So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• BrianDavidBy32
    BrianDavidBy32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Okay - so I now understand why 5x5 vs p90x. But why HEAVY 5x5 via like an 8-12 rep circuit training program with weights at a gym. The typical ones certified trainers would put you on for weight loss?

I don't do a 5x5 program, I do a hypertrophy program which is 8-12 reps. It's not a circuit training program. Once again, they generally skip the compound lifts in favor of exercises that can be worked into a cardio type setting. Those programs aren't built to challenge the muscles in the way that hypertrophy or strength programs do, so lean mass retention is lower. They're also often the only types of programs trainers are allowed to do at bigger gyms. At this point I think you should look into hiring a private personal trainer or starting your own thread asking questions.

Thanks - sounds like personal training isn't the way to go because they are only allowed to do circuits at big gyms.

Will 5x5 be as effective as 8-12? What's the difference between a strength program or hyper trophy program? Which do you recommend for fat loss and why

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Okay - so I now understand why 5x5 vs p90x. But why HEAVY 5x5 via like an 8-12 rep circuit training program with weights at a gym. The typical ones certified trainers would put you on for weight loss?

I don't do a 5x5 program, I do a hypertrophy program which is 8-12 reps. It's not a circuit training program. Once again, they generally skip the compound lifts in favor of exercises that can be worked into a cardio type setting. Those programs aren't built to challenge the muscles in the way that hypertrophy or strength programs do, so lean mass retention is lower. They're also often the only types of programs trainers are allowed to do at bigger gyms. At this point I think you should look into hiring a private personal trainer or starting your own thread asking questions.

Thanks - sounds like personal training isn't the way to go because they are only allowed to do circuits at big gyms.

Will 5x5 be as effective as 8-12? What's the difference between a strength program or hyper trophy program? Which do you recommend for fat loss and why

Effective for what?

Ranges.jpg

The above chart is generalized because it does not take total volume into consideration, but gives a general overview.

OP recommends a calorie deficit and a program based on progressive overload, regardless if you're sticking with 5's or 8-12 range.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    427_Cobra wrote: »
    jensquish1 wrote: »
    What the heck... I must not know anything. I thought cardio was great for you and helps with the abs :-/ I love cardio. I do step twice a week and love to run. I'm just now trying to lose some more weight and build muscle. What's your take on pilates? I feel pretty lost right now. Lol derrrp!
    "There's more than one way to skin a cat" This thread is dedicated to what works for the OP. It shouldn't be confused as the ONLY way to get a nice stomach. << my $.02

You're correct that there is more than one way to do it, but most people who have successfully achieved and maintained a lean figure have included some type of resistance training. Depending on the type of pilates she does and the frequency, plus if she adds in any other type of resistance work it could help her maintain her lean mass. I outlined an efficient way of achieving a lean body. Others are free to try other ways.
  • usmcmp
    Options

5x5 programs give more strength than size. 8-12 increases size more than strength. Which one you should do would depend on your ultimate goals, how long you've been training for and ultimately which program you enjoy. The 5x5 programs get suggested to many beginners because they are afraid of getting "too big" and they need to improve their strength foundation before moving on to another program.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options

5x5 programs give more strength than size. 8-12 increases size more than strength. Which one you should do would depend on your ultimate goals, how long you've been training for and ultimately which program you enjoy. The 5x5 programs get suggested to many beginners because they are afraid of getting "too big" and they need to improve their strength foundation before moving on to another program.

Thanks - I'm only familiar to beginner 5x5s - strong lifts and ICF. What are recommended beginner programs in the 8-12 range the incorporate compounds?
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    427_Cobra wrote: »
    jensquish1 wrote: »
    What the heck... I must not know anything. I thought cardio was great for you and helps with the abs :-/ I love cardio. I do step twice a week and love to run. I'm just now trying to lose some more weight and build muscle. What's your take on pilates? I feel pretty lost right now. Lol derrrp!
    "There's more than one way to skin a cat" This thread is dedicated to what works for the OP. It shouldn't be confused as the ONLY way to get a nice stomach. << my $.02

The advice in the opening post is also very similar to an article on bodybuilding.com called "How to Lose Weight." For me this approach has been easier to sustain long term. It was never about the scale or how quickly I lost "weight" since I wanted to lose fat not just weight. I don't feel deprived since I didn't cut my calories super low & my knees don't hate me since (1) I've lost a lot of weight & (2) I didn't add any additional cardio in addition to the classes I teach. If you just lurve cardio then do it, but body shaping happens with the iron in your hands.

Give it a try. I don't mean for 2 weeks & decide this doesn't work & what you need to do is start training for a marathon instead or try lifting the 1# pink dumbbells & decide you aren't seeing results fast enough. Trust the process. One day you'll walk by a mirror & stop because you can't believe that's your reflection (even better when it happens when you're naked! haha)

My only issue with this whole post is that I didn't see it earlier (like years ago). Thanks @usmcmp!
  • usmcmp
    Options

Thanks - I'm only familiar to beginner 5x5s - strong lifts and ICF. What are recommended beginner programs in the 8-12 range the incorporate compounds?

I believe New Rules of Lifting is a good hypertrophy type program for beginners. I jumped into an intermediate program from bodybuilding.com when I started. New Rules of Lifting is going to answer a bunch of questions about lifting, which you seem to have a lot of.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options

I believe New Rules of Lifting is a good hypertrophy type program for beginners. I jumped into an intermediate program from bodybuilding.com when I started. New Rules of Lifting is going to answer a bunch of questions about lifting, which you seem to have a lot of.

Just trying to understand what is a recommended resistance training program for a goal of fat loss. There seems to be many. So just saying generic resistance training is not helpful.

• LolBroScience
    Options

Just trying to understand what is a recommended resistance training program for a goal of fat loss. There seems to be many. So just saying generic resistance training is not helpful.

She listed specific programs.

Pick a challenging program with progressive overload. Set up your diet in a manner that allows you to achieve fat loss without sacrificing a decrease in intensity or performance in the gym.
  • usmcmp
    Options

You can also google it. There are lots of articles out there as well as studies. It would probably be better for you to do your own research and determine what course of action you want to take. You'll find junk and you'll find good information. You'll have to sort through it, just like those of us who have answered your questions have done. You'll also have to experiment and find out what works for you, in both results and preference. LolBroScience follows strength programs and I follow hypertrophy, but we've both gotten results we are satisfied with. Don't let your questions get in the way of results. Pick something and put effort in.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options

You can also google it. There are lots of articles out there as well as studies. It would probably be better for you to do your own research and determine what course of action you want to take. You'll find junk and you'll find good information. You'll have to sort through it, just like those of us who have answered your questions have done. You'll also have to experiment and find out what works for you, in both results and preference. LolBroScience follows strength programs and I follow hypertrophy, but we've both gotten results we are satisfied with. Don't let your questions get in the way of results. Pick something and put effort in.

I'm picking ICF 5x5 and am doing it. However, I must have missed the specific recommended PROVEN beginner programs other than ICF and StrongLifts.

What are they? Thanks

• usmcmp
    Options

I'm picking ICF 5x5 and am doing it. However, I must have missed the specific recommended PROVEN beginner programs other than ICF and StrongLifts.

What are they? Thanks

Proven beginner programs? I can't give you PROVEN programs because there's no list out there. I have given many suggestions of programs that myself or others have done and gotten results with over the last 60 pages, but they only work if you do. I can tell you to follow a specific program, but if you don't put in the work or if it doesn't fit your goals then it doesn't work for you. I could follow LolBroScience's programming (proven to work for him) and not like the results. There are people who get results out of crappy programs because they put effort in or supplement when necessary. This is where you are going to have to start learning things on your own.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Sounds like 2 right there, with the addition of New Rules of Lifting - That makes 3.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Sounds like 2 right there, with the addition of New Rules of Lifting - That makes 3.

Yes - 2 of 3 are 5x5. Are there any other 8-12 programs other than new rules of lifting.
  • usmcmp
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Yes - 2 of 3 are 5x5. Are there any other 8-12 programs other than new rules of lifting.

How long have you been lifting? What are your stats for the big 3?
  • LolBroScience
    Options

What are they? Thanks

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 - AllPro

• BrianDavidBy32
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Thanks - I just started on 5x5 and enjoy it. It just seems that the way the authors intended these programs is for gaining muscle, not for losing fat. I just want to make sure doing a 5x5 makes sense when my main goal is fat loss and muscle preservation.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Thanks - I just started on 5x5 and enjoy it. It just seems that the way the authors intended these programs is for gaining muscle, not for losing fat. I just want to make sure doing a 5x5 makes sense when my main goal is fat loss and muscle preservation.

5x5 isn't a hypertrophy program so its main goal is for users to gain strength. (Of course there will be some hypertrophy, but that's not the focus...as it's been said/stated/shown repeated in previous posts) Also, the program is still good for muscle preservation but fat loss isn't going to be dictated by the program. That's going to end up depending on you eating at a deficit.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

What are they? Thanks

5x5 isn't a hypertrophy program so its main goal is for users to gain strength. (Of course there will be some hypertrophy, but that's not the focus...as it's been said/stated/shown repeated in previous posts) Also, the program is still good for muscle preservation but fat loss isn't going to be dictated by the program. That's going to end up depending on you eating at a deficit.

I'm eating in a deficit regardless and will be getting enough protein regardless. Want to make sure ICF 5x5 makes fine sense for a fat loss goal if I adhere to it
  • usmcmp
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

What are they? Thanks

I'm eating in a deficit regardless and will be getting enough protein regardless. Want to make sure ICF 5x5 makes fine sense for a fat loss goal if I adhere to it

ICF 5x5 makes sense for lean mass retention, especially if you are a beginner (you never answered my questions, so I am assuming you are a beginner).