Is chivalry really dead? :(

Options

Replies

• leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Here is the real question, if you were on a sinking ship would you want chivalry to be dead or alive ladies? If you have been arguing that chivalry is a misogynistic ideal, then I am guessing you would want an equitable way of deciding who drowns and who gets in the lifeboat that has nothing to do with gender.
    This aughta be good.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Here is the real question, if you were on a sinking ship would you want chivalry to be dead or alive ladies? If you have been arguing that chivalry is a misogynistic ideal, then I am guessing you would want an equitable way of deciding who drowns and who gets in the lifeboat that has nothing to do with gender.

Oh shiiiiiiiiii...
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Other than children first, I would like the group to work together to save the maximum of lives. I would not expect nor demand that I would be saved instead of another person because of my gender.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    For me I don't tend to get my dander up over semantics. I like the idea of honor and being polite, don't give a rats behind where it stems from.

You might if people implied they were honorable and polite to you because you are weak. Do you think you would consider it honorable and polite if a big body building man helped you with your coat or insisted on paying your bill?

I don't think chivalry is fair to men either. It encourages more responsibility than what is needed and also promotes a lack of awareness of some of the needs of men.
    \

Well you've got me there. Even though I am a middle aged lady, I guess I am naive. It never entered my mind to assume automatically that someone helping me with my coat or picking up the check is doing it because they perceive I am weak. I always just thought they were extremely polite. Hey, I grew up in the late '70s and '80s and I paid my share of dinner tickets and I still hold the door open for everyone if I am the first one there. I am arguing for politeness all around, to heck with the words chivalry or to add a new one to the mix being a "lady."
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I would die for my husband and sons.
    The thought of this makes me sad.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I would want to live as much as you would. I would not want my gender to be the reason I did. I'd have to live with myself afterward.

But then again, I seriously judged Rose in Titanic for not sharing the giant piece of ice she was on with Jack.

Anyway, yes, I'd want a fair and equitable way of deciding who drowns and who dies, but it would suck all around. It wouldn't occur to me to have some people live or die based on gender.

If you were on a sinking ship, with your wife and another woman, and you gave the other woman your spot in the boat just because she's a woman, I'd be enraged if I were your wife (or daughter.)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Other than children first, I would like the group to work together to save the maximum of lives.

A committee meeting sounds like the perfect thing to occupy those few precious minutes.

My wife and kids are going into that boat.

Enjoy the chat
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    As long as I want to look like a lady, act like a lady and dress like one, I'd like to be treated like one.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

But then again, I seriously judged Rose in Titanic for not sharing the giant piece of ice she was on with Jack.
    Holy crap!!! So glad someone else felt this way!!!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Children first.

Then every person for themselves.

It's not difficult.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

Actually that's a hypothetical question. Seeing as you're so fond of hypotheticals, let me pose one to you; If it came down to your son or husband or an old lady getting in that lifeboat would you want chivalry to be alive?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

i'd flash a boob to get on a lifeboat. both for a spot on the lifeboat AND a bottle of fresh water
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Well you've got me there. Even though I am a middle aged lady, I guess I am naive. It never entered my mind to assume automatically that someone helping me with my coat or picking up the check is doing it because they perceive I am weak. I always just thought they were extremely polite. Hey, I grew up in the late '70s and '80s and I paid my share of dinner tickets and I still hold the door open for everyone if I am the first one there. I am arguing for politeness all around, to heck with the words chivalry or to add a new one to the mix being a "lady."

I apologize, I thought I saw you refer to yourself as a man earlier, must have mixed you up with someone else. But no, I don't think most automatically assume that it's about weakness, but if you look at it closely, why don't women help men with their coats? Is it because we aren't honorable and polite or men aren't entitled to it? (I agree with you that we should all extend courtesy to each other. I make sure to compliment parents of children of either gender who have great manners because it's such a nice thing to see.)
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Other than children first, I would like the group to work together to save the maximum of lives.

A committee meeting sounds like the perfect thing to occupy those few precious minutes.

Well, some of us work well in a crisis without a committee meeting. Hopefully, there will be lots of those type of people aboard.
  • Ninguneado77
    Options
    Children first.

Then every person for themselves.

It's not difficult.

In Latin America, known to americas as the "third world" it is first children, second, old people, third women, 4th animals then men
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

It was a door but they could have both totally floated on it!
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Actually that's a hypothetical question. Seeing as you're so fond of hypotheticals, let me pose one to you; If it came down to your son or husband or an old lady getting in that lifeboat would you want chivalry to be alive?

See, that does pose an interesting point for me.
    I DID teach my sons to give up their seats for those less able bodied.
    My husband is that way, too.
    And they would insist on throwing me in the lifeboat along with that old lady.

I need cat gifs to make me feel better now.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll never let go, Jack! Now let me pry that ice cold hand of your's off of me. It's damn uncomfortable.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

It was a door, and it's not about the door not being big enough for them to both be on, it wasn't big enough to displace sufficient water to support them both. Though having said that, nor was it beg enough to support Rose alone.

not-aliens-science--22021.png
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Well, some of us work well in a crisis without a committee meeting. Hopefully, there will be lots of those type of people aboard.

I love your sense of reality.