Don't forget to get your flu shot!

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I don't get the flu shot and won't ever. I'm not worried about catching it from other people. If I get it, I get it.

To the person inferring people like me are hypocrites from not getting the flu shot while getting MMR shots, last I knew, the flu shot wasn't legally mandatory in order to attend U.S./Canadian schools.

The problem with this is that you're contagious for a day or two before you have any symptoms.

So if you do get the flu, you could pass it on to dozens of people before you are even aware you're spreading it.

And once you are showing symptoms, chances are you won't spend the next week in total isolation, so you'll keep on spreading it to people.

The flu shot is not just about you - it's about everyone else.

Legit question. So if all the people who don't get the flu shot catch it, will they only spread it to others who didn't get the flu shot. So they will just be infecting each other while us vacinnated peeps sit in our ivory (or is that irony) towers and laugh?

Or are there certain segments of the population who just can't receive the vaccinne regardless of whether they would like to or not?

There are certain segments who cannot get vaccinated.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I don't get the flu shot and won't ever. I'm not worried about catching it from other people. If I get it, I get it.

To the person inferring people like me are hypocrites from not getting the flu shot while getting MMR shots, last I knew, the flu shot wasn't legally mandatory in order to attend U.S./Canadian schools.

The problem with this is that you're contagious for a day or two before you have any symptoms.
    if you do get the flu, you could pass it on to dozens of people before you are even aware you're spreading it.

And once you are showing symptoms, chances are you won't spend the next week in total isolation, so you'll keep on spreading it to people.

Legit question. So if all the people who don't get the flu shot catch it, will they only spread it to others who didn't get the flu shot. So they will just be infecting each other while us vacinnated peeps sit in our ivory (or is that irony) towers and laugh?

Or are there certain segments of the population who just can't receive the vaccinne regardless of whether they would like to or not?

The vaccine is not 100% effective even against the strains it is designed to protect against.

It's about mitigating risk, not eliminating it.

There are definitely some segments of the population who cannot get a flu vaccine, yes.

It's not that all the unvaccinated people will get the flu and all the vaccinated people will not. Look at all the people in this very thread who have never gotten either. The idea is that the larger the portion of the population that gets the shot, the smaller the portion of the population that will get the flu. The effect is a combination of people who get the vaccine being less likely to catch the flu, and in turn being less likely to spread thef lu.

Good to know. Learn something new every day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

So if you do get the flu, you could pass it on to dozens of people before you are even aware you're spreading it.

I believe there are various segments of the population who cannot receive vaccinations for medical reasons.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    lol no
    id rather let my body "fight" with it
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the flu shot twice in my life. Each time, I had "flu-like symptoms" that knocked me out of work for a week.

I don't work with small children or elderly.

No thanks. I'll pass.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's amazing to me how much people get their feathers ruffled by the mention of vaccines...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It's amazing to me how much people get their feathers ruffled by the mention of vaccines...

The anti-vaccine alarmists haven't even shown up yet with their pseudoscience. Trust me it will get quite a bit worse when that happens.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

The anti-vaccine alarmists haven't even shown up yet with their pseudoscience. Trust me it will get quite a bit worse when that happens.

And ^this, no doubt.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Its ok. I'm vacinnated against that as well.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    The winter season is upon us so I just wanted to give everyone a friendly reminder to get vaccinated this holiday season against this year's flu strain.

Happy Monday!
    I wouldn't get it, as it was soooooooo effective last year
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

Its ok. I'm vacinnated against that as well.

Yes, I think the cootie shot defends against this!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't get the shot. And now that I have a daughter I wasn't sure if I should make her get one or not. But turns out she is allergic to eggs and can't have it anyway. Thanks God for making the decision for me ;)

There are alternative vaccines for those allergic to eggs. IIRC the nasal spray version is fine for those people. So it's not really God making a decision for you.
    lame. I still took it as a sign :p

One time I went to the gym and tripped on a dumbbell.

I thanked God for making the decision never to go to the gym again for me.

;)

jeeze you're on fire today. settle down

I was banned for a couple weeks. I have a lot of pent-up snark to let out.

LOL happy unbanned-ment
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I got the shot once (oh...11 years or so ago) when they gave them free at work. Two months later, I got the flu and was sick as a dog for two freaking weeks....and completely missed Christmas (couldn't even get out of bed, let alone ride in a car for 45 minutes one way).

I am well aware that I didn't get the flu from the shot. But the shot doesn't cover all strains...just the strains "they" think will be prevalent each year....and "they" don't have a great track record with that.

I also have limited people that I come in contact with....a small office at work (where people actually stay home when they're sick - either by taking a sick day or just working from home), hubby at home, family, and a small group of friends that we see on the weekends. Outside of a trip to the grocery store once every 10 days or so, I'm not around strangers (and my shopping trips are ninja strikes...I don't lollygag). We are pretty dull LOL :laugh:

So, I don't get the shot (didn't before the year I got it, and haven't since). And except for that one year I got the shot, I have never had the flu. And outside of that one time I got the flu, I haven't even been sick at all since I got my tonsils out 15 years ago (the handful of sick days that I've used, outside of the flu incident, were for migraines).
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Nope.... nuh uh..... nada.....never.....No Flu Shot here.....

Only time I got it was when I was in the military b/c they made us. 2 of the 4 years I got horribly sick. I'm good without it... but thanks for thinking of me!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    No thanks, I'm not interested in autism as a lifestyle choice.

in for this.
  • alienaliens
    alienaliens Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:
    Cute kid, however, I have no emotional connection to her or your family. Sorry. Guess that makes me a robot. I have a friend who's baby was born with a very rare metabolic disorder. I have done what I can to help them raise money. I know I can't be around her because it could crash her system. However, her parents have figured out that people have their own choices to make and therefore don't judge other becuase of it. If I choose to not get my shot, does it hurt them at all? Nope. It just means I stay away. No hard feelings. And unless you come up with a cure for the common cold and other "bugs" there will be a lot more than the flu that can hurt a child or anyone with a low immune system.

You are not a villian. Once it becomes a nation-wide law, I will have no choice but to start back getting them myself.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:
    Cute kid, however, I have no emotional connection to her or your family. Sorry. Guess that makes me a robot. I have a friend who's baby was born with a very rare metabolic disorder. I have done what I can to help them raise money. I know I can't be around her because it could crash her system. However, her parents have figured out that people have their own choices to make and therefore don't judge other becuase of it. If I choose to not get my shot, does it hurt them at all? Nope. It just means I stay away. No hard feelings. And unless you come up with a cure for the common cold and other "bugs" there will be a lot more than the flu that can hurt a child or anyone with a low immune system.

You are not a villian. Once it becomes a nation-wide law, I will have no choice but to start back getting them myself.

National law requiring flu shots? Eh, not likely
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

OMG one of my friends is pretty much the driver of the anti-vaccine train. Drive me insane. Didn't vaccinate her kids against anything and is incredibly proud of it. I'll be so sad if they wind up with preventable diseases because of it.

I haven't gotten my flu shot this year (not sure where to get it here). I used to get the flu every year growing up until I started getting the flu shot, but haven't gotten it since. Knock on wood I don't get it this year since I'm working with munchkins again...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have never had one and won't until it is "required" which should be very soon under government run healthcare.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I have never had one and won't until it is "required" which should be very soon under government run healthcare.

Yeah, thanks Obama.