• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    child labor laws are B.S.

Well then.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Take away my high fructose corn syrup and I may go postal.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Who builds roads? PEOPLE!

That's not historically correct.

People "build" trails, gov'ts build roads.
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Why do people think the answer to everything is the Government and restrictions?? This has to be the most ridiculous conceptual "list" of wishes. Why can't people take responsibility and ownership of their own actions? I went to college so I could get a good job and have money and insurance (even though a big portion of it goes to pay for others...). I pay my bills on time so I can have good credit and make better investments. I buy nutritious food and only eat adequate portions of it so that I can be healthy. I exercise and lift weights so I can have a healthy cardiovascular system and nice physique. Has the government forced me to do any of this? No! Has it been easy? No! Have there been obstacles? Absolutely! Have I given MYSELF limits and goals? Yes! This is my life! So why would any of this concern anyone else or the US government? Inconceivable!

:explode:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Why can't people take responsibility and ownership of their own actions?

Dunno why, but the reality is that they clearly don't. Doesn't seem that there's any way to make them do so, either.

It's great that you're so awesome and all, but that really seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    A massive project that’ll get Americans in shape, in all age groups. The project will tackle obesity like how groups tackled cigarettes back in the day, and will be the largest battle against unhealthy lifestyle choices since that.

Goals:

Federal ban on high fructose corn syrup/kill government's subsidies/Research Europe's relation with HFCS. Sames goes for the variety of other contributors. Get them to subsidize the fruit and vegetable industry instead

Make healthy vegetables and meat to be inexpensive

Promote how they're a burden to the country's economy

Research the difference between American and European food. Note what's packed in our food, and find a reason to end it.

Teach people how terrible obesity is to your body, liken overeating to cigarette smoking through a brilliant, massive marketing campaign. Campaign should include limiting portions

Try to get all schools to educate kids about nutrition and overeating in elementary school.

Promote more kids playing outside

Solve problems that's ensue of reducing influence on corn sugar hfcs (increased sugar cane prices etc)

Reform P.E.

Reform school lunches

Change the lame stigma on eating well, as well as being overweight. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

Research the correlation with low income and obesity. Drastically cut down on it, with acquired knowledge

Tax soda and energy drinks

Tie part of health insurance cost to healthy bodyfat percentage,

Tie part of health insurance cost to smoking

PLEASE offer any constructive criticism you can. You know, give me your guys' classic pessimistic, elitist input. But you know, something that's constructive .
    Thanks!

oh give me a break.

iuwew7n.gif

I'ma gonna go throw up now ....
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Why do people think the answer to everything is the Government and restrictions?? This has to be the most ridiculous conceptual "list" of wishes. Why can't people take responsibility and ownership of their own actions? I went to college so I could get a good job and have money and insurance (even though a big portion of it goes to pay for others...). I pay my bills on time so I can have good credit and make better investments. I buy nutritious food and only eat adequate portions of it so that I can be healthy. I exercise and lift weights so I can have a healthy cardiovascular system and nice physique. Has the government forced me to do any of this? No! Has it been easy? No! Have there been obstacles? Absolutely! Have I given MYSELF limits and goals? Yes! This is my life! So why would any of this concern anyone else or the US government? Inconceivable!

:explode:

Ya didn't use any government grants, go to public primary school or a government state school or use any government subsidized loans, did you?
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    good luck with that..monsanto will kill us all before they let that happen, they want us fat and addicted to hall of their poisonous food.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Actually, the roads in my neighborhood had nothing to do with government. The neighbors all put their money together and paved the roads, which had previously been trails.

Government is not necessary to build roads, only to steal money under the guise of maintenance then let them fall apart.

being-libertarian-meme-generator-without-government-who-d-neglect-the-roads-034978.jpg
  • zabrak999
    Options

. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

It's not acceptable to shame people or make fun of them WTF everyone has the right to exist without feeling like a piece of **** even if they smoke or are fat who cares

Except it's entirely acceptable to shame people.

We did just that with people who smoke cigs. As a kid, I remember watching kid shows, and in commercial breaks I'd normally see commercials that would shame cigarette smokers. You know, giving us the impression that people who smoke cigarettes and what have you are losers.

They didn't worry about hurting people's feelings, and it indeed gave a generation of kids that smoking is lame. I'm sure it was the same in the 80s and perhaps 70s, too. No doubt the same with 2000s kids, and on up.

This is what we need to do with fat people.

We need to convince the public that overeating is about just as bad as cigarette smoking. This whole 'fat acceptance movement' is 100% illogical, and needs to abolished in the same way we abolished the image that smoking is cool.

Period.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If government worked, society would be "fixed" already! :drinker:
    Also;
    If society worked, government would be "fixed" already! :drinker:

If government is ever the answer, then you asked the wrong question. :flowerforyou:

So we never should have asked how to end slavery and child labor in the first place? We should never ask how to defend our borders, build roads, or maintain a police force?

Omagerhd! Muh roads!

And child labor laws are B.S. My kids would *love* to see them gone.

People get together to create more efficient ways of doing things that need done. Taxes, roads, government. Now don't get me wrong, our government is a corrupt disaster. But we need to take it over and hold it accountable, not simply abolish it. I don't think I'd like anarchy. Not full-on, Mad Max anarchy, anyway.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Why can't people take responsibility and ownership of their own actions?

Freedom and personal responsibility are irrevocably linked. When you take away freedom, you are also sending personal responsibility down the toilet. The only way to increase personal responsibility is to increase freedom.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that nothing is impossible in this world. This idea is 100% achievable. But money will be needed, couple of millions will be a good start. And Alot of work ans thought on this project also. Do NOT listen other people's (negative)opinions or you will fail big. Keep it up bro, i am ready to donate 10$ for the cause. The bad news is that we're gonna lead war against the food industry and not only, the health maybe too, because if everyone is healthy and buy only veggies they will lose billions
    Or listening may teach someone something when it comes to reality.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jestinia
    Options

Actually, the roads in my neighborhood had nothing to do with government. The neighbors all put their money together and paved the roads, which had previously been trails.

Government is not necessary to build roads, only to steal money under the guise of maintenance then let them fall apart.

being-libertarian-meme-generator-without-government-who-d-neglect-the-roads-034978.jpg

I am assuming you got together, assigned people to do certain tasks that had to be done (hiring a contractor or doing the work themselves, handling payments in and out, etc.), and then as you said, you put the money together. Congratulations, you created a very small government to get something done that you all wanted done!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Also;

If government is ever the answer, then you asked the wrong question. :flowerforyou:

So we never should have asked how to end slavery and child labor in the first place? We should never ask how to defend our borders, build roads, or maintain a police force?

Omagerhd! Muh roads!

People get together to create more efficient ways of doing things that need done. Taxes, roads, government. Now don't get me wrong, our government is a corrupt disaster. But we need to take it over and hold it accountable, not simply abolish it. I don't think I'd like anarchy. Not full-on, Mad Max anarchy, anyway.

I think if we could actually hold politicians accountable, that would be proof that we are ready for a stateless society.

I HEARTILY ACCEPT the motto, — "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe, — "That government is best which governs not at all"; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I am assuming you got together, assigned people to do certain tasks that had to be done (hiring a contractor or doing the work themselves, handling payments in and out, etc.), and then as you said, you put the money together. Congratulations, you created a very small government to get something done that you all wanted done!

Yep, a stateless "government" works just fine when people are *allowed* to do it. Government gets in the way more often than it helps.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Except it's entirely acceptable to shame people.

Yeah, if you want someone to kick your *kitten*!~
  • Jestinia
    Options
    Also;

Omagerhd! Muh roads!

I think if we could actually hold politicians accountable, that would be proof that we are ready for a stateless society.

I HEARTILY ACCEPT the motto, — "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe, — "That government is best which governs not at all"; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have.

We can hold them accountable. We just have to stop voting for the ones who are taking money from corporate interests and are therefore being held accountable by those with the checkbooks.

And if you can't trust your government to manage healthcare, you sure can't trust it to order about the guys with the guns and bombs, yet the Libertarian mindset is to do just that and call it good. It isn't good.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes instantly need to be reviewed. From the programmes I have seen and the things I have heard about America, it is little wonder that the country has such a huge obesity problem. The number of restaurants who give out huge portions anyway and then glorify excessive consumption with eating challenges that tempt people to scoff enough food for 3 people, the size of small drinks that equate to what in other countries would be a large or extra large size.....

Psychologists have done experiments that show that people will eat food left on their plate even if they are not hungry. This is a terrible habit.

Forget taxation and the rest. Too complicated and it is a flawed concept. Some of the other suggestions made by the original poster including shaming overweight people and forcing healthy foods to be more reasonably priced are even more baffling

People just need to take more responsibility for themselves on a more fundamental level.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yep, a stateless "government" works just fine when people are *allowed* to do it.

Never has, never will. Anything above the population of a small tribe needs gov't, or it will get run over by neighbouring tribes that do institute gov't.

That's just the way it is.