Options
1234568»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Fella, the vast majority of people don't need to "bulk" in order to grow muscle. They can typically do so with normal eating habits, provided that they eat a balanced diet. "Bulking" typically refers to consuming MASSIVE amounts of calories -- not something that your average Joe needs to do in order to put on some muscle. People who are out-of-shape most certainly do not need a bulking phase, since just about any lifting they do is likely to improve their muscle mass.

http://www.quora.com/What-is-bulking
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/lose-fat/death-bulk-and-cut-diet

So no, it would be foolish to justify PF's free pizza days on the grounds that they're good for bulking... especially given PF's target clientele.

You completely missed my point. My point is that some of the people who argue in favor of bulking dirty are often the same people who will complain that a gym isn't a serious gym because they offer pizza sometimes. It's contradictory.

First, I'm not an advocate of dirty bulking, so your objection doesn't apply to me. But even if it did, there is no contradiction.

PF critics aren't saying that you should NEVER have pizza. There are times when it might be warranted, such as when hardcore muscle gainers go through a bulking phase. For your typical gymgoer though -- and most especially PF's target clientele -- there is absolutely no need for bulking.

Heck, PF doesn't even advertise this as a bulking aid. Rather, it's just "Free pizza! Free pizza!" When you consider that the vast majority of Americans eat too much of this sort of thing, it's most certainly a bad idea.

As for annaskiski's point... I never said that carbs were evil. Rather, I said that pizza is an unnecessary temptation for the vast majority of gymgoers. Carbs can certainly be useful for carb loading, but only a tiny minority of Americans participate in marathons, half-marathons, Spartan races, and other events where carb loading can be useful. Besides, based on their marketing campaign, PF most certainly doesn't promote pizza as a carb loading tool either.

I never said I was referring to you. In fact, as per MFP forum rules, I've intentionally left off any identification of which user(s) are the subject of my point. You responded to my comment, and I responded back... and so on.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Okay, point taken. I can admit error when it's warranted.

Still, the point remains. The vast majority of gym goers don't need to consume massive numbers of calories in order to grow muscle. Your typical Planet Fitness member certainly does not.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have a membership, but I never go lol

The REAL target clientele for Planet Fitness. It's so cheap so people don't mind paying $10 a month even if they never actually go. These are the kinds of people they are really after.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have a membership, but I never go lol

The REAL target clientele for Planet Fitness. It's so cheap so people don't mind paying $10 a month even if they never actually go. These are the kinds of people they are really after.

That's the target clientele for most chain gyms, Jan and May the gyms are crowded, don't see most of these people any other time. Most will go a year before they cancel because the keep saying I'm going to start tomorrow, I'm going to start next week.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    No. Most gyms understand that a lot of people will sign up and not actually show up. That's entirely different from specifically targeting these kind of people, while actively discouraging the people who do tend to use such facilities on a regular basis.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I like it. It's cheaper than my old gym and has more and nicer equipment. They have at least 2 of each circuit machine. They have tons of cardio machines like treadmills, bikes, etc. And they have a nice 30-minute cardio-circuit area with timers.

The "lunk alarm" appears to be automatically triggered by excessive noise. I do feel a little bit like a ShaoLin monk making sure I exercise in silence, but I can deal with that for $10 a month.

If you are going to be dropping weights or otherwise making lots of noise while exercising PF is probably not for you. If you are a "serious" athlete PF is probably not for you.

There's nothing wrong with pizza or bagles if they fit your daily allotment.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    As has been said, every PF location is independently owned and operated and so I've seen vast differences among the four I've been in. Some have equipment (yes Olympic bars do exist in some) that others do not and I've yet to see two set up the same. I realize 4 is not a great sample size, but its still higher than the zero to one that many critics have experienced.

I don't understand the severe criticism of pizza. Its 1 hour out of 700+ in a month. The food seems unnecessary, and I don't understand it, but I don't think it alone is a reason to stay away. The more comprehensive gym near me is located directly next to a great local brewery. That is far more tempting than crappy shared public pizza ever will be.

That said, I also don't get the PF judge-free/lunk marketing and can understand the criticism of it. Its seems so very unnecessary and I can see why people can be turned off enough by that to never set food inside. In my experience, and based on conversations I've had with people who go there, they go because its cheap and convenient. Not because they're afraid of judgement, more muscular members or because of the freebies. I've seen many long time members who appear to be very physically fit, with great muscle bulk and definition. More than I could ever hope to achieve, and so I feel that I will likely not exceed the bounds of what is offered.

The bottom line is that anyone considering any fitness center should consider what their needs are, and figure out which place meets it. There's nothing wrong with wanting and needing more than a PF location can offer, and nothing wrong with making progress based on what is offered. I can do everything I wish to do in my local PF, most importantly showing up at 4 am when nothing else is open. There's no squat rack in mine, but I can easily do deadlifts and have never gotten a single look from anyone on it. I can't push past my limits and drop, but I'm okay with that for my goals. To the OP- figure out what your needs and goals are. Figure out a plan. Then find a place that will fulfill them.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I agree with your post pretty much completely, Brightside. Even though I don't tend to believe there are many people actually offended by their marketing (it kind of strikes me as being outraged for the sake of being outraged, but so be it), it's unnecessary considering most people that go there are doing it for the cheap rates and not for the atmosphere. I also assume it varies by location because I've never heard a lunk alarm go off or seen tank tops banned or witnessed anyone confronting anyone working out.

Anyway, I guess my only remaining issue is the people criticizing PF as an inadequate gym or disputing the mindset that doing something is better than doing nothing. In this regard, it really does come down to- if you don't like it or it doesn't fit your needs don't go there, same as any gym. I guess having pizza at a gym is a bit odd but nothing that would deter me from going either.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I belong to PF. I have the $10/month membership.

I really joined because I need low-impact cardio options, a gym that's close, and one that has hours that work with my schedule. For the price of my own elliptical I can join PF for over 5 years and never have to worry with equipment repair or storing equipment in my own home.

Now to be honest, I really like that a lot of the clientele are like me, they just want to improve their general fitness and get some cardio in. I like that it's quiet. I have enough noise between my two sons and working full-time in elementary and middle schools. That's just me. We all have different goals and needs. I can fully appreciate that PF isn't the place for everyone. I'm not even sure when mine has these mysterious bagels or pizza. I'm not really interested in eating at the gym. By the time I leave I smell like sweat and just want to get my hands on a bar of soap.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I have a PF membership (that I hardly use but so what is 10 bucks lol) and there is plenty to do, though I love my regular gym with it's fancy hot tub and steam room and pool lol. Still, I've always felt like the pizza thing perpetuates the idea that they don't take fitness seriously there at all. It's like they want to market to people who don't really want to get in shape but want to say they have a gym membership.

I go to LA Fitness, no pizza or bagel nights, but there are people who seem to come there just to say they have a gym membership. Then there are those that come to really work out. In all reality, should the gym take fitness serious or should the members take it serious??

both I'd say. A "real gym" as I'll call it makes me more motivated to work out hard, but that's just me. To each his own.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have a PF membership (that I hardly use but so what is 10 bucks lol) and there is plenty to do, though I love my regular gym with it's fancy hot tub and steam room and pool lol. Still, I've always felt like the pizza thing perpetuates the idea that they don't take fitness seriously there at all. It's like they want to market to people who don't really want to get in shape but want to say they have a gym membership.

I go to LA Fitness, no pizza or bagel nights, but there are people who seem to come there just to say they have a gym membership. Then there are those that come to really work out. In all reality, should the gym take fitness serious or should the members take it serious??

both I'd say. A "real gym" as I'll call it makes me more motivated to work out hard, but that's just me. To each his own.

Hmm If I saw you at the gym I would diffidently be motivated to show up everyday :-)