Ok...you workout. So what about your diet??

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    We get it...you go to the gym and put in a good 60 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. Exercise is such a small % of our day...eating is a much larger percentage. This is why I consider NUTRITION more important than exercise for most people.

Share some of your thoughts on this matter!

My thoughts are -

1. The people I know well on MFP are very well grounded in nutrition, and
    2. It's rude to come onto a site and instantly imply that people don't know anything about the core purpose of said site. Regardless of what background you have. Do you honestly believe that people here have been sitting around with their thumbs up their backsides waiting for you to educate them? Arrogant.

You're very welcome to MFP, and I hope you'll be a valuable contributing member. But this post is just going to rub people up the wrong way.

Can you please not ruin the estrogen balance here. :tongue:

Sorry Sara! Mind if I stick around to watch you gals dismantle this guy? I promise I'll stay out of the way. :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Actually the original poster is correct in putting his post here.
    The message board "General DIET and WEIGHT LOSS Help."
    Instead of going ballistic on him because he might have been snarky to the gym rats or because he is what you folks call a "troll," maybe someone can answer his question about how much should we pay attention to diet in order to lose weight?

Here's a pretty quick look at it from people who know a lot more about it than I do:
    http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/exandwtloss.html

From that, I think one can see that BOTH are important, but cutting calories will have a larger impact on wight lossthan 30 minutes of exercise per day.

Original Poster, you could have asked the question in a less snarky way, and Secondary (and Tertiary) Posters could have responded in less snarky ways, as well.

Gym rats? Do tell.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    We get it...you go to the gym and put in a good 60 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. Exercise is such a small % of our day...eating is a much larger percentage. This is why I consider NUTRITION more important than exercise for most people.

My thoughts are -

1. The people I know well on MFP are very well grounded in nutrition, and
    2. It's rude to come onto a site and instantly imply that people don't know anything about the core purpose of said site. Regardless of what background you have. Do you honestly believe that people here have been sitting around with their thumbs up their backsides waiting for you to educate them? Arrogant.

You're very welcome to MFP, and I hope you'll be a valuable contributing member. But this post is just going to rub people up the wrong way.

Can you please not ruin the estrogen balance here. :tongue:

Sorry Sara! Mind if I stick around to watch you gals dismantle this guy? I promise I'll stay out of the way. :tongue:

You are always welcome..no need to ask. :flowerforyou:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Instead of going ballistic on him because he might have been snarky to the gym rats or because he is what you folks call a "troll," maybe someone can answer his question about how much should we pay attention to diet in order to lose weight?

Here's a pretty quick look at it from people who know a lot more about it than I do:

From that, I think one can see that BOTH are important, but cutting calories will have a larger impact on wight lossthan 30 minutes of exercise per day.

Original Poster, you could have asked the question in a less snarky way, and Secondary (and Tertiary) Posters could have responded in less snarky ways, as well.

Actually, what I got from reading through the thread wasn't that the OP was ASKING for help, more that he was offering his services to help school the rest of us since we don't understand nutrition, or this is what I inferred from most of his comments.
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

Gym rats? Do tell.

gymrat.png

like this?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Your inference was

Actually, what I got from reading through the thread wasn't that the OP was ASKING for help, more that he was offering his services to help school the rest of us since we don't understand nutrition, or this is what I inferred from most of his comments.
    indubitably accurate.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Man, that makes my brain hurt so much.
    It's like reading a book from end to beginning, you know?
    I find that when someone responds in the quotes and at the top to boot it is a particularly easy way to understand the conversation
    Also when I respond at the top of the quote
    When I respond in quotes, it's easier to read.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    quoting above...
    Your inference was

indubitably accurate.
    and below....genius!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options

IN
    BEFORE
    THE
    IMPENDING
    LOCK.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

In my opinion you posted a very nice question; but I will tell you why you didn’t get any nice responses or ideas:
    1) No references to boobs, nudity or to any part of a male or female body.
    2) You didn’t clarify or ask if the exercise routine includes or should include squats, dead lifts or LIFT HEAVY.
    3) You didn’t argue or ask about eating back exercise calories, eating more or less than 1200 calories, TDEE, BMI, VO, etc.
    4) Your question about diet didn’t bash any Paleo, vegan, vegetarian, low carb, no sugar, clean eating or junk food.
    5) Above all, your posting didn’t include one of those funny looking cartoons
    6) Bottom line is that unless you start a controversial threat about any of the above subjects, you will not get too many nice responses.
    So, and to answer your question, yes, my nutrition/calories/macros are very important and crucial for my health and to keep my weight under control. I exercise to keep my fitness and because I love to exercise, not because I want to eat more. So let the good times, discussion and controversy roll….
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It's like...
    quoting above...
    Your inference was

indubitably accurate.
    and below....genius!
    a puzzle!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

IN
    BEFORE
    THE
    IMPENDING
    LOCK.

You're good.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

In my opinion you posted a very nice question; but I will tell you why you didn’t get any nice responses or ideas:
    2) You didn’t clarify or ask if the exercise routine includes or should include squats, dead lifts or LIFT HEAVY.
    3) You didn’t argue or ask about eating back exercise calories, eating more or less than 1200 calories, TDEE, BMI, VO, etc.
    4) Your question about diet didn’t bash any Paleo, vegan, vegetarian, low carb, no sugar, clean eating or junk food.
    6) Bottom line is that unless you start a controversial threat about any of the above subjects, you will not get too many nice responses.
    So, and to answer your question, yes, my nutrition/calories/macros are very important and crucial for my health and to keep my weight under control. I exercise to keep my fitness and because I love to exercise, not because I want to eat more. So let the good times, discussion and controversy roll….

He didn't ask a question, he made a statement which is so blindingly obvious to most people on a food-logging website, it invites ridicule.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

He didn't ask a question, he made a statement which is so blindingly obvious to most people on a food-logging website, it invites ridicule.

That and the arrogance that he knows the answers, so come ask him.
  • benny_haha
    Options
    Man I've got some good hits on this one!

So this post has become a subject on how to post properly. It went from "Ok...you workout. So what about your diet??" to this. Hahaha this is great.

Like a bunch of kids on here right? Pick pick pick

Let us see how far you all can go and how long you can keep this going :glasses:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wrapped in..
    It's like...
    quoting above...
    Your inference was

indubitably accurate.
    and below....genius!
    a puzzle!
    an enigma!
    [/quote]
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    In for the estrogen.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Man I've got some good hits on this one!

So this post has become a subject on how to post properly. It went from "Ok...you workout. So what about your diet??" to this. Hahaha this is great.

Like a bunch of kids on here right? Pick pick pick

Let us see how far you all can go and how long you can keep this going :glasses:

Lord knows how we managed to accomplish anything before you got here.

Please, show us how it's done!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

More important for what?