Harming children to make yourself feel good?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaand waiting for the thread to lock.....

Your welcome.

I have a welcome? What's that?

Its an idiom

How can something own an idiom?
    Dying.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No. I'm just trying to keep them healthy. Sports/exercise are a part of keeping them healthy, and sports just aren't as fun if you lose all the time.

I don't mean to sound cold, but if he's losing all the time, it's not because Grandma gave him some cookies. Maybe you could try finding something he's better at?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I like where this is going. O.o:

Totally unrelated AT ALL but I just realized that your profile pic is not what I thought it was. This entire time I thought you had panty hose on your head (and I even saw a face in the shadows of your hair) as a way to hide your online identity while also showing off how fantastic you look. :huh: I think I should quit the internet now and get some sleep...

Thanks for the idea though! I don't own panty house though. ..hmm..
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is a little less creepy than the title suggested.

I don't know, since wrestling and weight categories got involved it's started getting pretty creepy.
  • rml_16
    Options
    No. I'm just trying to keep them healthy. Sports/exercise are a part of keeping them healthy, and sports just aren't as fun if you lose all the time.

I don't mean to sound cold, but if he's losing all the time, it's not because Grandma gave him some cookies. Maybe you could try finding something he's better at?
    And shouldn't there be some concern over mental and emotional health, too?
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Your welcome.

Its an idiom

Something, not someone?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    This topic is strongly worded on purpose - partly for fun, and also because I'm tired of having to run interference with food pushers.

My kids are allowed sweets and treats in moderation - but the next person to sneak one of my kids a cookie behind my back may be force fed a full length video of my five year old crying after he gets his backside handed to him at his next wrestling tournament.

This answer is strongly worded on purpose - nothing fun in mind. If your 5 year old is crying when getting defeated in a wrestling tournament - there are more serious issues to be worried about than cookies.

Have you ever been to grade school wrestling tournaments? Unfortunately, there's a lot of crying . . .

A five year old is a kindergartner. My point was about putting a child into a pressure cooker that makes him want to cry at the end (regardless of how many children are in the cooker with him). There is so much time in our school years for organized sports. I find it interesting that we keep pushing our children to do these things at younger ages. I guess the days of having to wait until you are old enough to do something, are over.

Yeah, I sort of avoid activities with my daughter that end up in lots of tears. But I'm sort of funny that way. I would also never expose my child to the concept of 'weight' except at the doctor's office at such a young age. Could this be the reason male anorexia is on the rise? Young males do crazy things to make weight for wrestling. To think of intentionally exposing your 5 year old to that kind of weight scrutiny makes me sick. "Don't you DARE EAT THAT COOKIE! You won't make weight!" :sick:

so true. I went through all that crap in my teens for judo, i.e. stressing about making weight categories, starving and dehydrating myself in fact. plus I was told by a coach to lose 10kg even though my upper abs muscles were visible at the time (he went by BMI alone and I have a high lean body mass for my height, I should have been moved up a weight category, not to lose 10kg to satisfy a stupid chart and a coach who really didn't give a **** about anyone but himself)

Oh yeah and I nearly got an eating disorder thanks to all that.... thankfully I switched from judo to ice hockey, where I had total freedom from weight categories, and found that I was a lot stronger at 10 stone (140lb) than the weight category I had to starve and dehydrate myself to make (under 56kg which is about 123lb.... I'm currently 140lb with about 105-107lb lean body mass, age 38, i.e. you'd expect me to have less lean body mass now than when I was 17.but probably I'd starved off some of my lean body mass trying to make weight categories back then so maybe it was less than I have now)

seriously.... a FIVE year old??? You're putting a FIVE year old under pressure to make a weight category??? Teenagers shouldn't be under that pressure. At least as a teenager I could (and did) choose to quit judo and do ice hockey instead, but a lot of damage was already done. (thankfully undone in the end). But a 5 year old? Can this 5 year old choose to quit, to not play, or to go up a weight category because he or she doesn't want to live with the pressure to make a weight category? I really hope so, because kids that age should NOT be under that kind of pressure, i.e. to the extent that parents are policing holiday snacks so they make a weight category!!! Let the kid eat, and grow, and if he or she really wants to compete in wrestling, then let him or her fight in whatever category they happen to be in, and enjoy it!!!!
  • rml_16
    Options

Your welcome.

Its an idiom

Something, not someone?

If it were someone, it would be his or her idiom, not its idiom.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I was ready to run in here with pitch fork ready to burn evil child abusing people. Then I read about giving kids candy. Sad. Now I have all this rage and nothing to do with it. TO THE GYM!!!

This comment wins it for me :)
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    This topic is strongly worded on purpose - partly for fun, and also because I'm tired of having to run interference with food pushers.

My kids are allowed sweets and treats in moderation - but the next person to sneak one of my kids a cookie behind my back may be force fed a full length video of my five year old crying after he gets his backside handed to him at his next wrestling tournament.

Because eating a cookie will make him lose the tournament?

One cookie? No. Too many cookies? Yes, especially if he misses a weight cut off and has to wrestle up a class.

Are you managing your child's weight for competitive purposes as a 5 year old?

Really? Some of the best times my kid has had has been on teams that lost the majority of their games. They tried hard, supported one another, and had fun. That was the point. Not winning. And at five years old I don't even think they really get the difference. It is their PARENTS who hate losing and like winning. I hate to break it to you OP, but you may want to consider stopping now.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP, all I've learned from you is to keep a whip at my side to use in the event that a person dare hand my child a delicious sugary treat. Surely, it will ruin his odds of being successful. Maybe some cucumber throwing stars to deflect all other offenders?

I prefer cauliflower cucumber stars = maximum defense against all "bad" foods...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

One cookie? No. Too many cookies? Yes, especially if he misses a weight cut off and has to wrestle up a class.

why don't you just parachute him into the Afghan Mountains and see if he makes it out...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    OP, all I've learned from you is to keep a whip at my side to use in the event that a person dare hand my child a delicious sugary treat. Surely, it will ruin his odds of being successful. Maybe some cucumber throwing stars to deflect all other offenders?

I prefer cauliflower cucumber stars = maximum defense against all "bad" foods...

Yeah, you should make the cucumber out of cauliflower before you make it into throwing stars.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Nice idea! I find cauliflower to be ultimately offensive. That'll learn 'em!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    If it were someone, it would be his or her idiom, not its idiom.

:flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

And life just isn't as much fun when your mom is obsessing over cookies and weight categories.

^^^^ this

seriously. Healthy is about mental health, not just physical health. And over-bearing, over-competitive parents who put pressure on kids to perform at sports suck all the fun out of the game. Those kids don't compete to have fun, they train and compete to please mum and/or dad. They're under pressure, they get overly stressed with they lose (because they disappointed mum and/or dad) and they don't enjoy winning much either, because they're not playing for fun to begin with. Yes I've coached kids sports (ice hockey) and seen it happen. A lot of parents in kids sports would do well to just take a step back and let their kid enjoy the game, and learn how to deal with both winning and losing graciously, and also know that it's okay to lose sometimes, and that you can still enjoy the game very much even when you lose. Because the game itself is enjoyable, winning is an extra bonus.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Holy crap, he's freakin' 5!!!
    What a great way to turn your kid off from sports.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

And life just isn't as much fun when your mom is obsessing over cookies and weight categories.

^^^^ this

seriously. Healthy is about mental health, not just physical health. And over-bearing, over-competitive parents who put pressure on kids to perform at sports suck all the fun out of the game. Those kids don't compete to have fun, they train and compete to please mum and/or dad. They're under pressure, they get overly stressed with they lose (because they disappointed mum and/or dad) and they don't enjoy winning much either, because they're not playing for fun to begin with. Yes I've coached kids sports (ice hockey) and seen it happen. A lot of parents in kids sports would do well to just take a step back and let their kid enjoy the game, and learn how to deal with both winning and losing graciously, and also know that it's okay to lose sometimes, and that you can still enjoy the game very much even when you lose. Because the game itself is enjoyable, winning is an extra bonus.

and a cookie or two.
    or even six on occasion.
  • dzmikki
    dzmikki Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm a mother of 2 and do not see a problem with this. pending alergies/ health of the child, let them have fun. Thats part of being a relative. Spoiling someone elses kids!!!!! :)
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I fully understand why sports and exercise are necessary to help children stay healthy, both mentally and physically. But why is it necessary to put your child into a sport where weight is so important? A previous poster made a great point about male anorexia, do you believe that this is a potential side effect of putting so much emphasis on your 5 yr olds weight? Why not another sport as others have said, such as soccer, hockey, swimming, broom ball, etc.
    Is the real reason why you want him in this sport is because you enjoy it so he must too? Based on your comments alone about not being able to have extra treats so he can make weight and crying because he doesn't win, tells me he does not enjoy what he is doing. MOST (but not all) children who loose at a sport they love, can show good sportsmanship...it sounds as though your son is either a) not old enough to understand good sportsmanship, or b) does not enjoy what he is doing. And in both cases, its usually the parent living vicariously through their child......
    Take for example my love for equestrian sports and life style. I thoroughly enjoy it and put my 7 yr old son into English Riding lessons. After a year, he came to me and said he no longer enjoyed it. That's absolutely fine, he was taken out of the lessons immediately. When my son was 4 and 5 yrs, he participated in Ju Jitsu, and was fairly good at it, but decided he no longer enjoyed it and wanted to do something else (he cried often when he lost and was not a happy camper throughout the day). That's fine. Now he swims, and he is still enjoying after 4 yrs.

So please, put your child's interests before your desires to make him into a mini-you.