Just count calories... really?

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Little tip for those who don't think calorie counting works.

You probably shouldn't be on a website designed for counting calories.

I don't know that I agree. :) yes this is a calorie counting website.. But it's also fitness. We all enter the "fitness realm" with presumptions... Some may come in not believing in calorie counting, or believing that heavy lifting turns women into the hulk...

This can be a great educational site that challenges our paradigm... And how we start is often not how we end.

I think this is a great place for people who don't believe in calorie counting... :D

While I'm loathe to argue with you, even the fitness section of the site (the exercise tab) is calorie centric. You log your food + calories, log your exercise - calories. The forums are a different story, but they're mostly a free for all. If we're judging by the forums I'd say this is an animal shelter, that's the only other place I've seen this many cats.

I think it's a great site for anyone. Because I believe calorie counting works. I think it's a great place for people who don't believe in calorie counting, only in the sense that hopefully at some point they'll realize it really works and we're not all making this up to be mean to them.

I'm curious about your account, since it was just set up this month, and you seem extremely conversant in the forums and such. Retread?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Having been here I see now there are two groups of people, people here to live healthy lives and then all of you people saying that chocolate and diabetes causing foods covered in fat is ok!?

I thought this was a weight loss site?

:chuckles:

I don't believe there has ever been a study that says certain foods cause diabetes. It is the consumption to excess, particularly of certain foods, that can cause it... But no where in here did I promote or encourage that

Combust much?

Just because you are naturally skinny, obvious from your picture! Doesn't mean we can all eat sweets and look like that!

:laughs:

I guess my 1000+ calorie burns and physical activity level, along with a healthy daily calorie budget had nothing to do with it. All of the other people in my family who carry excess weight must hate me for the good genetics I got.

Perhaps I need to thank the milk man for that.

:flowerforyou:

Don't you just love what people can perceive just by looking at a profile picture.... If that was the case one might think I wear ugly xmas sweater this time of year....... :glasses:

NO! Stop with the sweater shaming!!!!
  • DarkestTimeline
    Options
    I'm curious about your account, since it was just set up this month, and you seem extremely conversant in the forums and such. Retread?

Well I don't think it's nice to call names... And I thought we'd switched to "special needs" in polite society?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Having been here I see now there are two groups of people, people here to live healthy lives and then all of you people saying that chocolate and diabetes causing foods covered in fat is ok!?

CALORIE. DEFICIT.

ETA: so because i tend to follow more along the IIFYM, then I'm not healthy?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

Dude, you make vegans look bad. Just stop. We got it.

You are like the Westboro Church of Veganism

Perfect...LOL!

Dying laughing :laugh:

This was the biggest laugh I've ever gotten from these boards, honestly! (I know, I'm probably a pretty dull person)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

What foods cause diabetes? What research is that from?
    tumblr_mxrh1lqS4j1sj3oxho1_250.gif
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

What foods cause diabetes? What research is that from?
    tumblr_mxrh1lqS4j1sj3oxho1_250.gif

I didn't know there were foods that could cause chocolate. I feel like I should get some of these chocolate causing marvels.
  • MireyGal76
    Options

:chuckles:

I don't believe there has ever been a study that says certain foods cause diabetes. It is the consumption to excess, particularly of certain foods, that can cause it... But no where in here did I promote or encourage that

Combust much?

Just because you are naturally skinny, obvious from your picture! Doesn't mean we can all eat sweets and look like that!

Hey, MireyGal, do you have any before pictures?

I don't know where MIrey started out, but I do know several other people on this site who have similar bodies to hers, now, and who eat the way she does, who started out as anything but "naturally skinny" (Cranq comes to mind, hope you don't mind me pointing you out.)

And even those of us who started out with less to lose (I had 20 pounds to lose, a bit more if you count some of the pregnancy weight) and who've come within inches of our goal now aren't necessarily "naturally skinny." I am 5 feet tall, so 10 or 20 pounds can make a big difference on my frame, and I have to be vigilant about my intake to avoid gaining. I like to eat :laugh: so it's really easy to let the scale creep up if I'm not watching it. But even with being vigilant, I eat the "junk." I doesn't compose the vast majority of my diet (I don't think anyone claims that it should be the majority of what you eat). But I have at least one treat a day - ice cream, a snickers bar, birthday cake, whatever. I just try to fit it into my calorie allowance, and make sure I'm still being regular with my exercise, and it's all good.

I will be the first to say that I have never been obese. I spent my entire childhood watching my mom and aunts struggle with obesity their entire lives and I developed both an unhealthy perception of food, and a horrible perception of myself.

I have also been active in sports, running, swimming, summer sports, etc for a long time.

my before pic is a lot of people's desired afters. And anyone who is obese can feel free to dismiss my perspective because I don't have the "credibility" of an obese "before" pic.

that said... I eat a lot, and I bust my *kitten* - partly to sustain and improve on what I have, and also to allow me to keep eating the foods I love.

I box, and I run, and I'm trying to incorporate lifting into my life (which is crazy and I'm sucking at it).

this is the closest thing I have to a "before"
    DSCF0785.jpg

you can see my current in my profile pic

I haven't lost a lot of weight... maybe 20 - 25 pounds? I have lost about 6 dress sizes.

So again, feel free to dismiss me. But if you look at people like Ed Davenport (sexy christmas sweater guy) and yoovie and mizz_legz and SCORES of others - they've lost over 100 pounds and say the same thing as me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Well I don't think it's nice to call names... And I thought we'd switched to "special needs" in polite society?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Not retard; retread, as in retread a tire. The person set up a new account.

If you're joking, I didn't get the sarcasm.
  • TheJhazminShow
    Options

Exciting Facts to Blow Your Mind!

1. Fat is not "Bad"
    1a. There are different kinds of fat and they have different effects. Fat is also very satiating and vital for bodily function.
    2. Foods don't, on their own, cause the dibeetus
    3. Calories and macros are important, regardless of what method of eating you subscribe to
    4. "Clean eating" is not required for loss, gain, or maintenance
    5. Sugar is not "Bad" either - same caveats as Fat
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yep...there are only two groups and they never ever over-lap.

Also, your post is based on incorrect assumptions re foods, in addition to the incorrect assumptions about 'you people'.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lpqojyk9k11qbadqqo1_400.gif

Who is white kitten beta guy? Someone knows.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good post. Gets to the crux of things that many many people miss. When you are watching your intake, especially when on a caloric deficit, you kind of have to eat less 'treats' as they are calorie dense and often not as filling, as well as being harder to hit your macros, especially protein. I know I do (I still eat ice cream every day however - just smaller portions).
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Where did kitty-cat rant master go?!? I was really enjoying reading this thread, and now I'm at the end but still have 30 more minutes to kill at work.

Kitty-cat, come back....COME BACK!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :drinker: To moderation.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Where did kitty-cat rant master go?!? I was really enjoying reading this thread, and now I'm at the end but still have 30 more minutes to kill at work.

I'm still waiting to get slapped for not having credibility because my before picture is not worse. :frown:
  • Notthatguykh
    Notthatguykh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Jokes on them plain chicken and rice is my favourite.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Are you talking about me?

ETA: Oh oops, nvm. I didn't realize the possible troll changed his account picture to a cat. Arrrggghhhhh....
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options

I'm still waiting to get slapped for not having credibility because my before picture is not worse. :frown:

yeah, I still see abs in the before pic....YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!

/sarcasm