do people make comments on what you eat?

Options
12346»

Replies

• shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    yep, being vegetarian in france , land of foie gras makes you get some interesting comments... people are usually just clueless, my uncle the other day : "oh your vegetarian..." 5 minutes later "have some sausage!"
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Not often enough - but then I like a good argument. I rocked up to my gym eating a Crunchie the other day. And then I pulled out a few Quality Streets from my pocket midway through a session. All accounted for in my food log, of course!

problem-troll-smiley-emoticon.jpg
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I eat every few hours...it sped my metabolism so I too have the cookie if I want. I finally made my diary private so I wouldn't get the people who are perfect telling me how imperfect I am..lol. I went from a size 14 to a size 6 and have been a size 6 for more than a year...I look and feel great and when I'm hungry...I EAT! :)
  • Madmarsha
    Options
    Since I'm not on a diet, I don't use that word. But people will and I know that most people mean well. I know how much I've learned about myself and eating just recently so I can't expect people to get that immediately or at all until it's no longer "new hat" and just not an issue anymore. But I also know I know things they don't because I've been reading a lot.

And here's the other thing: When I was eating stupidly and putting ON the weight, I wouldn't have tolerated anyone commenting on what I chose to eat and would have told them to MYOB. I see no reason to allow anyone to comment on it now either negatively or positively, right? I also tend to get incensed when people come talk to my husband and I while eating out (my husband is MUCH more of an extrovert than me) and he's finished but I'm still [trying] to enjoy my expensive food. I don't expect them to understand how much I'm working on really enjoying my food for the first time ever; but, regardless, I think it's rude and why I don't prefer to go to restaurants where my husband knows everybody. I appreciate being friendly but how's about not DURING the time I'm actively eating.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I get - are you eating again, he eats like a hungry bear, he won't eat that, you're always eating and my favorite I say myself..." I come to work to eat".

Sounds like even though you eat what you want that you're still eating at a deficit. I only caution this with the words of Tony Horton (P90X), you can eat Twinkies and lose weight but you'll still be a Twinkie on the inside. Eat healthy to be healthy inside and out.

Congrats on your weight loss
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    I'm finicky. I eat many of the same things often.
    People have always asked how I can stand eating most of the same stuff all the time.
    It just doesn't bother me, really.

Otherwise, I get a lot of "what? You ate PIZZA?! That's not 'diet food'!

I say, I know... I'm not on a diet.

This - exactly...
    I eat the same things most days too... there is a guy at work who says to me 'oh, its fruit time' whenever I go get my hand cut and measured bowl of fruit...Or he will say - "what no chicken today" when I decide instead to get a sandwich....it kinda creeps me out... I just smile.

My family though constantly ask if I can have something they are eating, because "I thought you were dieting", or ask me how I can eat some things and still lose weight. I say to everyone - A) I am not dieting and B) Moderation not Deprivation!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    People have always commented on how I eat - my whole life =) I'm probably the pickiest eater you've met with the most peculiar habits - i.e. my food doesn't touch each other in my plate...and the list goes on =)

The comments I sometimes get is you must be starving yourself - you are disappearing - I hope you are done losing weight.

My answers: I don't starve myself - I love food too much (well, the food I actually eat!) I eat what I want when I want including a bowl of chips every night. - No I'm not disappearing - I'm exactly where I should be. - Yes, I'm done losing weight.

The answers in my head: same - Maybe you should disappear with your stupid comments. - I'll be done losing when I decide when I'm done - not when you think I should be done.
  • adorbis
    Options
    People used to, but nobody really comments on my eating habits anymore. If anything is said, it will be a "cheat day" reference (as they eat pizza for the 5th time of the week), but usually nothing more than that.
  • pacsqueen
    Options
    For a long time i told almost no one (ESPECIALLY family members) that i had changed my eating habits because i wasnt interested in listening to their "helpful" comments. I've now lost 62 pounds and most people now know that i eat differently. Some do occasionally try to add their two-cents when they feel the need but my usual response now (with a smile of course!) is one of the following:

"Well, this seems to have been working just fine for me!" or if i'm feeling a bit cranky, you might get "Thanks, Slim!". I'm not perfect but I it works. .
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    I often get. Are you allowed to eat that, you shouldn't eat that and can you eat that? I eat what ever I want I don't eat clean low fat or low carb. I have lost over 69 lbs. since starting on here in Sept 2012 but since my heaviest March 2012 I have lost over 81 lbs. If I want a cookie I will eat one if I want a piece of Chocolate I eat one and If I want ice cream I eat it. Ever since I started on here I wanted to see if I could lose the weight without depriving myself of all the foods I like. It has worked for me. I don't plan to change.

What comments have people made about what you eat?

me too. but hey if ur within calories who cares do what you gotta do. I did that in the beginning but it did more harm for me than good so now I just try to have those things once in a while within the caloric limit
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I had one friend who kept looking at the things I was eating—beef and broccoli with lo mein, Italian food another time—and kept saying that it wasn't diet food. I finally had to explain to her when she mentioned the Chinese food that it wasn't about eating certain foods, just less of it!
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!! I have had people say stuff to me in the past....a while back a friend(well not a friend after her comments) asked me to eat out with her...i was in the process of telling the waiter what i wanted and she interrupted me an said dont you wanna get this instead of that....i mean isnt it healthier??....i looked at her and said i dont care....i felt so embarrassed i barely ate...i agree with you though...i dont think you should deprive yourself....i think you should eat what you want if you are craving something...i used to think that depriving myself was the best way...but really no one really plans to deprive their self their whole life...so you should eat what you would normally eat but less and smarter, healthier versions of it!
  • L4gym
    L4gym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes I get it a lot - particularly at work. The tutting and finger wagging and knowing sideway glances! You're doing this right in my opinion - it's a lifestyle not a diet. Slow but sure is much more likely to become a lifelong habit than depriving yourself and missing out on nice meals with friends and the odd bit of chocolate. I log everything I eat and it's not often I go over. I've lost 42llb since January this year and I'm very happy with that. Good luck :-)

Exactly! I hate the word "diet" so much.
  • akoorn1982
    akoorn1982 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My mum had a little slip of the tongue last weekend. She is normally very supportive though. We were having diner together and she finshed with some apple sauce. She immediatly closed the jar saying: you can't have it.... jaw meet table. So I told to please next time ask me if I can have it . If it is within my cal.count I can... please don't simply assume that I can't. She felt a bit stupid....
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    On here they did. I made my diary private because of it.

People actually seeing what I eat, have never once made a negative comment in the almost two years I have been doing this.

My husband has asked me a couple of times, "do you feel full?", after seeing what I have eaten, but he has never had a weight problem and eats a huge amount of food, way more than my correct portion sizes. He is extremely active, and has a job where he is constantly moving around.
  • itsjemma
    itsjemma Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    On MFP, not so much. Outside of MFP, absolutely, especially during the holiday season.

With my line of work, we often get many tins of chocolates, biscuits, sausage rolls etc gifted to us which we usually nibble at whilst on the job. Yesterday, I took a chocolate from one of the tins, and one of my colleagues said to me "You're actually going to eat one? I'm shocked". I had to use all my will power to stop myself from eye rolling. I've never denied myself anything since deciding to lose weight, why would one chocolate stop me now?

I just choose to ignore other peoples comments. I'm doing fine as it is, I'll carry on.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!