Why do people care so much about height ?

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just the opposite in fact. In my case, criticism only made me depressed, which in turn ended up with me stuffing my face. Funny how you preach about why one shouldn't care about one's height and yet turn around and say you criticize "fat people".

Since you have that dictionary in hand, look up hypocrite.

This happened with me too.Initially got depressed and became socially reclusive.But then i did a lot of soul searching and made a vow to get rid of this fat once it for all as this obesity was the root cause of all my troubles.

Initally i couldn't even run for 30 seconds but with perseverance and patience i got my results after a year.

Today i can swim for 4-5 miles(my peak speed being 36 sec/50 meter lap) and run for more than 8 miles non stop.

yea, but you're still short.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Just as a general response to many posts in here:

Attraction is socially constructed, not natural.

kthxbye

Negative.

Its very much both.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

you probably didn't read what you posted......

"In 2007, research by the University of Central Lancashire suggested that the Napoleon complex may be a myth. The study discovered that short men were less likely to lose their temper than men of average height. "

You missed the point, it is a known issue that a lot of men deal with because they feel they need to meet some magical height to be accepted or appreciated. Same with penis sizes or boob sizes for women).

Trust me the exact same way you are there are millions of people who wouldn't think much about any of those things unless you are way outside the bell curve.

What I'm saying is, you are worried about people's dating preference that doesn't affect you. Some men don't like a woman with a booty, I say hooray for that cause it means more for the rest of us who do like it.

regarding dating whats worrisome is the preference of height over much important attributes like character and intellectual ability.

We are initially attracted through appearance in dating, otherwise you have to invest a lot more time into getting to know someone to establish the latter two qualities that you mentioned.

I know it worrisome but you have to start somewhere in the dating scene because you can't date everyone to find the perfect match. So having some preference helps you find someone sooner hopefully.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Just the opposite in fact. In my case, criticism only made me depressed, which in turn ended up with me stuffing my face. Funny how you preach about why one shouldn't care about one's height and yet turn around and say you criticize "fat people".

This happened with me too.Initially got depressed and became socially reclusive.But then i did a lot of soul searching and made a vow to get rid of this fat once it for all as this obesity was the root cause of all my troubles.

Initally i couldn't even run for 30 seconds but with perseverance and patience i got my results after a year.

Today i can swim for 4-5 miles(my peak speed being 36 sec/50 meter lap) and run for more than 8 miles non stop.

Note the bolded part. Incorrect statement, based on your attitude in this thread.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    There is a reason chicks don't dig you, and it has nothing to do with your height.

Do you think i wrote this post to find a woman for me ? :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

Rude. Funny, but rude.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

kthxbye

Oh man! Someone forgot to tell all Gay people, boy will their face be red when they find this information out!
  • Hornsby
    Options

Rude. Funny, but rude.

Hey now, I agreed with him until it became "okay to bash fat people, but not okay to bash short people". Once stupidity comes into play, all rules are out the window :)
  • abheshek
    Options

Rude. Funny, but rude.

Hey now, I agreed with him until it became "okay to bash fat people, but not okay to bash short people". Once stupidity comes into play, all rules are out the window :)

How does one become fat?

It's because of idleness,overeating,lack of physical activity

By sugarcoating words to a fat person you will not make him change his habit.

I am saying this from a personal experience.
  • abheshek
    Options

and your point being ?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    There is a reason chicks don't dig you, and it has nothing to do with your height.

I imagine most men would be equally turned off.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Rude. Funny, but rude.

How does one become fat?

It's because of idleness,overeating,lack of physical activity

By sugarcoating words to a fat person you will not make him change his habit.

I am saying this from a personal experience.

Okay, but how is it any of your business if I am fat, or your neighbor, or even your sister/brother? It's not your business to "change" anyone except yourself.

And some studies have shown that "being fat" has to do with genetics as well.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' tall (short). My biggest obstacles are finding jeans that don't need hemmed and reaching items on the top shelf. I don't believe it's ever been an issue with the opposite sex. Now, finding great heels in a size 5 1/2, that's a problem!
  • abheshek
    Options

Okay, but how is it any of your business if I am fat, or your neighbor, or even your sister/brother? It's not your business to "change" anyone except yourself.

None of my business if that obese person is not directly related to me.

But what i meant by "criticizing a fat person" is simply saying things like "do something about your obesity or else it would wreck your health".I never used the words like "inferior","subservient","menial" to address fat people.
  • Hornsby
    Options

None of my business if that obese person is not directly related to me.

But what i meant by "criticizing a fat person" is simply saying things like "do something about your obesity or else it would wreck your health".I never used the words like "inferior","subservient","menial" to address fat people.

The fact that you don't see what's wrong with the bolded area is the issue I think.
  • abheshek
    Options

Well i had taken into consideration about getting some negative responses while starting this topic.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Well i had taken into consideration about getting some negative responses while starting this topic.

I am not being negative with you at all.

You're saying some very unpleasant things and conveying an attitude that is offensive to most people.

It's not your height.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

kthxbye

Oh man! Someone forgot to tell all Gay people, boy will their face be red when they find this information out!

Interesting that you specifically pointed out gay people, i.e. "othering" them. I believe I was born with sexual fluidity and was socialized to be hetero. I think if you take a look at international work on culture and sexuality you will find sexuality cannot be separated from social context and that there is quite a variety of gender and sex constructs that are unlike our constructs in the West.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options

you probably didn't read what you posted......

"In 2007, research by the University of Central Lancashire suggested that the Napoleon complex may be a myth. The study discovered that short men were less likely to lose their temper than men of average height. "

In addition Napoleon wasn't a short man, he was average and even a little taller then average for men of that time.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

actually what you said was
    i deserved each an every insulting rants directed at me because i became fat because of my own deeds and bad choices
    which translates into you thinking it is perfectly acceptable to spew insults at fat people. stop trying to backtrack and make it seem like you meant something else.