checkout my idea for improving America's health

Options

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Troll. Thy name is transparent! Reveal thyself!

*hands you a staff* Gandalf needs his staff before throwing around magic spells. Or in the very least, it makes it exciting!

Why thank you! I am now much better equipped.

OP,
    you-shall-not-pass1.jpg
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I smoked off and on for 15 years. No amount of "shaming" worked. I quit when faced with my own mortality.

Similarly, fat shaming just led me to locking myself in my house for a month at a time and eating nonstop to numb the emotional pain.

Next?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I also think we should nationalize healthcare and give massive tax breaks to citizens who are healthy, not just by being normal weight, but by blood-work and of course not smoking...

Why would you want to do that? Healthy people are, on average, a larger cost burden on society in old age than unhealthy people.

If the goal were a "rational" tax policy, we would increase the burden on *healthy* people.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents is that thinking Europeans are somehow thinner is an old myth and if it was ever true, it isn't any more.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If government worked, society would be "fixed" already! :drinker:
    Also;
    If society worked, government would be "fixed" already! :drinker:

If government is ever the answer, then you asked the wrong question. :flowerforyou:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    A massive project that’ll get Americans in shape, in all age groups. The project will tackle obesity like how groups tackled cigarettes back in the day, and will be the largest battle against unhealthy lifestyle choices since that.

Goals:

Federal ban on high fructose corn syrup/kill government's subsidies/Research Europe's relation with HFCS. Sames goes for the variety of other contributors. Get them to subsidize the fruit and vegetable industry instead

Make healthy vegetables and meat to be inexpensive

Promote how they're a burden to the country's economy

Research the difference between American and European food. Note what's packed in our food, and find a reason to end it.

Teach people how terrible obesity is to your body, liken overeating to cigarette smoking through a brilliant, massive marketing campaign. Campaign should include limiting portions

Try to get all schools to educate kids about nutrition and overeating in elementary school.

Promote more kids playing outside

Solve problems that's ensue of reducing influence on corn sugar hfcs (increased sugar cane prices etc)

Reform P.E.

Reform school lunches

Change the lame stigma on eating well, as well as being overweight. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

Research the correlation with low income and obesity. Drastically cut down on it, with acquired knowledge

Tax soda and energy drinks

Tie part of health insurance cost to healthy bodyfat percentage,

Tie part of health insurance cost to smoking

PLEASE offer any constructive criticism you can. You know, give me your guys' classic pessimistic, elitist input. But you know, something that's constructive .
    Thanks!

oh give me a break.

iuwew7n.gif
  • Many of your ideas reflect how life was once lived by most of us. There was a time when people had natural portion control and being " greedy" was a horrible attribute. At that time , almost everyone ate decent portion sizes.

For example, in my elementary school years, there was perhaps ONE overweight child in the entire school. This in included the inactive kids and the sporty types ---- everyone understood not to overeat, I remember my Uncle telling my Mother ( his sister ) "your apple pie is wonderful but I had one slice, I have had enough sweets". So people knew not to overdo sweets.

Many of your ideas are great, but the Food Industry, Big Pharma, the corporations involved fight using highly financed ads and commercials--- so people are always encouraged by those industries to buy more, eat more then take pills to control the predictable results.

A bit of Fat Shaming wasn't always considered a negative.
    I agree,and in japan being fat is illegal,fat shaming is used to keep everyone at a healthy weight.Honestly America has much looser standards about what is actually normal.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Also;

If government is ever the answer, then you asked the wrong question. :flowerforyou:

So we never should have asked how to end slavery and child labor in the first place? We should never ask how to defend our borders, build roads, or maintain a police force?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Also;

So we never should have asked how to end slavery and child labor in the first place? We should never ask how to defend our borders, build roads, or maintain a police force?

Or invent the internet, set up national parks, medical insurance for seniors...
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    HFCS was not put in soda or other foods to make them affordable. Nor, in fact, is it actually less expensive.

Yes, HFCS is cheaper than sugar. It is exactly why many companies use it instead of sugar.

No, it is not. Corn is subsidized and GMO and so is the resulting HFCS. It's not less expesnsive to produce, though it is a way for farming to get rid of a waste product (corn they would otherwise be paid to simply destroy) and is easy to grow. If you factor in costs of production, marketing, and taxpayer money spent, it's actually more expensive than the more difficult to produce cane sugar. That's even before you add the icreased burden in healthcare costs.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Also;

Or invent the internet, set up national parks, medical insurance for seniors...

Also make meat affordable with subsidies, keep our food relatively contaminant free (we desperately need to slap the FDA and USDA and make them do a better job, though), and fire departments. Fire departments are nice. I like them.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Nov 11 (Reuters) - Corn syrup producers are scrambling to defend their once-dominant share of the U.S. sweetener market, offering rare price cuts for next year as tumbling sugar prices erode the advantage of typically cheaper syrup.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/11/sugar-usa-hfcs-idUSL2N0IQ13T20131111
  • hotsaucebg3
    Options
    I just want to say that nothing is impossible in this world. This idea is 100% achievable. But money will be needed, couple of millions will be a good start. And Alot of work ans thought on this project also. Do NOT listen other people's (negative)opinions or you will fail big. Keep it up bro, i am ready to donate 10$ for the cause. The bad news is that we're gonna lead war against the food industry and not only, the health maybe too, because if everyone is healthy and buy only veggies they will lose billions
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    *rolling eyes*
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    This picture seems more realistic and sensible...

(Skyler and Walter are laughing at you and Jesse is like "WTF?")

1HwhQHU.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that nothing is impossible in this world. This idea is 100% achievable. But money will be needed, couple of millions will be a good start. And Alot of work ans thought on this project also. Do NOT listen other people's (negative)opinions or you will fail big. Keep it up bro, i am ready to donate 10$ for the cause. The bad news is that we're gonna lead war against the food industry and not only, the health maybe too, because if everyone is healthy and buy only veggies they will lose billions

Wut.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that nothing is impossible in this world.
    Me losing 20lb of fat in the next five minutes with no surgery and no harmful effects. LOTS of things are impossible.

For instance the thought you would only need a couple of million for this sort of plan.

Then the suggestion that listening to negative opionons will make you 'fail big'.
    NO.
    NOT listening to negative opinions is the way all but the most lucky people 'fail big'.

But of, course, I'm presuming you're "just another troll" - I was hungry so thought I'd take a bite :).
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that nothing is impossible in this world. The bad news is that we're gonna lead war against the veggies.

70joxt.jpg
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    A massive project that’ll get Americans in shape, in all age groups. The project will tackle obesity like how groups tackled cigarettes back in the day, and will be the largest battle against unhealthy lifestyle choices since that.

Goals:

Federal ban on high fructose corn syrup/kill government's subsidies/Research Europe's relation with HFCS. Sames goes for the variety of other contributors. Get them to subsidize the fruit and vegetable industry instead

Make healthy vegetables and meat to be inexpensive

Promote how they're a burden to the country's economy

Research the difference between American and European food. Note what's packed in our food, and find a reason to end it.

Teach people how terrible obesity is to your body, liken overeating to cigarette smoking through a brilliant, massive marketing campaign. Campaign should include limiting portions

Try to get all schools to educate kids about nutrition and overeating in elementary school.

Promote more kids playing outside

Solve problems that's ensue of reducing influence on corn sugar hfcs (increased sugar cane prices etc)

Reform P.E.

Reform school lunches

Change the lame stigma on eating well, as well as being overweight. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

Research the correlation with low income and obesity. Drastically cut down on it, with acquired knowledge

Tax soda and energy drinks

Tie part of health insurance cost to healthy bodyfat percentage,

Tie part of health insurance cost to smoking

PLEASE offer any constructive criticism you can. You know, give me your guys' classic pessimistic, elitist input. But you know, something that's constructive .
    Thanks!

Prohibition, shaming, no fiscal plan, no agricultural supply chain and false Eruocentric assumptions about a singular healthy diet (see England and Greece for examples of divergence).... Trolling or for realsies?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Also;

Omagerhd! Muh roads!

Who builds roads? PEOPLE!

And child labor laws are B.S. My kids would *love* to see them gone.