Anyone else not believe in "starvation mode?"

Options
1234568»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Lol I hope you do....Well Im just saying usually ppl who lack common sense talk nonsense even when they try to appear to be talking about something smart

ha. Jennagan, I haz a gif for that too.

tumblr_m8x81qXJHk1rtc9of.gif
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! :love:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! :love:

It's against The Guidelines to be grammar Nazis...but I love it a lot.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Lol I hope you do....Well Im just saying usually ppl who lack common sense talk nonsense even when they try to appear to be talking about something smart

ha. Jennagan, I haz a gif for that too.

tumblr_m8x81qXJHk1rtc9of.gif

Haz are you making fun of my ppl now lol okay people better :) lol good attitude though. One thing I learned years ago with the "internet" cant always take everything so serious
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Totally made my day y'all... Too funny!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Terminology should be changed from "starvation mode" to "extreme calorie deficit".

Yeah, I feel ya, but if you do that people are going to connect the dots between "extreme calorie deficit" leads to "extreme weight loss".
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/07/24/3549931.htm

^ An obese man went 1 year and 17 days without food. He lost 125 kilograms of weight and only regained 7 after going back on food. He was constantly monitored , given multivitamins, and did experience some low potassium in the middle which they resolved by giving him supplements.

http://pmj.bmj.com/content/49/569/203.short

^ The actual medical report
  • romanaXOX
    romanaXOX Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    "Starvation Mode" is real, but many people that use the term don't really understand what it really is.

The body is always in a state of flux, but if your deficit is too large that your body cannot break down fat stores fast enough, then your body will begin to use muscle as fuel, as well as reducing non-life sustaining functions. This will effect hair, nails, skin, alertness, energy, etc. The result is a slightly lower BMR, meaning the deficit that you thought was 1000 cals/day, may really only be 800 or so, due to your body reacting to the large deficit to "preserve" itself. So the downside is a slower than expected weight loss.

There is also the issue of malnutrition, Many on VLCD do not get the required micro nutrients and over time can have negative health side effects.

this!!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Are you entertained?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Are you entertained?
    grumpy-cat-8141_preview_zps9177ab07.png
  • inside_lap
    Options
    My fault for trying to reason w the unreasonable... Lol

Lol its also called common sense and alot of ppl lack it so there for think that they can try to talk about anything with out any common sense behind it

ALOT2.png

At least I think I do. If I am deciphering your post correctly. Not sure.

Love that image! I totally want to put it in my office! I was just saying the other day that some people just LOVE to pet and love on their neurosis/diagnosis.

Yes, well...um...my little neurosis may be clearer once you see the source of the image :laugh:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html?m=1

Totally just ran across her book on amazon and bought it... too freaking funny...
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Are you entertained?

Come on, you know you want more.....

want+more+gif.gif

we+really+like+it,+we+want+more.gif
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time swallowing this concept, especially for those of us who are obese. From what I've read, starvation mode only kicks in after you have lost more than 90% of your total fat storage in an effort to preserve what you have left, thus slowing down your metabolism. It would not make sense for the body to do this when fat storage is overly abundant. The purpose of having fat is for the body to use it in times of famine ( in our case, dieting), so why would our bodies suddenly hold onto the stored energy it needs to survive for the sake of survival itself?

There are many more aspects of this theory I find flawed, but I'd like to hear from others.

Why do you care? Why would you want to starve yourself anyway?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Are you entertained?

Come on, you know you want more.....

want+more+gif.gif

we+really+like+it,+we+want+more.gif

giphy.gif
    Okay. Maybe you're right. :blushing: