Christmas bonuses

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Bonus should be good this year. Should cover my credit card balances.

I can't wait.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    since this thread is still alive - as the OP I felt it necessary to update...in addition to the $100 this year, the envelope also included 3 car wash tickets...so, while it is all very appreciated, it's not exactly going to get braces in my son's mouth.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many people get squat for Christmas bonuses!! Even when I worked in the restaurant industry, my tightwad company would give us a $50 or $100 gift card. My current job, I have THE most amazing bosses who are very genuine and care about people and at the very minimum they send a very nice box of chocolates to all employees and customers and take everyone out to a very nice dinner in addition to bonuses. I am very lucky to have found such a wonderful company and family to work for!
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I don't get a Christmas bonus, but we do get an annual raise which I guess you can think of it as a holiday bonus. I also get three weeks paid time off from work. Benefits of working for a university. Same holidays as the students.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This year nada except a $5 Tim Hortons card and a Christmas buffet.

Last year nada, year before nada and year before $500

Company sent out an email to everyone except managers and supervisors that there was no bonus this year... way to light a fire and decrease productivity.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a bonus. It's a gift. It is not to be expected, only appreciated.

I would for sure hire you !
  • lLionMindl
    lLionMindl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    $1000 before tax for me this year :)
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    We have a party, free food if we are working.At the party there are significant prizes for the free raffle (TVs, NFL tix, iPod aire, $100 and $50 gift certificates) Administrative staff get the "gift of time" an extra paid day off which is pretty sweet.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    The state of CA deems me getting a full paycheck a bonus after years of them taking anywhere between 5-15% of it away.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Christmas ham, every year from Honey Baked Hams. Not too bad, better than nothing, right?? Plus our Holiday luncheon (our normal caf. lunch + dessert!! LOL) and our sub. of the company has a holiday party that includes a lot of awesome prizes, if you are lucky enough to win, but great food and drinks even if you arent! :)
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Can you get a negative bonus? I was informed today I was not getting my raise like promised because they cant afford it. Merry Christmas... jerks....
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Can you get a negative bonus? I was informed today I was not getting my raise like promised because they cant afford it. Merry Christmas... jerks....

This is what I got this year!
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    nothing
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    When I worked for a national discount retail chain, we all got an embroidered logo polo shirt (which we were then required to wear at work) as a Christmas bonus.

When I worked for a call center we would get food gifts or gift cards for restaurants, usually valued at around $30.

Last year, I got a cash bonus of $75 at an HR firm I worked at.

My current employer does not give Christmas bonuses. However, if we want to work on Christmas eve or Christmas Day, we get a free dinner of our choice off the menu during our lunch break (Prime Rib and Lobster is on the menu). I got free Thanksgiving dinner for working that day. Usually, we have to pay full menu price for meals during breaks. (I practice I.F. during my shift)
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    OK my last vent on this topic...promise....We now get our paystubs (direct deposit) and the $100 bonus is included in our wages for the week and FICA is (properly) taken out - so my check is about $10 less than normal. Plus, I'll have to pay Federal and State tax on it at the end of the year....yes, I know, that's the law.

I know..I know - taxes have to be paid on all compensation, I know..I know - I should be grateful for any extra pay since many people don't get anything, but geeeezzzzz, it really sucks **** having to pay taxes on something that should be a gift.

OK...I promise, that's it...no more whining from me, now it's someone elses turn
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    OK my last vent on this topic...promise....We now get our paystubs (direct deposit) and the $100 bonus is included in our wages for the week and FICA is (properly) taken out - so my check is about $10 less than normal. Plus, I'll have to pay Federal and State tax on it at the end of the year....yes, I know, that's the law.

I know..I know - taxes have to be paid on all compensation, I know..I know - I should be grateful for any extra pay since many people don't get anything, but geeeezzzzz, it really sucks **** having to pay taxes on something that should be a gift.

OK...I promise, that's it...no more whining from me, now it's someone elses turn
    Quit your fussin and go back to being a creep! :tongue:
    and when the heck did you turn into a Christmas tree?!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    A bonus? What's that?

^^This.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    At my current position I do not get one. When I was working in the machine shops almost 10 years ago, we would get a speech from the owner on how poor the business was doing, get anywhere between a 15 -25 cent raise per hour then a bonus check. I came up with my very own definition of Bonus that was accepted by Urban Dictionary. BONUS defined: Bonus is the hyphen between the N and the U because that's what they do. BON - US!!!!! Merry Christmas everyone!
  • Jaffy55806
    Jaffy55806 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We get bonuses. But if the bonuses are bigger that usually means no raise. However this year we havent received any word yet. Fingers crossed. Otherwise we get quarterly medical reimbursements, awesome holiday parties, summer picnics and we are treated very well! I love where I work compared to when I was in college and 2 of my 3 jobs did not give bonuses.