Anyone go to Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• smtaylo85
    smtaylo85 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    here is a simple solution if you like PF awesome keep doing you're thing if it works for you. if you're not a fan of the place then don't go. or even better skip the post instead of running you're mouth off about it.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes. The old "If you don't like their tactics, don't go there" response.

Somehow, I don't think people would defend it so vociferously if they were to declare themselves a "Fatty-Free Zone" and said that that overweight people were the real lunks.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

Somehow, I don't think people would defend it so vociferously if they were to declare themselves a "Fatty-Free Zone" and said that that overweight people were the real lunks.

This niche market....is already filled...
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    skip the pizza and just workout Great deal at $10 a month

Indeed.

No one forces you to eat the pizza and bagels.

What people don't understand is that the PF's are independently owned which means that depending on the one you go to there may or may not be an array of equipment. While the one I go to doesn't have a squat rack or olympic bars I was in one in Providence RI that did. And again, with the deadlifts it depends on the PF owners. I see people doing deadlifts in my gym. I've done them as the owner and the manager was walking by and no one kicked me out or told me to stop. Also there are a LOT of really fit, ripped guys that go to my gym. In fact I saw a few when I was there today.

It's not the gym's fault if someone goes there consistently and fails to lose weight or get ripped or whatever their goal is it's the individuals fault. I'm sure there are plenty of people who go to Golds or one of those other expensive gyms and they just keep getting fatter and fatter because they're eating whatever they want and not expending the energy to lose weight. It has nothing to do with a gym and what equipment they do or don' t have. It has everything to do with the individual.

Agreed. I hate when people be so quick to say "oh its not a real gym" or "I don't want to go there because they serve pizza" ......ok you don't have to eat the pizza or bagels! duh!. And just because the PF doesn't fit into what you "prefer" in a gym don't mean you have to go around downing it. I use to go there awhile back and it served it purpose. I never heard the Alarm and no one was one was never asked to leave because they didn't have on a full shirt. But I can't speak for all PF. I rather see a person making an effort to go workout rather then not going because they can't deadlift or because there is pizza. smh. To each its own though. Depending on what level of fitness or the kind of fitness you are trying to achieve.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    smtaylo85 wrote: »
    here is a simple solution if you like PF awesome keep doing you're thing if it works for you. if you're not a fan of the place then don't go. or even better skip the post instead of running you're mouth off about it.

I have nothing more of substance to add to the discussion, but I wanted to say that your avatar photo is just the sweetest thing!
  • spartan_d
    edited August 2015
    Options

This niche market....is already filled...

Really? I've never heard of this. Which gym says that fatties are not allowed and that these people are despicable human beings?
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I just find it hard to believe that anyone really feels discriminated against by PF's "judgment free zone" slogan. It's just a marketing concept. Whether feelings of gym intimidation are real or perceived (I assume mostly the latter), PF probably just wants to capitalize on those people that think other gyms are overwhelming. Easy money. Most of the people I see there appear to be typical gym-going people who just want easy and cheap access to standard equipment.

I admit I get sucked into these silly arguments as much as people on the other side. But it seems, at least in this thread, the passion lies mostly within the anti-PF contingent.
  • spartan_d
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I just find it hard to believe that anyone really feels discriminated against by PF's "judgment free zone" slogan. It's just a marketing concept.
    I've known plenty, including a friend of mine who was kicked out just for doing renegade rows.

Then there's this guy: http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592 and this gal: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/20/too-fit-for-planet-fitness_n_5002658.html

Besides, why would this be so hard to believe? If overweight people would be offended by a "fatty-free zone," then why wouldn't phsyically fit people -- or those who aspire to be fit -- be repelled by an environment that ridicules their success or aspirations?
  • smtaylo85
    smtaylo85 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    smtaylo85 wrote: »

I have nothing more of substance to add to the discussion, but I wanted to say that your avatar photo is just the sweetest thing!

Thanks!
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I have a PF membership (that I hardly use but so what is 10 bucks lol) and there is plenty to do, though I love my regular gym with it's fancy hot tub and steam room and pool lol. Still, I've always felt like the pizza thing perpetuates the idea that they don't take fitness seriously there at all. It's like they want to market to people who don't really want to get in shape but want to say they have a gym membership.

I go to LA Fitness, no pizza or bagel nights, but there are people who seem to come there just to say they have a gym membership. Then there are those that come to really work out. In all reality, should the gym take fitness serious or should the members take it serious??

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Jeez man, The whales need saving. Children around the world are starving.

Don't go to the gym. Save your vitriol for something worthwhile.
    I noticed that your response didn't actually answer anyone's objections.

Pot meet kettle. Can you say irony?

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    As far as pizza, it is like everything else at a gym... use it or don't. I have to be honest, though: I have seen a lot of MFP users argue that PF is not a serious gym because they have pizza nights. Some of those same MFP users will also support "bulking dirty" (eating junk food like pop tarts in order to get additional calories during a bulk cycle).

There's a difference between strategically bulking up, as part of a disciplined and demanding regimen, and providing fattening temptations for passers-by, Very few people need to "bulk up," and they generally do so as part of a strict, self-imposed plan. The vast majority of Americans need to reduce their caloric intake rather than increase it.

Besides, PF itself says that they don't cater to bodybuilders, so that rules out the "bulking up" excuse.

Right - I forgot that bodybuilders are the only people who are bulking / growing muscle. (sarcasm)
  • spartan_d
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Fella, the vast majority of people don't need to "bulk" in order to grow muscle. They can typically do so with normal eating habits, provided that they eat a balanced diet. "Bulking" typically refers to consuming MASSIVE amounts of calories -- not something that your average Joe needs to do in order to put on some muscle. People who are out-of-shape most certainly do not need a bulking phase, since just about any lifting they do is likely to improve their muscle mass.

http://www.quora.com/What-is-bulking
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/lose-fat/death-bulk-and-cut-diet

So no, it would be foolish to justify PF's free pizza days on the grounds that they're good for bulking... especially given PF's target clientele.
  • LeWahnderful
    LeWahnderful Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a membership, but I never go lol
  • spartan_d
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Jeez man, The whales need saving. Children around the world are starving.

Don't go to the gym. Save your vitriol for something worthwhile.
    I noticed that your response didn't actually answer anyone's objections.

Pot meet kettle. Can you say irony?
    hbrittingham, the fact that I disagree with you does NOT mean that I ignore your objections, Quite the contrary; as anyone reading this thread can see, I tend to post very detailed, almost point-by-point responses. In fact, in another discussion, you spoke disparagingly about the level of effort that I put into these replies.

I most certainly do not respond to my critics with dismissive remarks like "Jeez man, The whales need saving. Children around the world are starving." or "Holy smokes people! Seriously! Get over yourselves...." Rather, I choose to address the points they raise.

You know this full well, hbrittingham. When you accused PF critics of saying that Planet Fitness forces pizza down its clients' throats, I was quick to point out that we said no such thing. When you accused me of saying that I have never stepped foot in a PF location, I pointed out that this was an unfounded assumption on your part -- that many of my criticisms are, in fact, based on my personal experiences there. And so forth, and so on.

Look, you clearly want people to believe that I do nothing but ignore the objections that people like you raise. Anyone who reads this discussion with an honest heart can see that this is completely untrue. You might not agree with my position, but you cannot legitimately accuse me of ignoring what you say.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Fella, the vast majority of people don't need to "bulk" in order to grow muscle. They can typically do so with normal eating habits, provided that they eat a balanced diet. "Bulking" typically refers to consuming MASSIVE amounts of calories -- not something that your average Joe needs to do in order to put on some muscle. People who are out-of-shape most certainly do not need a bulking phase, since just about any lifting they do is likely to improve their muscle mass.

So no, it would be foolish to justify PF's free pizza days on the grounds that they're good for bulking... especially given PF's target clientele.

Not everyone is on a low-carb diet. Carbs are not evil.
    Runners carbo-load too
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I was a member, but I got bored and wanted a gym with classes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

You completely missed my point. My point is that some of the people who argue in favor of bulking dirty are often the same people who will complain that a gym isn't a serious gym because they offer pizza sometimes. It's contradictory.

Whether those people are right that bulking dirty (or bulking at all) is a worthwhile endeavor is a completely different topic. FWIW I agree with you on that topic, but still irrelevant to my point that the argument is contradictory.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I just find it hard to believe that anyone really feels discriminated against by PF's "judgment free zone" slogan. It's just a marketing concept. Whether feelings of gym intimidation are real or perceived (I assume mostly the latter), PF probably just wants to capitalize on those people that think other gyms are overwhelming. Easy money. Most of the people I see there appear to be typical gym-going people who just want easy and cheap access to standard equipment.

I admit I get sucked into these silly arguments as much as people on the other side. But it seems, at least in this thread, the passion lies mostly within the anti-PF contingent.

You understand it isn't the slogan, but the absolute hypocrisy behind it and the blatant caricature of the physically fit that they do to perpetuate a stereotype of the fitness industry that helps their bottom line......right?

They put judgment right on the wall of their judgment free zone, they define many fitness enthusiasts who dare carry a large container of water as dumb or dull right on the wall when they call people lunks.

If they were just a purple gym that advertised they catered to the beginner or intermediate, they would catch far less on boards as these and would be just another SNAP, Anytime, 24/7, etc...They created a great business model, kudos to them, they're banking on the bad pub because it's free advertising and they laugh straight to the bank.
  • spartan_d
    Options

You completely missed my point. My point is that some of the people who argue in favor of bulking dirty are often the same people who will complain that a gym isn't a serious gym because they offer pizza sometimes. It's contradictory.

First, I'm not an advocate of dirty bulking, so your objection doesn't apply to me. But even if it did, there is no contradiction.

PF critics aren't saying that you should NEVER have pizza. There are times when it might be warranted, such as when hardcore muscle gainers go through a bulking phase. For your typical gymgoer though -- and most especially PF's target clientele -- there is absolutely no need for bulking.

Heck, PF doesn't even advertise this as a bulking aid. Rather, it's just "Free pizza! Free pizza!" When you consider that the vast majority of Americans eat too much of this sort of thing, it's most certainly a bad idea.

As for annaskiski's point... I never said that carbs were evil. Rather, I said that pizza is an unnecessary temptation for the vast majority of gymgoers. Carbs can certainly be useful for carb loading, but only a tiny minority of Americans participate in marathons, half-marathons, Spartan races, and other events where carb loading can be useful. Besides, based on their marketing campaign, PF most certainly doesn't promote pizza as a carb loading tool either.