If it is simply calories in and out...

Options
12345679»

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Why do we not all gain/lose weight at the same rate?

According to this forum, it's because people are just filthy liars.

Or the fact that everyone has a different calories out every day.....

People aren't usually lying to the other forum users, they are usually lying to themselves. It's the most likely answer. If someone is eating at what should be a deficit and not losing weight, that person should seek medical attention and advice. Otherwise, they are in some way falling victim to user error. (Not logging everything-taking a day off or forgetting items, eyeballing portions, using generous measuring techniques, overestimating exercise burns, underestimating calories when no nutrition info is available.)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Because...
    fwnhvn.jpg
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all through this thread so probably repeating.. But to answer OP yes it is calories in/out. The word simply implies that calories in/out is easy to estimate and therein lies the problem. If everyone could have their personal metabolic rate constantly measured and ate fewer calories than they burned, they would lose weight regardless of health condition. Conversely, if they ate more than they burned they would gain weight As constant metabolic monitoring is not yet possible we have to base it all on estimates. That gives a good starting point but there will be inconsistency on both sides of the in/out equation and so we have to tweak our input until its the right amount lower than output. This may mean that my intake has to be lower or higher than an age/height/weight /activity level matched female to lose at the same rate but its still calories in/out.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ladder.jpg

Edit: wrong link
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    ladder.jpg

That's just mean. Lol.
  • aggiegirl121
    aggiegirl121 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ladder.jpg

That's just mean. Lol.

I guess you truly do learn something new everyday! I have gone my whole 22 years of life thinking it was ladder instead of latter! lol
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I guess you truly do learn something new everyday! I have gone my whole 22 years of life thinking it was ladder instead of latter! lol

:hi-five:

:drinker:

Themoreyouknow.jpg
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Further to my above.

I do not think everyone should, do as I do, I was just intending to give someone somewhere some food for thought. Not every situation is the same and the simplistic, in out, view is not true for everyone, because of complicating factors, unfortunately.

Our bodies are surprising things whether they are working as is expected, arrived with quirks or developed them along the way. All varieties of persons are represented here. What works or does not for me may be enlightening, downright boring or information to another. My experience is no better nor worse than anyone else's, it's mine. Consider with time everything changes, what you are today you may not be tomorrow and do not take anything for granted.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

According to this forum, it's because people are just filthy liars.

Or the fact that everyone has a different calories out every day.....

No, it's the lying. I love that the most.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    The OP is either not the sharpest crayon in the box or the greatest troll to ever live! I choose to pick the ladder!

1. Because he managed to get plenty of people to argue about a topic that we ALL know the answer to!
    2. He has completely vanished, probably to sit back and observe the chaos he created!

I thoroughly enjoyed this thread!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Actually no.

I prep my fiancee to compete for her IFBB Pro card in the Arnold Classic next month, in only her 3rd show (in Columbus, Ohio). She does Body Fitness/Figure. That is to say, she will have competed at her first attempt to go pro within 9 month of ever competing and about 15-16 months since she started training with me in 29 Oct 2012.

I don't have the time, will nor inclination to sit on a computer and debate for hours.

This thread was taken so far out of context by people with clearly too much time on their hands to sit there and insult for 7 pages when the meaning of my thread was clear once I'd clarified. Saying simply in/out is far too basic, there are too many complicating factors to say simply in/out (ALTHO once you've found the in/out figure, then you've got a start point).

Now i'm sure you'll sit here, argue and say it wasn't clarified, that I wasn't clear and that you are right. Frankly I don't care.

There is also some debate on 3500 = 1lb of fat in the medical/research community for everyone as well, but please don't let that stop from your games on here.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Probably not.

But if you consider the inherent inaccuracy of self reported intake and exercise, the difficulty to getting accurate calorie in counts, and of measuring actual expenditure then Calories In/Calories Out is pretty darned close.

The other factors people go on and on about are tiny relative to the margin of error of the basic process. So what if condition X alters your BMR by 5-10%? Your estimate of that scoop of mashed potatoes is probably off by 10% and the burn calculator on the treadmill is probably off by 20%

Basically if someone losses 0.35 pounds when they theoretically should have lost 0.5 that doesn't invalidate the calories in calories out concept. The fact that it works AT ALL in the face of all the problems that make it difficult to implement, proves that it's rock solid.

Calories In/Calories out is the worst system for predicting weight change, except for all the others.