Just count calories... really?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Love the initial post, I think everything in moderation but I have also found that junk food/processed food tends to give me more headaches lately although that could possibly be slight dehydration either way i'm gonna cut junk food out for a while and see if that helps.....

Anyone else experienced this?

~Charlie
    Why wouldn't you try drinking more water first?

I am going to try that but I was just wondering if the processed food.junk food could also be a potential cause for headaches....

If anything in those foods are causing issues, it could be an intolerance for something in the food that is causing it rather than the fact that it is processed or "junk food" - which I am assuming to be sweets / treats / snacks etc. I have a friend who became intolerant of red food dye, for example. Red food dye is found in a LOT of food.

I use the word intolerant over allergy, as there is a clinical difference between the two.

Anything could be a trigger, which is why it is handy to log all food... You can also record in the food notes section how you're feeling and see if you see commonalities appearing.

Letting myself become dehydrated is one of my migraine triggers.

MSG is one of my triggers.

Foods high in salt (like ham) are one of my triggers.

Sour cream (I love it!!) is one of my triggers (neuro says it's something with how it's processed).

Very sweet foods (a regular sized Butterfinger candy bar) is a trigger.

Wine (I've only ever drank Moscato) seems to be a trigger (I think because it quickly dehydrates me).

I have more, but these are just my food triggers.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am triggered just reading that list. Ugh. Sorry for you. I have lots of allergies but the only one to food is cantelope. And I can EASILY live without it.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Love the initial post, I think everything in moderation but I have also found that junk food/processed food tends to give me more headaches lately although that could possibly be slight dehydration either way i'm gonna cut junk food out for a while and see if that helps.....

~Charlie

I am going to try that but I was just wondering if the processed food.junk food could also be a potential cause for headaches....

If anything in those foods are causing issues, it could be an intolerance for something in the food that is causing it rather than the fact that it is processed or "junk food" - which I am assuming to be sweets / treats / snacks etc. I have a friend who became intolerant of red food dye, for example. Red food dye is found in a LOT of food.

I use the word intolerant over allergy, as there is a clinical difference between the two.

Anything could be a trigger, which is why it is handy to log all food... You can also record in the food notes section how you're feeling and see if you see commonalities appearing.

Sour cream (I love it!!) is one of my triggers (neuro says it's something with how it's processed).

Wine (I've only ever drank Moscato) seems to be a trigger (I think because it quickly dehydrates me).

Interesting because all of these are triggers for me, and the ham was for the nitrates. I found nitrate free bacon and ham and am able to have it in smaller portion sizes.

When I cut out gluten, it took approx. 6 months for the inflammation to go down, but now my triggers are harder to pull (I has aura/migraine every day 2-3 x for almost 2 years)

As for the topic- Yep, just count calories. It was simple in the beginning, but now I lose very little unless I exercise. This promotes the lifting and walking and doing the elliptical to give me the additional calories I need.

As for Mirey. :love: that is all (well there is more but you took care of it in your way sweetheart:smooched: )
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    The OP's experience has pretty much been my experience as well. I simply started out counting calories. I would still eat the same food, but soon found 2 things happenings. First, since the "less healthy" food ate through my calories so quickly I started to eat the higher nutrition/lower calorie food that the clean eaters say I always have to eat, while still enjoying the food I liked before but in greater moderation. Second, I found that my taste for foods expanded so that I now have a bunch of other things I can eat instead of just the stuff I ate before.

I do not eat clean, and likely never will eat clean. Weight loss happens anyway. In fact the only time that was not the case was when I stopped tracking what I eat for a while because I was eating "healthy" foods for the most part. Doing that my weight went up. Now I am tracking and eating whatever I want within my calories and I am losing again just fine.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds even though I did not quit drinking bourbon or beer. Just counted the calories and worked out.
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options

~Charlie

Thanks for listing these and all the advice everyone has given I will definately keep it in mind, by junk food I mean sweets.crisps, chocolate etc

these triggers are interesting, it could be something similar causing my headaches..

thanks again

~Charlie
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    The OP's experience has pretty much been my experience as well. I simply started out counting calories. I would still eat the same food, but soon found 2 things happenings. First, since the "less healthy" food ate through my calories so quickly I started to eat the higher nutrition/lower calorie food that the clean eaters say I always have to eat, while still enjoying the food I liked before but in greater moderation. Second, I found that my taste for foods expanded so that I now have a bunch of other things I can eat instead of just the stuff I ate before.

I do not eat clean, and likely never will eat clean. Weight loss happens anyway. In fact the only time that was not the case was when I stopped tracking what I eat for a while because I was eating "healthy" foods for the most part. Doing that my weight went up. Now I am tracking and eating whatever I want within my calories and I am losing again just fine.

Perfectly said!!!
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options

~Charlie

Interesting because all of these are triggers for me, and the ham was for the nitrates. I found nitrate free bacon and ham and am able to have it in smaller portion sizes.

When I cut out gluten, it took approx. 6 months for the inflammation to go down, but now my triggers are harder to pull (I has aura/migraine every day 2-3 x for almost 2 years)

As for the topic- Yep, just count calories. It was simple in the beginning, but now I lose very little unless I exercise. This promotes the lifting and walking and doing the elliptical to give me the additional calories I need.

As for Mirey. :love: that is all (well there is more but you took care of it in your way sweetheart:smooched: )

Funny... when I cut out most gluten, my acid reflux disappeared. I also have migraine with aura and at one point was having them 4-5 days of the week. Now I take Topamax to prevent them. It works very well for me, gave me my life back.