn't exist in the 70's. I remember girls showing me their panties at recess. I should have been locked up!

Oddly enough, the people that grew up in the 70s when this wouldn't have meant much are the people running the system now and are the ones coming up with these rules....hmmmm....mind blown.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Poor little guy. That sounds so stupid!
  • sixout
    Options

Perhaps, a meeting with parents and administrators for both children should have occurred, but this is a serious knee-jerk reaction. If this were to happen in the workplace, no one would be charged with sexual harassment, but both participants would have been given at least a warning before corrective action took place.

Depends on the workplace. At the place I work, it'd lead to a 3 day suspension, that is used as a warning. If it's a second time, it's termination.
  • rml_16
    Options

2. There's this:

Oddly enough, the people that grew up in the 70s when this wouldn't have meant much are the people running the system now and are the ones coming up with these rules....hmmmm....mind blown.
    I was in elementary school in the '80s and we did that stuff all the time. I don't agree with any of this.

I think the people making these laws are the people who forgot what it was like to be that age and are applying what's proper in adult situations to children. And in many ways, even going overboard with it.
  • sixout
    Options

2. There's this:

I was in elementary school in the '80s and we did that stuff all the time. I don't agree with any of this.

I think the people making these laws are the people who forgot what it was like to be that age and are applying what's proper in adult situations to children. And in many ways, even going overboard with it.

Blame the people that started suing for any and everything in the last 10 years or so. Now you have to be proactive to the point of going overboard at times, to make sure you're not hit with a hefty lawsuit at some point down the line.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Depends on the workplace. At the place I work, it'd lead to a 3 day suspension, that is used as a warning. If it's a second time, it's termination.

So if you asked a female co-worker if you could kiss her hand and she was okay with it, but your other co-workers saw and complained to the boss, your boss would put you on a 3-day suspension risking a decrease in productivity?

I highly doubt that.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Not enough information to make a judgement, but I will say just because something was allowed in the past doesn't make it right. Of course at that age children are learning boundaries, empathy, and what is and is not socially appropriate. Should a child be labeled a sexual predator...of course not!, but I cant say that the school was wrong or right.
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

28974458.jpg

Why wait?

Kitler_1959295c.jpg

Indeed!
    29nxp2g.jpg
  • sixout
    Options

So if you asked a female co-worker if you could kiss her hand and she was okay with it, but your other co-workers saw and complained to the boss, your boss would put you on a 3-day suspension risking a decrease in productivity?

I highly doubt that.

Sadly, the two involved could face suspension. Because at that point, it could be seen as making other coworkers uncomfortably because of the sexuality of it.

Because if they didn't, said third employee involved could in theory go get a lawyer and claim that they were sexually harassed indirectly, and have a legit case to go to court with. The chances of them doing it are low, but even a 1% chance is too much for a large corporation to risk when it comes to things like that.

3 days of decreased production is nothing compared to the cost of lawyers and possible settlements.
This discussion has been closed.