Just count calories... really?

Options

Replies

• mizfiesta70
    Options
    The old adage 'everything in moderation' springs to mind. Life is too short to be beating yourself up/ fighting your cravings over our food intake. Get your 5 a day sure, but if you fancy the odd cake - go for it! Just allow for it in your calorie intake. It's not rocket science. I hardly think when we're on our deathbeds our thoughts will be 'I should have ate more/less cake' - don't sweat the small stuff. Love. Live. Give.
  • athensguy
    Options
    I think people waste a lot of time worrying about macros.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    And it doesn't work for me... so?

I love how I eat and if WHAT I eat matters to me and I want to share my experience with other people who are struggling with the "just calories" approach like I did for 20 years (and destroyed my health doing it) why does that have to be continually ridiculed?

I don't care what you eat. However, when someone has a question or a health problem that I have experience with my view is no less valid than the IIFYM crowd. Yet, I'm treated like a piece of *kitten*.

First of all, I am sorry if feel you are you are being treated like a piece of *kitten*.
    You need to do what works for you.

I am not ridiculing you at all - this post did not put down any other view point.

All it did was explain why I choose it.

I hope you find what works for you.. and if you have, then congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    Oh yeah!!! That is why I can stick to this - just plan, and the more active I am .....the more I can eat! I just need to drink more water and eat less sodium ...causing me to fluctuate! I will just keep counting........... hoping to lose this weight quickly!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The old adage 'everything in moderation' springs to mind. Life is too short to be beating yourself up/ fighting your cravings over our food intake. Get your 5 a day sure, but if you fancy the odd cake - go for it! Just allow for it in your calorie intake. It's not rocket science. I hardly think when we're on our deathbeds our thoughts will be 'I should have ate more/less cake' - don't sweat the small stuff. Love. Live. Give.
    Unless the cake brings you to your deathbed early.
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    I know personally I like eating clean. I feel better. Of course I have my cheat days....or weeks....but overall junk food just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I also go to a butcher that only serves free range, hormone free, antibiotic free products, so that could be why as well.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I think people waste a lot of time worrying about macros.

XQyfcU6.gif
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    I have found that now, because I budget my "bad" food, I take time to enjoy those 200-300 cals. I truly savor the treats instead of binge on them. This method has helped me develop what I feel to be a healthier relationship with what I eat.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I know personally I like eating clean. I feel better. Of course I have my cheat days....or weeks....but overall junk food just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I also go to a butcher that only serves free range, hormone free, antibiotic free products, so that could be why as well.

What is sweet (hehe) is that I have found that this method has actually caused me to desire the bad less and the good more... By counting calories and trying to fit more food into my day for the budget I have, I am eating much better than I used to... and the better I eat, the less I crave the other stuff.

It's just the process I took to get where you are now has been one that I can psychologically handle - and most of my issues with eating are mental - emotional eating is a biggie for me. :)

Congrats!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I quickly found that while I love those processed and sweet foods, they sucked my calorie limit for the day by noon!
    Exactly.
    The point

Your tinfoil wrapped head
    How in the heck do you get tin foil from a single word!?!?!? Lol haters are going to hate.

Sorry, I didn't realize I'm only allowed to judge your paranoia on a thread to thread basis.
  • MireyGal76
    Options

Well... if it is arsenic laced... maybe...

but I have a feeling that all the other evils in this world will probably get to me before the cake will. lol
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I have found that now, because I budget my "bad" food, I take time to enjoy those 200-300 cals. I truly savor the treats instead of binge on them. This method has helped me develop what I feel to be a healthier relationship with what I eat.

hehe... it's like a "date night" LOL
  • djeffreys10
    Options

I quickly found that while I love those processed and sweet foods, they sucked my calorie limit for the day by noon!
    Exactly.
    The point

Your tinfoil wrapped head
    How in the heck do you get tin foil from a single word!?!?!? Lol haters are going to hate.

Sorry, I didn't realize I'm only allowed to judge your paranoia on a thread to thread basis.

akFbAbw.gif
  • MireyGal76
    Options

akFbAbw.gif

this gif took me to a happy place. :flowerforyou:
  • djeffreys10
    Options

akFbAbw.gif

this gif took me to a happy place. :flowerforyou:

BK7hE8h.gif
  • 1mountainmama
    Options
    I just have to say, I LOVE EVERYTHING about your post! The fact of the matter is, different things work for different people. I like to count the calories, and see the number to know that I am right on track, even if I have an occasional treat. You said it all perfectly, way to go!!!
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    I am going to try a "large pizza a day" bulking diet. I will let you know how it goes.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I am going to try a "large pizza a day" bulking diet. I will let you know how it goes.

you should see Brainy Burro's "eat pizza every day for a month" group - he did well on that diet! :)
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options

you should see Brainy Burro's "eat pizza every day for a month" group - he did well on that diet! :)

The problem is that by the end of it, I would forever hate pizza. I don't want to hate pizza :(
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Totally relate to this post.

My friends will look at me funny when I tell them I eat ice cream almost every night. When I suggest getting a burger they remind me I'm on a "diet"......and I say..."yeah....and?????"

I honestly believe it's because of concentrating on calorie in vs calorie out and not "bad" and "good" foods that I have been able to keep at this thing.

I am so damn happy I found MFP!!!