Just count calories... really?

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lpqojyk9k11qbadqqo1_400.gif

Who is white kitten beta guy? Someone knows.

Edited because I failed to read the comment properly. I thought you were asking the identity of your gif, I was happy to point out Lambchop!

Lamb Chop is the original sock puppet. I think late 1950s, early 1960s. Beta Bill Rambo or whatever his name is (who had the white kitteh av) has to be someone's sock puppet account.

I'm hoping someone outs him or her.

Lamb Chop (and Shari Lewis) had a show on PBS in the 90's as well... until Ms. Lewis tragically passed... but her daughter is still working to keep Lamb Chop alive...

Sorry to deviate off topic... but I love Lamb Chop. :D
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Having been here I see now there are two groups of people, people here to live healthy lives and then all of you people saying that chocolate and diabetes causing foods covered in fat is ok!?

I thought this was a weight loss site?

:chuckles:

I don't believe there has ever been a study that says certain foods cause diabetes. It is the consumption to excess, particularly of certain foods, that can cause it... But no where in here did I promote or encourage that

Combust much?

Just because you are naturally skinny, obvious from your picture! Doesn't mean we can all eat sweets and look like that!

Naturally skinny? Bwahahahahaha! And I suppose genetics are keeping others from being thin...

LImfI16.jpg

All things in moderation. Just because some people have not learned the difference betweena cookie and a plate of cookies does not change that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The old adage 'everything in moderation' springs to mind. Life is too short to be beating yourself up/ fighting your cravings over our food intake. Get your 5 a day sure, but if you fancy the odd cake - go for it! Just allow for it in your calorie intake. It's not rocket science. I hardly think when we're on our deathbeds our thoughts will be 'I should have ate more/less cake' - don't sweat the small stuff. Love. Live. Give.
    Unless the cake brings you to your deathbed early.

Well... if it is arsenic laced... maybe...

but I have a feeling that all the other evils in this world will probably get to me before the cake will. lol
    Maybe, but most people who die in this country die from heart disease and cancer. Look at this info from the CDC; most of the diseases people die from are diet related illnesses. These are some of the same illnesses that have been successfully treated with proper diet.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Where does it say that specific dietary choices lead to these diseases? Proper diet generally means eating a caloric level so as not to be overweight/obese. Where does it indicate what type of diet? Please point me to it. Or are you saying that if moderation and portion control leads to a better chance of not being overweight, the risks still exist, and that is what the link is saying? If so, where does it do that?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!

There are 3 basic dimensions to controlling your nutrition - 1) eating the right amount of calories, 2) eating the right mix of macros, and 3) eating high quality food. If you just do 1 & 2 but are treating your stomach like a garbage can, you aren't maximizing your potential.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    [And how many times can I write "one" in one post?]
    At least one more than that:

[And how many times can one write "one" in one post?]

Try harder next time.:bigsmile:

Damn you!!! Or is that Damn one??? I'm confused now.

:sad:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

One is damned either way...damned if one does, damned if one does not.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It's kinda weird to be somewhat ashamed that you didn't start counting calories in a worse position. I know I will never fully understand how obese people feel. And I make a point not to minimize their struggles.

And yet, its so easy for people to minimize mine.

And that is a terrible thing. No one should minimize someone else's experience, especially when it is well-articulated (like yours) and without a lot of the random int3rwebzzzz hysteria some people do (zomfg you will never understand how HARD my life is sorts).

Your ability to not minimize someone else's struggles is part of why no one is probably jumping up and saying 'skinny witch don't know what she's talkin' 'bout' :)

I got really fat, but I haven't always been fat - so I can't relate as well to those people who have had this struggle with obesity their whole lives, especially through those terrible school years when people can be so cruel and everything cuts to the bone. It doesn't mean I can't make good points that they can listen and learn from!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Lamb Chop (and Shari Lewis) had a show on PBS in the 90's as well... until Ms. Lewis tragically passed... but her daughter is still working to keep Lamb Chop alive...

Sorry to deviate off topic... but I love Lamb Chop. :D

I saw her daughter doing a show at the Magic Castle in Hollywood, and it was amusing, but I felt she really missed her mark -- if Lambchop had suddenly developed a really foul mouth and turned all dirty I think it would have been way funnier ;)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    @Mirey
    9pnnlw.jpg
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, Mirey. All the flowers for you.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: etc.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    I agree with OP. I think macros are far superior to counting calories, but I would never admit that on MFP. But this is a safe haven right? Like an AA meeting? No one else will know I'm admitting to this right? OMG RIGHT???
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP. I think macros are far superior to counting calories, but I would never admit that on MFP. But this is a safe haven right? Like an AA meeting? No one else will know I'm admitting to this right? OMG RIGHT???

geeze... some things you don't even ADMIT to your THERAPIST!
    lalala.gif

kidding! :wink:
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    @Mirey
    9pnnlw.jpg
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker:

:love:

Thank you!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Excellent post, Mirey. All the flowers for you.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: etc.

All the flowers back at you! and... even... some...

:cauliflowerforyou:
  • SoilFoodWeb
    SoilFoodWeb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I quickly found that while I love those processed and sweet foods, they sucked my calorie limit for the day by noon!

I do this all the time... nothing a brisk 5k can't fix later that day! : )
    You can't burn off food chemicals with running, just calories.

Dude, you make vegans look bad. Just stop. We got it.

You are like the Westboro Church of Veganism

The old adage 'everything in moderation' springs to mind. Life is too short to be beating yourself up/ fighting your cravings over our food intake. Get your 5 a day sure, but if you fancy the odd cake - go for it! Just allow for it in your calorie intake. It's not rocket science. I hardly think when we're on our deathbeds our thoughts will be 'I should have ate more/less cake' - don't sweat the small stuff. Love. Live. Give.
    Unless the cake brings you to your deathbed early.

Says the guy that was essentially trying to support and encourage a 20 year old to do a 52 day straight water fast.

Wtf seriously?

Level of misinformation: FoxNews

so-much-win-meme_zpsf78b7005.png
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I believe you because you look great! I allow treats too! As long as they dont compose most of my cal intakes :) I dont think a diet that is too restrictive can bring about the effects that I'm wanting to see in myself :)

DITTO!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    "Eat all the addictive processed crap you want, just count calories"

I read this statement in one of the other threads, and it was intended as a slur to those who follow this mantra.
    I just wanted to say WHY that mantra works for me.

I LOVE donuts, fancy coffees, ranch dressing, pizza, ice cream, cookies, and ooooooh DORITOS... pretty much most of the foods that are labeled "bad", I have a soft spot for.

When I decided I wanted a six pack, my friend told me I'd never be able to get one because I'd have to eat "clean" - cut out ALL of those things that I love. I wrote it off and said, "well, I guess I'll never get a six pack then".

When I found MFP, I was introduced to calorie counting. I'd heard about it before, but I had NO IDEA where to start... protein? fat? carbs? sodium? :sad: It confused the HELL out of me.

I committed to counting calories and staying within my target range... which at the time was around 1800 calories per day.

I quickly found that while I love those processed and sweet foods, they sucked my calorie limit for the day by noon!

So... I began to adjust... I naturally started cutting back, because I was determined to stay within my calories, and I love to eat. I hate feeling hungry. A 500 calorie donut satisfies my emotions temporarily, but 8 ounces of chicken breast does that soooo much more.

I allow myself treats. I eat so called "bad" food - daily - but I also make SMARTER choices... and those smarter choices helped me get to where I am now, without trying to live a life that I would hate and I know would cause me to binge.

tldr_trollcat.JPG
    I count calories. I love to eat. I do not eat "clean" but I am certainly eating CLEANER... because it helps me feel fuller longer. I allow treats. I live and enjoy life. And it works FOR ME.

Do what works for you. :)
    th?id=H.4591918271824377&pid=15.1
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

One is damned either way...damned if one does, damned if one does not.
    If one could only tell you how much you've done for one.
    The_Music_Man_Quotes_Shakespeare.png
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah?! Well... well... I bet you're all just a bunch of shills for Big Gluten. The bready menace has spread its yeasty roots far and deep; clearly you're all morally bankrupt, as well.

Plus, you're just jealous that my clean eating makes me a better person, over all. I bet you all eat babies on the weekend, too. If it fits your macros, right?!

hurr_durr_derp_face_hurr_More_Derps_For_Herping-s500x334-175285-580.jpg
  • CrimsonStain
    CrimsonStain Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I certainly love vegetables, fruits and some meats; I naturally sway towards the "clean" selection of foods based on my taste for them as well as how I was raised. I have only a few weaknesses, but I noticed if I ever tried to completely sever my connection to them, particularly chocolate...I would end up collapsing into a full-blown on binge and feel like crap afterwards! So moderation indeed works for me and I congratulate you on embracing a healthier diet but still living life and eating what you love =) Besides, I know that restriction can make the heart (or tummy) grow fonder as opposed to allowing yourself unlimited access.

Everyone's different :glasses: