Just count calories... really?

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Having been here I see now there are two groups of people, people here to live healthy lives and then all of you people saying that chocolate and diabetes causing foods covered in fat is ok!?

I thought this was a weight loss site?

:chuckles:

I don't believe there has ever been a study that says certain foods cause diabetes. It is the consumption to excess, particularly of certain foods, that can cause it... But no where in here did I promote or encourage that

Combust much?
  • DarkestTimeline
    Options
    Little tip for those who don't think calorie counting works.

You probably shouldn't be on a website designed for counting calories.

I don't know that I agree. :) yes this is a calorie counting website.. But it's also fitness. We all enter the "fitness realm" with presumptions... Some may come in not believing in calorie counting, or believing that heavy lifting turns women into the hulk...

This can be a great educational site that challenges our paradigm... And how we start is often not how we end.

I think this is a great place for people who don't believe in calorie counting... :D

While I'm loathe to argue with you, even the fitness section of the site (the exercise tab) is calorie centric. You log your food + calories, log your exercise - calories. The forums are a different story, but they're mostly a free for all. If we're judging by the forums I'd say this is an animal shelter, that's the only other place I've seen this many cats.

I think it's a great site for anyone. Because I believe calorie counting works. I think it's a great place for people who don't believe in calorie counting, only in the sense that hopefully at some point they'll realize it really works and we're not all making this up to be mean to them.
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    Having been here I see now there are two groups of people, people here to live healthy lives and then all of you people saying that chocolate and diabetes causing foods covered in fat is ok!?

MODERATION. I drink alcohol occasionally. My chances of having liver cancer are lower than someone who gets smashed everyday.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

I don't believe there has ever been a study that says certain foods cause diabetes. It is the consumption to excess, particularly of certain foods, that can cause it... But no where in here did I promote or encourage that

Combust much?

Just because you are naturally skinny, obvious from your picture! Doesn't mean we can all eat sweets and look like that!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Combust much?

Just because you are naturally skinny, obvious from your picture! Doesn't mean we can all eat sweets and look like that!

Oh.

Popcorn gif here. This is getting good.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Combust much?

LOLOLOLOL

too obvious.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Combust much?

Oh.

Popcorn gif here. This is getting good.

I don't understand
  • DarkestTimeline
    Options

Combust much?

Anything else you know about her just from a picture?

Because I don't think you're Thor's genetically altered clone.

Maybe next you can tell her how lucky she is that she's never had to struggle with her weight. It's only REALLY hard for people like you, right?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I don't think you know what the latter group stand for if that is your take...... You might want to hang around alittle while longer maybe you will see you could not be any more wrong....... I have diabetes and just ate 2 serving of chocolate mini hershey kisses, let me be the first to say it will not kill me doing so... My A1c have average 5.3 the last 2 1/2 years.... Lets not demonize foods here........
  • awintersunrise
    Options
    I'm not primarily using MFP for calorie-counting. I use it to look at WHAT I'm eating. I need to know that yes, that box of macaroni and cheese will squeak in under the calorie limit, but it's going to nuke me with the sodium and I'll feel like a sleepy, headachy sack of mush after eating it.

It's also doing me huge favors as far as tracking what I've eaten and done on days I felt good or bad.
  • MireyGal76
    Options

Combust much?

:laughs:

I guess my 1000+ calorie burns and physical activity level, along with a healthy daily calorie budget had nothing to do with it. All of the other people in my family who carry excess weight must hate me for the good genetics I got.

Perhaps I need to thank the milk man for that.

:flowerforyou:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Myfitnesspal

Not mylessfatnesspal

You should look up Orthorexia.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sock puppet is obvious sock puppet.

admit-it-after-watch-this-gif-you-tried-to-do-the-kung-fu-finger-thing-and-you-realized-that-your-fingers-are-awful-uncorrdinated-hunks-of-useless-flesh.gif
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Combust much?

:laughs:

I guess my 1000+ calorie burns and physical activity level, along with a healthy daily calorie budget had nothing to do with it. All of the other people in my family who carry excess weight must hate me for the good genetics I got.

Perhaps I need to thank the milk man for that.

:flowerforyou:

Don't you just love what people can perceive just by looking at a profile picture.... If that was the case one might think I wear ugly xmas sweater this time of year....... :glasses:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Mirey.....great post and agreed 100%

Besides that I'm totally in for the fantastic gif's and hilarious bs that is happening every 3rd post :drinker:
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    My "troll detector" is acting up again
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

Combust much?

Hey, MireyGal, do you have any before pictures?

I don't know where MIrey started out, but I do know several other people on this site who have similar bodies to hers, now, and who eat the way she does, who started out as anything but "naturally skinny" (Cranq comes to mind, hope you don't mind me pointing you out.)

And even those of us who started out with less to lose (I had 20 pounds to lose, a bit more if you count some of the pregnancy weight) and who've come within inches of our goal now aren't necessarily "naturally skinny." I am 5 feet tall, so 10 or 20 pounds can make a big difference on my frame, and I have to be vigilant about my intake to avoid gaining. I like to eat :laugh: so it's really easy to let the scale creep up if I'm not watching it. But even with being vigilant, I eat the "junk." I doesn't compose the vast majority of my diet (I don't think anyone claims that it should be the majority of what you eat). But I have at least one treat a day - ice cream, a snickers bar, birthday cake, whatever. I just try to fit it into my calorie allowance, and make sure I'm still being regular with my exercise, and it's all good.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I quickly found that while I love those processed and sweet foods, they sucked my calorie limit for the day by noon!
    Exactly.
    The point

Your tinfoil wrapped head

OMG OMG OMG!!!! Love this!!!!!!

I also agree with the OP.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Combust much?

Ok, now THAT is crossing the line. I used to use that exact same excuse for myself ALL. THE. TIME. "THOSE people are skinny because they're NATURALLY skinny. I can't lose weight because my body naturally wants to be heavy...I'm not slim...I have a large frame..." Blah blah freaking blah. What garbage. I wasn't fat because I ate sweets, I was fat because I ATE TOO MUCH FOOD. Period. But then I learned how to eat an appropriate amount of food and ... MAGIC: I WAS NOT FAT ANYMORE. The only thing I could blame was myself and my own defeatist attitude. Once I gave that crap up it became pretty clear that I, in fact, was more than capable of being slim, fit, muscular and healthy, AND in control of my body and my weight. Oh, and I still eat sweets.

YEESH.

/rant

edit b/c rage typos
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Little tip for those who don't think calorie counting works.

You probably shouldn't be on a website designed for counting calories.

I don't know that I agree. :) yes this is a calorie counting website.. But it's also fitness. We all enter the "fitness realm" with presumptions... Some may come in not believing in calorie counting, or believing that heavy lifting turns women into the hulk...

This can be a great educational site that challenges our paradigm... And how we start is often not how we end.

I think this is a great place for people who don't believe in calorie counting... :D

While I'm loathe to argue with you, even the fitness section of the site (the exercise tab) is calorie centric. You log your food + calories, log your exercise - calories. The forums are a different story, but they're mostly a free for all. If we're judging by the forums I'd say this is an animal shelter, that's the only other place I've seen this many cats.

I think it's a great site for anyone. Because I believe calorie counting works. I think it's a great place for people who don't believe in calorie counting, only in the sense that hopefully at some point they'll realize it really works and we're not all making this up to be mean to them.

I love discussion and I totally agree with this last statement. :)

:smooched: