What foods surprised you?

Options

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Supernoodles.

They taste like salty cr*p, satiate you for about 45 minutes and a packet (who eats half?) comes to more than a beef pie. Whut?
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I never realized how much sugar was in Orange Juice until I started scanning products. No more OJ lol.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Poisoning us? Just leave us alone? Just don't buy the stuff you don't think is healthy. And I am not here because of fast food, I am here because of delicious crossaints, philly cheese steaks, tortilla chips + salsa + guac, and oh so tasty craft and microbrews (lots of them).

Um ... lol. Aren't those things fast food too? Or at least junk food, which (IMO) is the same thing.

I do agree we could do better if we went back to 200 years ago when all you got pretty much was real food, meat, vegetables, fruit. If food back then had labels they wouldn't have 57 ingredients listed - half of which you can't even pronounce.

It's all well and good to say "don't buy it" but it's more a cultural thing. You go into the supermarket, and 90% of it is brightly packaged and full of chemicals we just shouldn't eat. It's attractive to kids, and marketed agressively. Those kids grow into adults in a culture where highly processed foods are the norm (and therefore appear benign), and develop all sorts of weight and health issues, as well as alergies and in some cases behavioural issues (yes, preservatives and sugar can affect some people this way).

Oh, and those of you who claim there's no good or bad carbs, likewise there's no good or bad sugar. The sugar in Apples and Bananas is still sugar, natural or not.

There you go, flag away ...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    BaltarVK wrote: »
    I never realized how much sugar was in Orange Juice until I started scanning products. No more OJ lol.

Did you see this report in The Atlantic? It comprehensively outlines the big scam that is orange juice as a health drink, and how this came to be. (Hint: Brilliant marketing.)

Misunderstanding Orange Juice as a Health Drink/
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    sjp_511 wrote: »
    I always assumed rice was lower calorie than it actually is. I know a lot of skinny people that eat a lot of rice.

Try brown rice, Alton Brown's recipe for baked brown rice turns out perfect every time and is so tasty you can almost eat it plain. I was also surprised by tortillas, I now know that tacos aren't a low calorie meal. Just last week I made whole grain spaghetti, big mistake, the texture was unpleasant and there was no calorie savings
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    peas. they have 5 grams of protein per serving. I thought they were considered a starch.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I always assumed rice was lower calorie than it actually is. I know a lot of skinny people that eat a lot of rice.

The reason rice is healthier than bread, is probably because it has a lower GI index, especially brown rice. Also it is gluten free. High GI food tend to jump start your insulin level, which is a fat storing hormone, and after the insulin surge, the sudden drop of insulin makes you crave for more sugar.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2007/10/gi-more-bad-carb-myths.html
    I am just surprised as the food industry and how they can get away with poisoning us with our food. The fact that they are allowed to put all the salt / sugar and chemicals in our food is scary. I really wish they would just leave our food alone .. but then they want us to become addicted, cause that means money in their pockets.

Foods higher in sodium and added sugar sell better. Food sales are an industry, and like any other, they are going to produce items that will sell the best. Yup, it's not in OUR best interest but...that's not what those businesses exist for, they exist for profit. Companies obviously do lots of research, and if the high sugar version of something sells better, that's what they are going to make.

I do wish people were educated and motivated enough to make better choices, but why should the food industry care...their motivation is increasing sales.

Which is why it's silly to claim they are "poisoning" their customers. Dead people don't eat

Fat and poorly educated people are more likely to be addicted to processed food, and are reluctant to admit the truth. 100 calories from sugar, salt, and preservative loaded cookies do not equal to 100 calories from nuts or dark green vegetables, even if you keep the total calorie intake within your daily goal.

For weight loss, they are absolutely the same. If you have studies proving otherwise, please cite them; several folks who have made this particular statement in the past have been unable to provide such studies, so I eagerly await any real proof here.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/30/update-weight-up-cholesterol-up-for-man-who-lost-27-pounds-on-twinkie-diet/ (he's subsequently gained - gasp! - two whole pounds)
  • segacs
    Options
    For the gazillionth time: Losing weight and eating healthy are not one and the same!

It is possible to lose weight while eating healthy. It is possible to eat healthy while losing weight. But they are *independent* considerations!

Losing weight is about calories in < calories out. It's math. Whether you eat junk food or healthy food, you'll lose weight if you eat at a calorie deficit.

Eating healthy is about getting your nutritional needs met through your food, via a balanced diet that meets your required daily intake of vitamins, minerals and nutrients.

Eating healthy can help you lose weight by making you feel better, more energetic and fuller on the same number of calories, and providing better fuel for exercise. Losing weight can help you eat healthier by forcing you to consider what you eat carefully and cut out excess junk.

So from a weight loss standpoint, calories are neutral. From a health standpoint, they most certainly are not.
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    BaltarVK wrote: »

Did you see this report in The Atlantic? It comprehensively outlines the big scam that is orange juice as a health drink, and how this came to be. (Hint: Brilliant marketing.)

Misunderstanding Orange Juice as a Health Drink/

I didn't see it but yeah last year when I started doing this I realized I had just always assumed it wasn't good for you. lol lesson learned.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. Couldnt believe how horrible it smells.....
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Quinoa. Couldnt believe how horrible it smells.....

Or tastes..... Not a quinoa fan :)

• SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    fannyfrost wrote: »
    I had surprises in both directions. Its been a while, but some cookies aren't as high in calories as you would think. Also some veggies, or beans even were higher in calories than I thought they would be.

I guess that is one of the reason we are overweight, not knowing how many calories are in some items.
    So very true! I would fill up so much on these healthy foods they were the culprit to my weight gain!
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am just surprised as the food industry and how they can get away with poisoning us with our food. The fact that they are allowed to put all the salt / sugar and chemicals in our food is scary. I really wish they would just leave our food alone .. but then they want us to become addicted, cause that means money in their pockets. Fast food is the same way and a major reason why we are all here.

this. I've kind of concluded that the food and diet industry are kinda two sides of the same coin. Can you imagine if someone could patent fruit and veg?! It would be sold as this wonder-food that provides you with so much nutrition for so few calories and it would cost a bomb..!

I remember standing in McDonalds and looking at all the frozen chips/fries being put into the machine and they looked like plastic. And I just thought, this is the height of capitalism: plastic "food" that keeps people addicted to eating and spending :/

• maria0elisa
    Options
    flour.. wowza calories!!

beer- light beer is generally only 10 or so calories less then regular.. so what is the point?

Yeah this was really disheartening haha. All the calories and none of the drunkenness, where's the fun in that?!
  • segacs
    Options
    Light beer is pointless, IMHO. If I'm gonna indulge in the calories for a beer, I want it to be a good beer.

One thing about restricting calories: You quickly become a food snob.
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    I've been surprised at sugary things :/ I knew nothing about nutrition before mfp and did suffer from that 90s/00s mindset of thinking that 'fat' was the enemy and therefore sweets, if not exactly good for your teeth, weren't the direct cause of weight gain.
    Oh how wrong I was...!

Also I thought that eating lots of vegetables was kind of a nice optional extra to keep your skin or bones healthy, rather than a food group that is absolutely vital and provides you so much energy for so few calories, thus staving off your hunger!
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    I also didn't realise how many calories were in carbs :/ I was quite shocked at the large portions of carbs I had been eating, thinking it was normal for them to take up half/most of your plate and provide the 'base' to every meal.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Higher than I thought: Bananas, Baked Potatoes, Rice, Beef, Cheese, Milk

Lower than I thought: Cheesecake bites, Fish, Chicken