So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    [/quote]I'm eating in a deficit regardless and will be getting enough protein regardless. Want to make sure ICF 5x5 makes fine sense for a fat loss goal if I adhere to it[/quote]

AllPro is designed for novices and can be used in a deficit. Lots of inform (FAQs) on this program and Fierce 5 on bobybuilding.com

• BrianDavidBy32
    BrianDavidBy32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Okay - so I now understand why 5x5 vs p90x. But why HEAVY 5x5 via like an 8-12 rep circuit training program with weights at a gym. The typical ones certified trainers would put you on for weight loss?

I don't do a 5x5 program, I do a hypertrophy program which is 8-12 reps. It's not a circuit training program. Once again, they generally skip the compound lifts in favor of exercises that can be worked into a cardio type setting. Those programs aren't built to challenge the muscles in the way that hypertrophy or strength programs do, so lean mass retention is lower. They're also often the only types of programs trainers are allowed to do at bigger gyms. At this point I think you should look into hiring a private personal trainer or starting your own thread asking questions.

Thanks - sounds like personal training isn't the way to go because they are only allowed to do circuits at big gyms.

Will 5x5 be as effective as 8-12? What's the difference between a strength program or hyper trophy program? Which do you recommend for fat loss and why

5x5 programs give more strength than size. 8-12 increases size more than strength. Which one you should do would depend on your ultimate goals, how long you've been training for and ultimately which program you enjoy. The 5x5 programs get suggested to many beginners because they are afraid of getting "too big" and they need to improve their strength foundation before moving on to another program.

Thanks - I'm only familiar to beginner 5x5s - strong lifts and ICF. What are recommended beginner programs in the 8-12 range the incorporate compounds?

I believe New Rules of Lifting is a good hypertrophy type program for beginners. I jumped into an intermediate program from bodybuilding.com when I started. New Rules of Lifting is going to answer a bunch of questions about lifting, which you seem to have a lot of.

Just trying to understand what is a recommended resistance training program for a goal of fat loss. There seems to be many. So just saying generic resistance training is not helpful.

You can also google it. There are lots of articles out there as well as studies. It would probably be better for you to do your own research and determine what course of action you want to take. You'll find junk and you'll find good information. You'll have to sort through it, just like those of us who have answered your questions have done. You'll also have to experiment and find out what works for you, in both results and preference. LolBroScience follows strength programs and I follow hypertrophy, but we've both gotten results we are satisfied with. Don't let your questions get in the way of results. Pick something and put effort in.

I'm picking ICF 5x5 and am doing it. However, I must have missed the specific recommended PROVEN beginner programs other than ICF and StrongLifts.

What are they? Thanks

Sounds like 2 right there, with the addition of New Rules of Lifting - That makes 3.

Yes - 2 of 3 are 5x5. Are there any other 8-12 programs other than new rules of lifting.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 - AllPro

Thanks - I just started on 5x5 and enjoy it. It just seems that the way the authors intended these programs is for gaining muscle, not for losing fat. I just want to make sure doing a 5x5 makes sense when my main goal is fat loss and muscle preservation.

5x5 isn't a hypertrophy program so its main goal is for users to gain strength. (Of course there will be some hypertrophy, but that's not the focus...as it's been said/stated/shown repeated in previous posts) Also, the program is still good for muscle preservation but fat loss isn't going to be dictated by the program. That's going to end up depending on you eating at a deficit.

I'm eating in a deficit regardless and will be getting enough protein regardless. Want to make sure ICF 5x5 makes fine sense for a fat loss goal if I adhere to it

ICF 5x5 makes sense for lean mass retention, especially if you are a beginner (you never answered my questions, so I am assuming you are a beginner).

I'm not sure if I'm a beginner. I've been lifting on and off for 12 years, inconsistent diet, etc.

Now on ICF5x5
    Bench - 155 5x5 - currently easy
    Deadlift - 185 1x5 - easy
    Squat - 155 5x5 - a little hard at end

I weigh about 188lbs, 5'9"
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Okay - so I now understand why 5x5 vs p90x. But why HEAVY 5x5 via like an 8-12 rep circuit training program with weights at a gym. The typical ones certified trainers would put you on for weight loss?

I don't do a 5x5 program, I do a hypertrophy program which is 8-12 reps. It's not a circuit training program. Once again, they generally skip the compound lifts in favor of exercises that can be worked into a cardio type setting. Those programs aren't built to challenge the muscles in the way that hypertrophy or strength programs do, so lean mass retention is lower. They're also often the only types of programs trainers are allowed to do at bigger gyms. At this point I think you should look into hiring a private personal trainer or starting your own thread asking questions.

Thanks - sounds like personal training isn't the way to go because they are only allowed to do circuits at big gyms.

Will 5x5 be as effective as 8-12? What's the difference between a strength program or hyper trophy program? Which do you recommend for fat loss and why

5x5 programs give more strength than size. 8-12 increases size more than strength. Which one you should do would depend on your ultimate goals, how long you've been training for and ultimately which program you enjoy. The 5x5 programs get suggested to many beginners because they are afraid of getting "too big" and they need to improve their strength foundation before moving on to another program.

Thanks - I'm only familiar to beginner 5x5s - strong lifts and ICF. What are recommended beginner programs in the 8-12 range the incorporate compounds?

I believe New Rules of Lifting is a good hypertrophy type program for beginners. I jumped into an intermediate program from bodybuilding.com when I started. New Rules of Lifting is going to answer a bunch of questions about lifting, which you seem to have a lot of.

Just trying to understand what is a recommended resistance training program for a goal of fat loss. There seems to be many. So just saying generic resistance training is not helpful.

You can also google it. There are lots of articles out there as well as studies. It would probably be better for you to do your own research and determine what course of action you want to take. You'll find junk and you'll find good information. You'll have to sort through it, just like those of us who have answered your questions have done. You'll also have to experiment and find out what works for you, in both results and preference. LolBroScience follows strength programs and I follow hypertrophy, but we've both gotten results we are satisfied with. Don't let your questions get in the way of results. Pick something and put effort in.

I'm picking ICF 5x5 and am doing it. However, I must have missed the specific recommended PROVEN beginner programs other than ICF and StrongLifts.

What are they? Thanks

Sounds like 2 right there, with the addition of New Rules of Lifting - That makes 3.

Yes - 2 of 3 are 5x5. Are there any other 8-12 programs other than new rules of lifting.

Thanks - I just started on 5x5 and enjoy it. It just seems that the way the authors intended these programs is for gaining muscle, not for losing fat. I just want to make sure doing a 5x5 makes sense when my main goal is fat loss and muscle preservation.

5x5 isn't a hypertrophy program so its main goal is for users to gain strength. (Of course there will be some hypertrophy, but that's not the focus...as it's been said/stated/shown repeated in previous posts) Also, the program is still good for muscle preservation but fat loss isn't going to be dictated by the program. That's going to end up depending on you eating at a deficit.

I'm eating in a deficit regardless and will be getting enough protein regardless. Want to make sure ICF 5x5 makes fine sense for a fat loss goal if I adhere to it

ICF 5x5 makes sense for lean mass retention, especially if you are a beginner (you never answered my questions, so I am assuming you are a beginner).

I'm not sure if I'm a beginner. I've been lifting on and off for 12 years, inconsistent diet, etc.

Now on ICF5x5

Your stats are still beginner stats. You should focus on a strength foundation before considering hypertrophy.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

Your stats are still beginner stats. You should focus on a strength foundation before considering hypertrophy.

What is the threshold to break out of beginner? Thanks
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ophidion wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.
    I think the OP's advice is solid and obviously understands moderation, and as cardio is :cardiovascular exercise. It is not a bad thing to implement. May not be your cup of tea (preference) for exercise but remember for people who are overweight or just starting, walking or taking the stairs could be considered cardio for them and a great place to start.

I think their point was ONLY an hour a week. I suppose for weight loss as long as you have a calorie deficit an hour a week is ok, but if you're really looking for a healthy lifestyle and to help avoid heart disease and many other medical issues you should be doing at least 20 minutes of cardio a day.
  • usmcmp
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

You've been lifting for significantly more years than me, but as a female I lift more than you. Your stats are in the untrained category. If you want results you need to quit with the on and off again thing. You need to commit to a program.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

I believe intermediate stats would have you at squat at 2xBW and bench 1.5xBW. Therefore you're still a beginner.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.
    I think the OP's advice is solid and obviously understands moderation, and as cardio is :cardiovascular exercise. It is not a bad thing to implement. May not be your cup of tea (preference) for exercise but remember for people who are overweight or just starting, walking or taking the stairs could be considered cardio for them and a great place to start.

I think their point was ONLY an hour a week. I suppose for weight loss as long as you have a calorie deficit an hour a week is ok, but if you're really looking for a healthy lifestyle and to help avoid heart disease and many other medical issues you should be doing at least 20 minutes of cardio a day.

No, that was not their point.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »

Resistance training improves heart health including VO2Max.
  • LolBroScience
    edited July 2015
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

I believe intermediate stats would have you at squat at 2xBW and bench 1.5xBW. Therefore you're still a beginner.

That's closer to advanced... That's pretty strong.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

You've been lifting for significantly more years than me, but as a female I lift more than you. Your stats are in the untrained category. If you want results you need to quit with the on and off again thing. You need to commit to a program.

Those are 1 rep maxes right? I gave 5x5 weights

• usmcmp
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

That's right, you did. They're still at the low end, especially squat and deadlift.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

Still you can use your max reps to give you your one rep max.

• BrianDavidBy32
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

That's right, you did. They're still at the low end, especially squat and deadlift.

Thanks. I will do 5x5. And switch to intermediate when I hit the intermediate weight 1rm thresholds right?
  • LolBroScience
    edited July 2015
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

Thanks. I will do 5x5. And switch to intermediate when I hit the intermediate weight 1rm thresholds right?

You should stick with linear as long as you can make linear progression; since it is fastest. Once you've exhausted linear, you can move on to a more periodized/intermediate routine.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

You should stick with linear as long as you can make linear progression; since it is fastest. Once you've exhausted linear, you can move on to a more periodized/intermediate routine.

I assume linear means more weight/progression EVERY workout? Is this expected when one is in a caloric deficit at a 1.5-2.0lbs/ week
  • LolBroScience
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

I assume linear means more weight/progression EVERY workout? Is this expected when one is in a caloric deficit at a 1.5-2.0lbs/ week

Yes. Depends on the program but some have you adding every session, others every week.

Too many other factors to take into consideration in order to answer that with 100% certainty. Everyone will respond differently.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options

What are they? Thanks

Now on ICF5x5

Yes. Depends on the program but some have you adding every session, others every week.

Too many other factors to take into consideration in order to answer that with 100% certainty. Everyone will respond differently.

Thanks - the main thing is that I wanted to make sure a 5x5 is appropriate if my goal is fat loss. Sounds like it is
  • VictoriaSnape
    VictoriaSnape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Bump