• coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    No flu shot for me.

...says all the people with MMR/ Pertussis Vaccines! LOL
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm part of those that don't care about other people. Natural selection I suppose.

No flu shot for me.

Case in point. :huh:

It's nice to know that you think my beautiful niece doesn't deserve to be protected from an easily preventable disease because she's "not fit".
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    And remember, kids, it only protects against some of the more common or more severe strains, not every flu. So getting sick anyway is a crappy reason not to get one. Maybe you get an uncommon strain, but at least you won't get that AND swine flu or whatever it is this year.

If you care about being a decent human being and protecting old people/kids/immunocompromised people you encounter, just get the stupid shot unless you have a legit medical reason of your own...which you probably don't.

People who trot out tired anecdotes about "getting sick anyway" or "the shot makes me sick" try my patience severely.

Yes, not getting the flu shot is all apart of my diabolical plan to infect everyone. You found me out! Are you a hypochondriac?

Dude...you're supposed to keep this plot on the down-low! :grumble:
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    And remember, kids, it only protects against some of the more common or more severe strains, not every flu. So getting sick anyway is a crappy reason not to get one. Maybe you get an uncommon strain, but at least you won't get that AND swine flu or whatever it is this year.

If you care about being a decent human being and protecting old people/kids/immunocompromised people you encounter, just get the stupid shot unless you have a legit medical reason of your own...which you probably don't.

People who trot out tired anecdotes about "getting sick anyway" or "the shot makes me sick" try my patience severely.

Yes, not getting the flu shot is all apart of my diabolical plan to infect everyone. You found me out! Are you a hypochondriac?

I am a traditional villain. I have to tell the hero the exact details of my plot and how to stop me.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Well it's quite mild which is really odd here in the UK. Not cold really. I've never gotten the flu and I've never had a flu shot. They're for people who are older not 21 year olds. My mum had one not long ago, she's ill now. Don't think they work that well.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Nope. Do you know what that word means? It's used to describe someone who believes they are sick when they are not. I don't think I said a word about getting sick myself.

I know how much more dangerous the flu is for certain segments of our population though, and I do my part to help them out. My boyfriend has asthma and has a very frail, elderly grandmother, and so I feel that any small thing I can do to help keep them healthy is well worth it. I try my best to think of other people when I can.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm part of those that don't care about other people. Natural selection I suppose.

No flu shot for me.

It's nice to know that you think my beautiful niece doesn't deserve to be protected from an easily preventable disease because she's "not fit".

I was being sarcastic in that statement. I don't know your niece but I am guessing that if her immune system is not healthy her family will keep her out of public places and make it well known to visitors that they can't come if they are sick.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    They're for people who are older not 21 year olds. My mum had one not long ago, she's ill now. Don't think they work that well.

Rage.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had influenza. I've been getting the shot for 7 years since having children.

Also just FYI, influenza, which is what the flu shot protects you from, is similar to a cold but more severe and includes fatigue and fever. The "stomach flu" is NOT influenza and is not prevented with the flu shot.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/stomach-flu-not-influenza
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    No thanks, I'm not interested in autism as a lifestyle choice.

lulz
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options

I am a traditional villain. I have to tell the hero the exact details of my plot and how to stop me.

You know what happens to villains when they monologue don't you?
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Actually, I totally forgot to register for the free one at work two months ago!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Sure, but do you know what happens to people who verb nouns?

Oh. Whoops.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    No thanks. Never got a flu shot in my life, never been sick with flu either, as far as I remember.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

No flu shot for me.

I was being sarcastic in that statement. I don't know your niece but I am guessing that if her immune system is not healthy her family will keep her out of public places and make it well known to visitors that they can't come if they are sick.

If it was an attempt at sarcastic humor, it wasn't funny.

Her parents take as many precautions as they can, but basically you're saying that this child should live in a bubble and never leave her home? Because a select portion of the population thinks they're too special to help prevent and spread easily preventable diseases? Cool story, bro.

This is the child I'm talking about. And not just for you, but for anyone else choosing not to get vaccinated because they're not worried about their own health - think about other people and other people's children when you make that choice, and decide if it's worth it.

14incba.png
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options

Nope. Do you know what that word means? It's used to describe someone who believes they are sick when they are not. I don't think I said a word about getting sick myself.

I know how much more dangerous the flu is for certain segments of our population though, and I do my part to help them out. My boyfriend has asthma and has a very frail, elderly grandmother, and so I feel that any small thing I can do to help keep them healthy is well worth it. I try my best to think of other people when I can.

Yes, I know what it means and I asked if you were that. Or maybe you just have this ridiculous sense of self-righteousness. Implying that people aren't decent human beings because they do not receive a yearly flu shot is, in a word, dumb.

Brb not giving kids candy on Halloween, might cause diabetes
    Brb not driving, the carbon monoxide might kill someone with a lung condition
    Brb not inviting friends and family over to swim in the lake, might catch a brain eating parasite
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't get the shot. And now that I have a daughter I wasn't sure if I should make her get one or not. But turns out she is allergic to eggs and can't have it anyway. Thanks God for making the decision for me ;)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yes, I know what it means and I asked if you were that. Or maybe you just have this ridiculous sense of self-righteousness. Implying that people aren't decent human beings because they do not receive a yearly flu shot is, in a word, dumb.

It is in many ways, and with few exceptions, a decision based on a combination of selfishness and ignorance, honestly. I don't say that to insult you, but to criticize an argument you're trying to make. The flu shot is highly effective at preventing you from getting the flu, and highly effective at preventing you from giving it to others. The objections people make are almost universally invalid.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Personally, I don't get the shot. And now that I have a daughter I wasn't sure if I should make her get one or not. But turns out she is allergic to eggs and can't have it anyway. Thanks God for making the decision for me ;)

There are alternative vaccines for those allergic to eggs. IIRC the nasal spray version is fine for those people. So it's not really God making a decision for you.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options

Sure, but do you know what happens to people who verb nouns?

Oh. Whoops.

Clearly someone has never seen The Incredibles...