A Message For Newbies and MFP Pros Alike

Options

Replies

• _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options

I guess I failed. C'est la vie. :laugh:

I'm sure I failed too. That's ok though, let's go dance and throw glitter on people!!

I :heart: dancing AND glitter! On my way, JJ!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So, I wanted to show the current members what we’re here for…

Oh, yes, please, oh great MFP guru...

...enlighten me as to what "we're here for".

:huh:

We're all here for the same reason...

...and everyone is different and has to find what works for them.

Seems legit.

Well aren't you just full of sunshine? I thought the post was lovely, and very helpful, and in no way required such sarcasm or disdain.

Actually, my post was something of a test...

...to see how OP (and others) would react to the slightest bit of sarcasm wrapped around a valid point...

...with no ill will, but not phrased in the *sunshine and rainbows* way that many would seem to demand.

So far, the results are...interesting.

I guess I failed. C'est la vie. :laugh:

Nah, I wouldn't say you failed. Perhaps it wasn't with highest marks, but nowhere near failure.

And I'm giving you bonus points for your ability to laugh it off (which honestly, is probably the "best" response).

But seriously, your post had a lot of valid points. I look forward to seeing how well you're able to execute your ideas in the veritable deluge that is before us.

:drinker:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

If it doesn't apply to you, it's pretty easy to ignore the thread. I'm sure this thread will help a lot more people than it will hinder but go ahead and try to find something to whine about. Or go eat some cauliflower crust pizza. That's probably right up your alley.

LOLwut?

Sound out the big words.

You're an interesting one.

What part of my completely open diary of 2+ years would lead you to cauliflower crust pizza? And even if it was even remotely accurate, why would you use that as an insult? "LOLwut?" is an appropriate response to your comment.

And if my post didn't apply to you, why is it not easy for you to ignore it? Or will you be the first to model the hypocrisy that is so rampant in the forums here where people call others names in defense of the "right" way to interact with others?

From there, you double down with a question of my literacy?

Oh, MFP...

...don't ever change.

Don't. Ever. Change.

OP is not a forum derper. what she wrote is from the heart and based on her own real world experience in the past year going from being a newb here (self admitted derper) to no longer being a newb or derper.

in short, she's the wrong target for the snark. there are much better targets out there. lots of them.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Resolutions don't mean jack....the whole year should be dedicated to getting better.
  • _JPunky
    Options

Seems legit.

If it doesn't apply to you, it's pretty easy to ignore the thread. I'm sure this thread will help a lot more people than it will hinder but go ahead and try to find something to whine about. Or go eat some cauliflower crust pizza. That's probably right up your alley.

LOLwut?

Sound out the big words.

What part of my completely open diary of 2+ years would lead you to cauliflower crust pizza? And even if it was even remotely accurate, why would you use that as an insult? "LOLwut?" is an appropriate response to your comment.

And if my post didn't apply to you, why is it not easy for you to ignore it? Or will you be the first to model the hypocrisy that is so rampant in the forums here where people call others names in defense of the "right" way to interact with others?

Oh, MFP...

...don't ever change.

Don't. Ever. Change.

OP is not a forum derper. what she wrote is from the heart and based on her own real world experience in the past year going from being a newb here (self admitted derper) to no longer being a newb or derper.

in short, she's the wrong target for the snark. there are much better targets out there. lots of them.

Thank you, BB. Seriously. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    When they were redesigning MFP, we all forgot to ask if they could set up separate forums, one for seasoned people and one for the newbies so their stupid questions won't have an impact. I don't care if I pissed someone off with this statement, it just feels funny for people to not want to be bothered with newbies on "New Year's resolution day". I love your post OP, it was not too long.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of this! Great post! :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I read it all and I loved it. Except for this:
    Cardio will make you skinny. Heavy things make you fit.

Cardio will also make you fit. What type of exercise people choose to do should be up to them, but I see cardio as being unnecessarily demonized by the heavy lifters. I get that they don't want to burn off their hard won muscles. But that is not your every day average person who wants/needs to lose weight.

I have awesome leg and butt muscles from running hills and sprints. (brag brag) :smile:

But for the rest of your post - :drinker:

I find myself getting frustrated with new posters, because it seems the 'dumb' questions and the 'dumb' advice never ends. But you have inspired me to dig deep for renewed patience. Especially this time of the year! :love:

:heart:

jerseypeach I have often thought there should be a MFP for heavylifters and a MFP for the rest of us. I had someone say to me that if I want to be heart healthy and stay slim to do cardio and if I want to look like a work out then lift weights. I personally do more cardio then anything and when I played basketball(cardio) on a regular basis I got compliments on my legs for the first time ever in my life.

Basketball is FAR more than steady state cardio.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Seems legit.

LOLwut?

Sound out the big words.

Oh, MFP...

...don't ever change.

Don't. Ever. Change.

I think OP and I are good now. Against all odds, she was able to survive my volley of vitriolic snark*.

It's her WK using vegetable crust pizzas as insults for whom I'm most concerned now.

* Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. Arguably misplaced, I get that, but I thought I made a reasonably valid point. I didn't anticipate the vegetable insult though. That was new.
  • The_Fat_Friend
    The_Fat_Friend Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    OP,

Thanks for taking time to post this. It's never easy to bring the personal blog to the public forums. As someone who is still trying to figure it all out, I appreciate the insights. With any weight loss plan, there is no clear road map from A to Z and every bit of truth helps.

Thanks again!
    From a one-day-hope-to-not-be-a-derping-newb
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Cauliflower crust pizza is in reference to "jumping on the bandwagon" that many people do on MFP. Search the forums for "Cauliflower" and see what they mean.

You're telling me to use the search function to learn what cauliflower crust pizza is about?

ME???

I've been here since 2011. I am fully aware of the abomination that is cauliflower crust pizza.

That said, its use as an insult weapon in the forums should be more carefully wielded and not just bandied about indiscriminately.
  • sunflwrgrl412
    sunflwrgrl412 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I liked this post! I had tons of those same questions. :)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    in because I'm drinking spiked coffee.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Also...TL:D[id]R

Good post.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    For those of you that don't know her, let me introduce you to one of the best people on MFP :)

:flowerforyou:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    When they were redesigning MFP, we all forgot to ask if they could set up separate forums, one for seasoned people and one for the newbies so their stupid questions won't have an impact. I don't care if I pissed someone off with this statement, it just feels funny for people to not want to be bothered with newbies on "New Year's resolution day". I love your post OP, it was not too long.
    I get more pissed when people don't do their own research and don't use the search function. It shows laziness. If someone can't be bothered to do a search, how are they going to be bothered to stick to a plan for any length of time.
  • _JPunky
    Options
    For those of you that don't know her, let me introduce you to one of the best people on MFP :)

:flowerforyou:

Awwww!!! Love you, too! :smile:
  • _JPunky
    Options
    I get more pissed when people don't do their own research and don't use the search function. It shows laziness. If someone can't be bothered to do a search, how are they going to be bothered to stick to a plan for any length of time.

Devil's advocate time...this may sound ridiculous, but when I first started I really didn't grasp how useful the search function was...I also didn't realize that some of my questions were so UNridiculous that other's would have asked them before. I understand what you're saying, but I really do see both sides of it.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    It's her WK using vegetable crust pizzas as insults for whom I'm most concerned now.

ahhh... i gave up trying to find a witty comment about 2 crossfitters arguing over who eats cauliflower crust pizza.

meh.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

In mild defense of those who don't...

...the search function here is atrocious.

(Seriously, have you tried it? It's terrible.)