Christmas Weight Gain - be honest!

Options
OK, so I weighed myself on 23rd Dec before leaving home to go to family over Xmas, and again this morning having got back from the festivities:

I put on 4lbs.

There! - my terrible admission!

It was my birthday not long before Xmas too, and a big meal out, few chocolates and I guess with it getting cold and wet and not walking as much as I do in better weather, I'd already crept up 3lbs from my ideal weight of 11st since mid-November (having worked hard all Spring/Summer to get down from 14.5st)

I also knew it was inevitable I'd put on a few pounds over Xmas - all that food and sitting around doing nothing much! - though I tried not to over-indulge too much, without being a totally miserable git at every meal time and becoming annoying by refusing every offer of a chocolate!

So, result is I need to lose 7lbs in Jan to get back to my 11st, which I'm pretty comfortable at - I'd still like to lose a little bit more belly fat beyond that, but any less than 11st and I start to look very thin in the face and people say I look sick! - so need to figure that one out this year, probably need to sort out an excercise plan I suspect to tone up the mid-section without necessarily losing any more actual weight on the scales as it were.

So, who else is going to admit to putting on a few lbs over Christmas??

Replies

• DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I put on 3lbs, but its fine as it was Xmas - it won't happen every week and I'll lose it again soon :)
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I had gotten off track before long before Christmas. I was at goal and life took a turn in the wrong direction with my eating and exercise. Christmas just added to it. I decided to get back on it and wait another week to see how badly I have really done over the last month, so I do not know for sure yet. Its not pretty im sure
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    3lbs here, but I really don't mind, I'll start back working it off again today :)
  • Filletsteak
    Filletsteak Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    3lbs. Didn't log very much in December so can't be too surprised about it. Am back on track now, though!
  • kitty13168
    kitty13168 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    7lbs

i never eat bread usually or excessive amounts of fats/salt etc - so not just weight gain but bloat/retention too for sure

eaten a ton of bread/fat/salt/dairy/meat - all big shock to the system & i feel ILL.

roll on feeling healthy again!

wish id stop doing this every xmas/new yr - only thing in life i ever regret but never seem to learn
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    About 3 pounds here but it's going to come off quickly. Most of my sins involved higher sodium than I am used to.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I weighed in this morning and am currently 6lbs up from where I was on 12th December. Considering all the awesome tasty and calorific food I ate in December, I'm actually surprised it wasn't more. I would be pretty pleased if I wasn't due to go on my first beach holiday in over 2 years in a weeks time!!!:noway:

I really do want to lose as much of the 6lbs as I can before I get on that plane and I only have a week....I won't lose all of it but I'm mostly eating lots of homemade soup & salads for the next week which isn't difficult since I've eaten so many heavy meals over the last couple of weeks, I'm actually enjoying the change to lighter meals. In any case I'm so excited to have a week of sunshine that a few lbs isnt going to ruin my holiday.....Maybe next year I'll not book one for early Jan though as would have been nice to have an extra few weeks to work off the christmas excess!
  • 1971jamie
    1971jamie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm not the only one then!

Glad to hear we're all determined to get it off again though, and we all know we *can* do it - that's the main thing.

Most of my gain will have been due to more carbs than usual - I'd gotten used to a lower-carb diet, but with Christmas comes cake, biscuits, chocolate, and so on. Suspect I'm going to be craving the carbs again now for a few days, but hopefully back to normal before long.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I actually lost ... 0.9kg so that's just under 2lbs !!!!! (Very pleased - total loss in Dec was 8lbs).
  • kitty13168
    kitty13168 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    cravings are insane - carbs (non complex) destroy me for weeks!
    can't eat enough (in satiety terms) but eating FAR too much ... takes me ages to get my routine back under control & stop being hungry all the time after a blow out

doable though - done it a million times before & nothing matters more than feeling good - haven't missed the discipline, but im already missing feeling full of energy, healthy, fit and pretty.
  • Alvin195
    Options
    I always gain weight over the holidays, but then lose those extra pounds within a few days. The challenge is losing the extra 30 pounds that I need to lose. Baby steps!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I list 2lbs, which was entirely due to getting our and about every day and not sitting on my bum all day like I do when I'm in the office!
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight as I had a bad cold over Xmas. Not complaining though, and am now 4 lbs down now from Dec 23rd.
  • Yram29
    Yram29 Posts: 10
    Options
    I lost 2lb because being off work gave me time to get to the gym, although I ate and drank tons too! When I relax about food I end up losing weight ironically
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Normally I can keep it under control for the holidays and I don't see much of a fluxuation in my weight... THIS year however.... I went away for a whole week with my fiance and his whole family. The amount of christmas cookies that I ate would make Santa blush, and not to mention the other food we had throughout the week. Came home to a 4 pound weight gain. But, not to be discouraged... I'm working myself back down and then some
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Not me. I lost - I'm on a mini cut and stuck to my macros.
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to say - none! new year's dinner was well, didn't overeat :D (i don't celebrate christmas)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I actually lost. 1.6 lbs over Xmas week, Dec 23-29. :)
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I gained 7lbs from about the 10th of December to when I weighed in on 29th December. I'm down 2.5lbs from that now, so some of it was water retention. However I was out of the country for the holidays and had no access to a gym and had in laws cooking for me.... plus I decided to just let myself go and enjoy a rare trip home at Christmas.

I went straight back on to a deficit and was in the gym the day I got back home so it hasn't ruined me. Just a little break and now I'm back and as focused as ever.
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A lot of fluctuation but now that my eating has become more consistent I have gained 1lb. I overate but not excessively..