A Message For Newbies and MFP Pros Alike

Options
This is the blog post I wrote this morning...I don't normally share these in the forums, but I actually think this is an important message for everyone.

If any of my friends TL;DR me - I's gonna smack you! :wink:

For those who don't know me...just a quick note...my start date looks like I'm a newbie. I'm not. Promise. :flowerforyou:

This is really written to both current MFP members and new MFP members.

I figure we’re about to be bombarded with new people.

Unlike some others, I don’t think this is a bad thing. I’m always happy to see people trying to make positive changes. Do I wish they’d do it at some other point of the year than January 1st so it doesn’t just start as a potentially fleeting resolution? Absolutely. But, I also figure a percentage of those resolutioners WILL stick with this and that’s an awesome!

But, along with these new members, we’re going to see a significant rise in whining and questions that just seem obvious to us now.

So, I wanted to show the current members what we’re here for…what knowledge our experience can help others gain.

And, at the same time, I wanted to show the new members what you can and should expect from your MFP experience.

I wasn’t a January 1st start (I don’t like being told when to do things. Lol). I started mid December of 2012…And, oh lord, I freely admit I was probably one of the most annoying people on here with my “stupid” questions and my asinine ways of doing things.

You see…I started by doing the HCG diet with some of my friends. I was the one taking shots and eating 800 calories a day (my doctor was more generous than the 500 calorie docs, I guess. Lol). I was the one working out twice EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I was the one who didn’t understand why I was eating “so much” and people actually expected me to be able to eat more! I was the one who didn’t understand why I was so tired all the time with my 800 calories a day and 2 hours of pure cardio torture.

I was the one who bugged you guys with these stupid questions:

Why am I so tired?
Why are my nails shattering?
What do you mean you want to be my friend? Who has friends on the internet?
Why do I keep getting creepy messages? Are all of you horny pervs?
Why do you keep telling me to eat more?
Why am I not HOT already, dammit?!
What can I eat that's calorie dense so that I can make up these ridiculous 400 extra calories per day that you want me to
eat? I'm sooooo full!
What do you MEAN 1,200 calories still isn't enough?
What do you MEAN I'm working out too much?
Speaking of mean, why are you guys so MEAN???
You want me to do WHAT with that heavy thing? Pick it up? Are you nuts?!
OMG, I lost 15 pounds last month...why am I only losing 13 this month?
OMG, what the heck is a macro?

You get the point. I sucked. Lol

But, you know what, unless you were born with some crazy brilliant nutrition/fitness knowledge…there was a time you didn’t have all the answers, either. And some of the most amazing people I’ve met on here not only recognize that…they embrace that fact. And they use their knowledge to help people learn and grow (or shrink, as the case may be…)

The lessons I’ve learned, and the questions I’ve had answered, may have saved my life from the stupidity I started with…it definitely extended my life from the lack of anything I was doing before then.

Through the amazing people on MFP, I’ve learned the healthy way to do this. I learned how to eat properly and still lose weight. I learned how that fueling my body is just as important as working my body.

I’ve learned that I LIKE lifting heavy things. Like, A LOT. Cardio will make you skinny. Heavy things make you fit.

I’ve learned that your mind, not your body, is your worst enemy. Your mind, not your friends in the break room or your candy loving husband, is your worst saboteur. And only YOU can control your mind.

I’ve learned that perfection is unattainable. We all have our issues to deal with. We all have our insecurities. But if we keep working and striving for a healthy version of us, we’re on the right track.

The best advice I was ever given...this is a lifestyle change…don’t do anything that you can’t keep up. If you can’t work out for 2 hours every day for the rest of your life, then don’t do it now. Sustainability is key to success.

I’ve learned that calories in/calories out is what matters in weight loss. Macros are what matter in body recomposition. Let’s be honest…I learned what the hell body recomposition was, too. Lol

I learned that internet friends can be just as important as “IRL” friends. I’ve learned that some internet friends can BECOME IRL friends…some of those will be your best friends that you don’t know how you ever lived without before.

I learned that, well yeah, there ARE a lot of horny pervs on here. And some of them are awesome. Lol But it’s the internet, people…these pervs aren’t trying to get down your pants. Hell, 95% of the perviest people on here are happily married and just having fun and enjoying making their friends feel good about themselves. I also learned that you control your own Friend List…if you don’t like it on your wall…get rid of it. Simple enough.

I learned that there are no more mean people on here than there are in real life. Some people on MFP really know what they’re talking about. Some don’t. Just like real life. Take all the advice you get with a grain of salt (but not too much…sodium, ya know? Lol)

Since starting, I’ve lost 70 pounds and 19% body fat. You hear that? By listening to people who knew more than me, I lost over a freaking THIRD of my body and almost HALF the fat in my body! I guess those mean people knew what they were talking about…

:heart:

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    TL; DR
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    tldr-s388x512-145050.jpg
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    TL;DR. Again.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    ♥ \m/
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tldr.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    In
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    I love all the new people.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    So far, I have to smack two people..._John_ gets a pass since he put some effort behind his TL;DR and didn't actually say it. lol
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    you're smart, you're sweet. I think I'll keep you :)
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    TL:DR Still :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    That may be the longest rant that's kept my attention. Solid post, OP.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Good points :-) The only stupid question is the one you dont ask!
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Nice read! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and way to be!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I read it all and I loved it. Except for this:
    Cardio will make you skinny. Heavy things make you fit.

Cardio will also make you fit. What type of exercise people choose to do should be up to them, but I see cardio as being unnecessarily demonized by the heavy lifters. I get that they don't want to burn off their hard won muscles. But that is not your every day average person who wants/needs to lose weight.

I have awesome leg and butt muscles from running hills and sprints. (brag brag) :smile:

But for the rest of your post - :drinker:

I find myself getting frustrated with new posters, because it seems the 'dumb' questions and the 'dumb' advice never ends. But you have inspired me to dig deep for renewed patience. Especially this time of the year! :love:

:heart:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    LOL for me, it was: "This is a FITNESS SITE! Not a dating site! Pervs!"

I recall I got flamed myself for this on the board once as a newbie....
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You aren't on my FL so I won't put TL;DR :tongue:

Although you probably should be....

But in any event, great post! Well written and so very true! Thank you for sharing :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    That may be the longest rant that's kept my attention. Solid post, OP.

I think this is the nicest thing BeachIron has ever said to me. jk! lol :laugh:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with new people asking questions. I have a problem with new people asking questions without first looking to see if their question has already been asked and answered. I have a bigger problem with new people asking questions and getting pissy when a seasoned "MFP pro" tells them something they don't want to hear. I have the biggest problem with new people asking questions, getting answers they don't like, and proceeding to dictate how things should work around here.