Just count calories... really?

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    And it doesn't work for me... so?

I love how I eat and if WHAT I eat matters to me and I want to share my experience with other people who are struggling with the "just calories" approach like I did for 20 years (and destroyed my health doing it) why does that have to be continually ridiculed?

I don't care what you eat. However, when someone has a question or a health problem that I have experience with my view is no less valid than the IIFYM crowd. Yet, I'm treated like a piece of *kitten*.
    link?
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Says the guy that was essentially trying to support and encourage a 20 year old to do a 52 day straight water fast.

RDJ_Woah.gif

My mind is full of **** right now.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    >tfw people don't seem to realise you can't meet your macros eating too much "junk" food

lol, no kidding. I like the IIFYM approach a lot, but I usually end up eating something pretty close to a stereotypical "clean" diet if I want to hit my macros within my calorie range.

honestly, this has been my experience.

its just a little treat hear and there on top of what i was doing normally to lose weight, but instead of having an apple, a banana, and a tbls spoon or two of pb i'll just have a candy bar.

its a tiny tweek but it makes a real psychological difference and probably is more sustainable with less lapsing
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to see if this thread is derailed like others like it almost always are...

...because at least a few people will interpret it as a personal attack on all they hold dear...

...because MFP.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :love: popcorn2.gif
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    You rock :drinker:
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has worked for me on twenty years is counting calories. The OP is right. You make smarter choices, when you have fewer calories on your budget, but I love I can still eat what I want in moderation.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I do me. Don't really need to get high and mighty about how others eat, don't eat, or should eat. Calorie rich, calorie light, calorie dense, calorie free, whatevah.

QFT

But damn, the more i'm on the forums the more i am beginning to despise the words "clean eating" "good food" "bad food" "sugar is satan"....you get my drift
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    dyel
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what most people on here are saying. I still can't figure out how someone reads advice like "all you need to do to lose weight is eat at a calorie deficit", and believes that people are saying "eat nothing but crap at a calorie deficit."

Jeebus. Get your micronutrients with good wholesome food, but a candy bar isn't going to send you to dieting hell. That kind of "all-or-nothing" mentality is what throws people off the bandwagon. Excessive restriction leads to binging. The idea that clean eating alone will cause weight loss independent of a deficit fools too many people. Eat your greens and enjoy the damn ice cream once in a while.
    +1
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I had red velvet cheesecake after lunch today.

tumblr_lin0qq5cHJ1qaleq1.gif

ETA - I take Mirey's approach too. I don't feel bad about eating that cheesecake today because I eat plenty of other fruits, veggies, protein, healthy fats, whole grains, etc. A piece of cake a work celebration won't hurt me or derail me.
  • DarkestTimeline
    Options
    Little tip for those who don't think calorie counting works.

You probably shouldn't be on a website designed for counting calories.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I had red velvet cheesecake after lunch today.

tumblr_lin0qq5cHJ1qaleq1.gif

ETA - I take Mirey's approach too. I don't feel bad about eating that cheesecake today because I eat plenty of other fruits, veggies, protein, healthy fats, whole grains, etc. A piece of cake a work celebration won't hurt me or derail me.

Red velvet cheesecake?!?! Why has this never been in my mouth?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what most people on here are saying. I still can't figure out how someone reads advice like "all you need to do to lose weight is eat at a calorie deficit", and believes that people are saying "eat nothing but crap at a calorie deficit."

Jeebus. Get your micronutrients with good wholesome food, but a candy bar isn't going to send you to dieting hell. That kind of "all-or-nothing" mentality is what throws people off the bandwagon. Excessive restriction leads to binging. The idea that clean eating alone will cause weight loss independent of a deficit fools too many people. Eat your greens and enjoy the damn ice cream once in a while.
    Beautifully, succinctly put.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    The old adage 'everything in moderation' springs to mind. Life is too short to be beating yourself up/ fighting your cravings over our food intake. Get your 5 a day sure, but if you fancy the odd cake - go for it! Just allow for it in your calorie intake. It's not rocket science. I hardly think when we're on our deathbeds our thoughts will be 'I should have ate more/less cake' - don't sweat the small stuff. Love. Live. Give.
    Unless the cake brings you to your deathbed early.

Says the guy that was essentially trying to support and encourage a 20 year old to do a 52 day straight water fast.

Wtf seriously?

Level of misinformation: FoxNews

He didn't take any time to ask the length of the fast and continued to stand by it for several posts, encouraging that it was okay even after she said it was for 52 days. So.....

Are you a doctor!?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Little tip for those who don't think calorie counting works.

You probably shouldn't be on a website designed for counting calories.

I don't know that I agree. :) yes this is a calorie counting website.. But it's also fitness. We all enter the "fitness realm" with presumptions... Some may come in not believing in calorie counting, or believing that heavy lifting turns women into the hulk...

This can be a great educational site that challenges our paradigm... And how we start is often not how we end.

I think this is a great place for people who don't believe in calorie counting... :D
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Having been here I see now there are two groups of people, people here to live healthy lives and then all of you people saying that chocolate and diabetes causing foods covered in fat is ok!?

I thought this was a weight loss site?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The old adage 'everything in moderation' springs to mind. Life is too short to be beating yourself up/ fighting your cravings over our food intake. Get your 5 a day sure, but if you fancy the odd cake - go for it! Just allow for it in your calorie intake. It's not rocket science. I hardly think when we're on our deathbeds our thoughts will be 'I should have ate more/less cake' - don't sweat the small stuff. Love. Live. Give.

Wtf seriously?

He didn't take any time to ask the length of the fast and continued to stand by it for several posts, encouraging that it was okay even after she said it was for 52 days. So.....

Are you a doctor!?

Must one be a doctor to say a 52 day water fast is a bad idea?
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options

Wtf seriously?

Are you a doctor!?

Must one be a doctor to say a 52 day water fast is a bad idea?

Lololololol of course.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I like some of my manufactured food stuffs just a little too much to give them up completely... So this plan typically works for me. Though I do need to get better and planning for my macros.