Just count calories... really?

Options

Replies

• Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I quickly found that while I love those processed and sweet foods, they sucked my calorie limit for the day by noon!

I do this all the time... nothing a brisk 5k can't fix later that day! : )
    You can't burn off food chemicals with running, just calories.

Dude, you make vegans look bad. Just stop. We got it.

You are like the Westboro Church of Veganism

lmfao! ikr? *drinks his coke zero*
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    The old adage 'everything in moderation' springs to mind. Life is too short to be beating yourself up/ fighting your cravings over our food intake. Get your 5 a day sure, but if you fancy the odd cake - go for it! Just allow for it in your calorie intake. It's not rocket science. I hardly think when we're on our deathbeds our thoughts will be 'I should have ate more/less cake' - don't sweat the small stuff. Love. Live. Give.
    Unless the cake brings you to your deathbed early.

Well... if it is arsenic laced... maybe...

but I have a feeling that all the other evils in this world will probably get to me before the cake will. lol
    Maybe, but most people who die in this country die from heart disease and cancer. Look at this info from the CDC; most of the diseases people die from are diet related illnesses. These are some of the same illnesses that have been successfully treated with proper diet.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

car accidents, plane crashes, train crashes
    muggings, drive by shootings, random acts of violence
    tsunamis, earth quakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanic eruptions
    smoking, drinking, pesticides, that crap on the inside of your canned veggies, microwaves, plastics...

there are a lot of things that can kill me out there....
    I mitigate the risks I feel are biggest

But I refuse to be bubble wrapped...

Why would I want to live a really long time, if it means that I have to stop everything that I enjoy?

ETA... screw that... I think it might be fun to be bubble wrapped at least once. *gets giddy at the thought of all that bubble popping*
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    >tfw people don't seem to realise you can't meet your macros eating too much "junk" food
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I quickly found that while I love those processed and sweet foods, they sucked my calorie limit for the day by noon!

I do this all the time... nothing a brisk 5k can't fix later that day! : )
    You can't burn off food chemicals with running, just calories.

stewie-head-turn.gif
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    ETA... screw that... I think it might be fun to be bubble wrapped at least once. *gets giddy at the thought of all that bubble popping*

that would be awesome
  • MireyGal76
    Options

that would be awesome

*ADDS TO BUCKET LIST*
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    This is exactly what most people on here are saying. I still can't figure out how someone reads advice like "all you need to do to lose weight is eat at a calorie deficit", and believes that people are saying "eat nothing but crap at a calorie deficit."

Jeebus. Get your micronutrients with good wholesome food, but a candy bar isn't going to send you to dieting hell. That kind of "all-or-nothing" mentality is what throws people off the bandwagon. Excessive restriction leads to binging. The idea that clean eating alone will cause weight loss independent of a deficit fools too many people. Eat your greens and enjoy the damn ice cream once in a while.
  • You go girl!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Perfect...LOL!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    And it doesn't work for me... so?

I love how I eat and if WHAT I eat matters to me and I want to share my experience with other people who are struggling with the "just calories" approach like I did for 20 years (and destroyed my health doing it) why does that have to be continually ridiculed?

I don't care what you eat. However, when someone has a question or a health problem that I have experience with my view is no less valid than the IIFYM crowd. Yet, I'm treated like a piece of *kitten*.

i certainly don't disrespect your point of view and dietary choices. how did it ruin your health tho? the IIFYM approach i assume your talking about
  • DarkestTimeline
    Options
    Moderation works.

I like food. I plan to eat it for the rest of my life. I do not plan to live on juice and water.

Moderation > Fad diet
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Nothing is off limits to me but I've noticed that I am much more mindful of how I choose to spend my daily calories. So, while nothing is off limits, certain foods are eaten with much less frequency because most of the time I would rather eat something that offers me better satiety or volume or nutritional value.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Perfect...LOL!

Dying laughing :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    The old adage 'everything in moderation' springs to mind. Life is too short to be beating yourself up/ fighting your cravings over our food intake. Get your 5 a day sure, but if you fancy the odd cake - go for it! Just allow for it in your calorie intake. It's not rocket science. I hardly think when we're on our deathbeds our thoughts will be 'I should have ate more/less cake' - don't sweat the small stuff. Love. Live. Give.

Says the guy that was essentially trying to support and encourage a 20 year old to do a 52 day straight water fast.
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options

Says the guy that was essentially trying to support and encourage a 20 year old to do a 52 day straight water fast.

Wtf seriously?

Level of misinformation: FoxNews
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Mirey. I'm going to ask you this one time, and one time only.

How much are they paying you?
    Are you wearing a wire?
    Are we being recorded?
    Make your left hand into a fist if you are saying this against your will.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I dig this
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Wtf seriously?

Level of misinformation: FoxNews

He didn't take any time to ask the length of the fast and continued to stand by it for several posts, encouraging that it was okay even after she said it was for 52 days. So.....
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Mirey. I'm going to ask you this one time, and one time only.

How much are they paying you?
    Are you wearing a wire?
    Are we being recorded?
    Make your left hand into a fist if you are saying this against your will.

shhh1.gif

Heath-Ledger-Wink-Smile-Gif.gif
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    >tfw people don't seem to realise you can't meet your macros eating too much "junk" food

lol, no kidding. I like the IIFYM approach a lot, but I usually end up eating something pretty close to a stereotypical "clean" diet if I want to hit my macros within my calorie range.