So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• radam365
    radam365 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new and looking to lose my gut. I'm looking for easy exercises that can be done at home but Any help or advice would be welcome!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    radam365 wrote: »
    I'm new and looking to lose my gut. I'm looking for easy exercises that can be done at home but Any help or advice would be welcome!

There are lots of body weight things you can do. It's been suggested many times through this thread to use You Are Your Own Gym. I'm sure there are body weight programs online as well.
  • radam365
    Options
    Great! And thanks for the reply! What is you are your own gym? Is it a program, a site or a app?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    radam365 wrote: »
    Great! And thanks for the reply! What is you are your own gym? Is it a program, a site or a app?

It's a book. There is an app you can buy as well for it.

Nerdfitness.com also has a bodyweight program on its site available. Strong Curves is a book but has a few different programs, including a bodyweight one.
  • radam365
    Options
    I'm going to check it out! Thank you!
  • BrianDavidBy32
    BrianDavidBy32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Why do a heavy 5x5 training program versus like a p90x or an insanity? Why the preference for heavy weights if goal is fat loss?
  • CurvesCreations22
    CurvesCreations22 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I agree. P90x had a great combination of exercises. I started doing bootcamp at the gym very similar.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ETA - Redundant post.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Why do a heavy 5x5 training program versus like a p90x or an insanity? Why the preference for heavy weights if goal is fat loss?
    Newarski22 wrote: »
    I agree. P90x had a great combination of exercises. I started doing bootcamp at the gym very similar.

Because there is a much greater chance of LBM preservation. P90x and Insanity are cardio programs at heart.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Newarski22 wrote: »

Because there is a much greater chance of LBM preservation. P90x and Insanity are cardio programs at heart.

^This. Weight loss is about eating at a deficit and usually you want most of that loss to be fat, not muscle. So strength training would be preferred over a more cardio based routine like P90X because as Lol pointed out, strength training preserves more LBM while in a deficit.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    Isn't p90x best of both - strength PLUS cardio? That's why I'm confused.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

...Not strength in the sense we are talking about here
  • usmcmp
    Options

Because doing P90X misses out on all the benefits of compound lifts. You also only challenge the muscles for the first few weeks on programs that combine cardio with strength. They attempt to change it up and call it muscle confusion, but it contains no real progressive overload.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options

I did p90x for 10 years on a 5-7 day regiment. I didn't get much muscle definition or weight loss. I added more cardio, Zumba, body weight exercises and lost 38 lbs. But, when I started strong lift 5x5 March 2 2015 I gained 4 lbs and lost 17.5 inches. That's a difference!

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    I was doing 21-25 hours of cardio including p90x now i only do strong lift 5x5 every other day. For only 3-4 hours a week. When i was doing all the cardio I only ate 1200 calories now I eat whatever I want! 2000+.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    Okay - so I now understand why 5x5 vs p90x. But why HEAVY 5x5 via like an 8-12 rep circuit training program with weights at a gym. The typical ones certified trainers would put you on for weight loss?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Okay - so I now understand why 5x5 vs p90x. But why HEAVY 5x5 via like an 8-12 rep circuit training program with weights at a gym. The typical ones certified trainers would put you on for weight loss?

I don't do a 5x5 program, I do a hypertrophy program which is 8-12 reps. It's not a circuit training program. Once again, they generally skip the compound lifts in favor of exercises that can be worked into a cardio type setting. Those programs aren't built to challenge the muscles in the way that hypertrophy or strength programs do, so lean mass retention is lower. They're also often the only types of programs trainers are allowed to do at bigger gyms. At this point I think you should look into hiring a private personal trainer or starting your own thread asking questions.
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    What the heck... I must not know anything. I thought cardio was great for you and helps with the abs :-/ I love cardio. I do step twice a week and love to run. I'm just now trying to lose some more weight and build muscle. What's your take on pilates? I feel pretty lost right now. Lol derrrp!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    jensquish1 wrote: »
    What the heck... I must not know anything. I thought cardio was great for you and helps with the abs :-/ I love cardio. I do step twice a week and love to run. I'm just now trying to lose some more weight and build muscle. What's your take on pilates? I feel pretty lost right now. Lol derrrp!

Read the OP again
  • 427_Cobra
    427_Cobra Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jensquish1 wrote: »
    "There's more than one way to skin a cat" This thread is dedicated to what works for the OP. It shouldn't be confused as the ONLY way to get a nice stomach. << my $.02