Is chivalry really dead? :(

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Here is the real question, if you were on a sinking ship would you want chivalry to be dead or alive ladies? If you have been arguing that chivalry is a misogynistic ideal, then I am guessing you would want an equitable way of deciding who drowns and who gets in the lifeboat that has nothing to do with gender.

But then again, I seriously judged Rose in Titanic for not sharing the giant piece of ice she was on with Jack.
    Holy crap!!! So glad someone else felt this way!!!

It was a door but they could have both totally floated on it!

So 3 of us! Yay! Even if they both couldn't fit, they could have taken shifts, perhaps? Something!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Here is the real question, if you were on a sinking ship would you want chivalry to be dead or alive ladies? If you have been arguing that chivalry is a misogynistic ideal, then I am guessing you would want an equitable way of deciding who drowns and who gets in the lifeboat that has nothing to do with gender.

Actually that's a hypothetical question. Seeing as you're so fond of hypotheticals, let me pose one to you; If it came down to your son or husband or an old lady getting in that lifeboat would you want chivalry to be alive?

See, that does pose an interesting point for me.
    I DID teach my sons to give up their seats for those less able bodied.
    My husband is that way, too.
    And they would insist on throwing me in the lifeboat along with that old lady.

I need cat gifs to make me feel better now.

But the old lady is going to dye in a few years anyway, she's led a nice long life already, why does she get a spot over a 30 year old dude who has a family?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

But then again, I seriously judged Rose in Titanic for not sharing the giant piece of ice she was on with Jack.

It was a door, and it's not about the door not being big enough for them to both be on, it wasn't big enough to displace sufficient water to support them both. Though having said that, nor was it beg enough to support Rose alone.

not-aliens-science--22021.png

But stuff floats better in salt water....
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Other than children first, I would like the group to work together to save the maximum of lives.

A committee meeting sounds like the perfect thing to occupy those few precious minutes.

Well, some of us work well in a crisis without a committee meeting. Hopefully, there will be lots of those type of people aboard.

I love your sense of reality.

Thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

It was a door, and it's not about the door not being big enough for them to both be on, it wasn't big enough to displace sufficient water to support them both. Though having said that, nor was it beg enough to support Rose alone.

My memory of the chivalrous dying pales to your's, sir. :tongue:

Now I have to go look up Titanic shots because in my head it's ice. But I only saw it the one time.
  • leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    But the old lady is going to dye in a few years anyway, she's led a nice long life already, why does she get a spot over a 30 year old dude who has a family?
    What is it shes going to dye, exactly?

Hehehe sorry, couldn't resist
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    36a6vi.jpg
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    So 3 of us! Yay! Even if they both couldn't fit, they could have taken shifts, perhaps? Something!

Yes!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Actually that's a hypothetical question. Seeing as you're so fond of hypotheticals, let me pose one to you; If it came down to your son or husband or an old lady getting in that lifeboat would you want chivalry to be alive?

Because in modern society most people have developed a pretty ingrained ethical obligation to protect the weak and infirm, and emotion typically overrides rational though.

I dare anyone to look a little old lady in the eye and say "you're going to die soon anyway, I'm taking that place because I have a kid."

On the otherhand, some little old ladies may willingly make the sacrifice. When she was alive I could easily imagine my mother refusing a seat in a life boat to save the father of a young family.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I would want to live as much as you would. I would not want my gender to be the reason I did. I'd have to live with myself afterward.

Anyway, yes, I'd want a fair and equitable way of deciding who drowns and who dies, but it would suck all around. It wouldn't occur to me to have some people live or die based on gender.

If you were on a sinking ship, with your wife and another woman, and you gave the other woman your spot in the boat just because she's a woman, I'd be enraged if I were your wife (or daughter.)

I should probably clarify, I am female, wife, mother, grandmother. I know my husband and he would never get on that boat in place of a woman. If we are on a bus and a woman is standing, he gets up and gives her his seat. He isn't a misogynist, it was just the way he was raised. I am not some pampered little diva either, I have always worked and we have shared domestic duties pretty much on an equal basis the last 27 years.

I suppose asking the sinking ship question is silly, no one can possibly know what they would really do in the face of something like that. I suspect being a feminist would fall by the wayside for many, many people, as would the idea of chivalry (after all chivalry apparently was not alive and well on the real Titanic).
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I would throw most of you overboard and save myself.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    What is it shes going to dye, exactly?

Hehehe sorry, couldn't resist

Her hair?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

The numbers account for the density of salt water. The door would support about 50kg before sinking.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

The numbers account for the density of salt water. The door would support about 50kg before sinking.

I love that some one figured that all out.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

It's too late for that is what I'm saying, in my case.
    My older son would likely throw my younger son AND that old bat in the boat with me.
    He's too big for anyone to fight with.
    Damn you MFP!!
    I hypothetically killed my kid!

Edit for damn autocorrect!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Nietzsche would love you
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    If we are on a bus and a woman is standing, he gets up and gives her his seat. He isn't a misogynist, it was just the way he was raised.

I am sure he isn't. I don't think most chivalrous men are at all misogynist. It is mostly about how someone is raised. Some of the ideas of chivalry grew out of old rules that don't apply anymore. I give my seat on the bus to people who look like the need it more than me, and I would feel very uncomfortable if a man gave me his seat. I'd feel guilty.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

Finally! An honest answer.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    lol i know it's the first definition, that's the point. the definition is that it's a medieval ideal for gender role behavior. It's not dead but it should be because it's based entirely on misogynist and sexist principles. WHICH I FIND PAINFULLY OBVIOUS JUST BY LOOKING AT THE FIRST DEFINITION. here's another look at the definition of chivalry lol k thanks http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2013/10/chivalry-degrades-women-promotes-sexism-in-society

Categorically False. Unfortunately in this day and age, 98% of men do not know how to conduct themselves on a date, and the other 2% are jerkoffs.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If we are on a bus and a woman is standing, he gets up and gives her his seat. He isn't a misogynist, it was just the way he was raised.

I am sure he isn't. I don't think most chivalrous men are at all misogynist. It is mostly about how someone is raised. Some of the ideas of chivalry grew out of old rules that don't apply anymore. I give my seat on the bus to people who look like the need it more than me, and I would feel very uncomfortable if a man gave me his seat. I'd feel guilty.

*looks up, makes eye contact, keeps sitting*

Well, I don't want to make you uncomfortable.

You're welcome.