So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• BrianDavidBy32
    BrianDavidBy32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have about 40lbs of weight to lose.

However, for the first, let's say 20lbs of fat I have to lose - I'm interested in knowing if you think I would be a risk to lose lean body mass if I'm dropping 2lbs of fat per week vs. 1lb of fat per week. Now I know that I can't exactly predict my results - but I can choose to eat 9 calories per lb vs 11-12 calories per lb - which will LIKELY (not guaranteed) cause a faster drop. So besides the negative con of burn out, is there a risk of greater lean body mass at the initial, say 20 lbs of the 40 lb fat loss, to do so at a faster, more aggressive rate?

Please assume that I stay the same in my workout volume, intensity, protein requirements, etc. The only thing I'm toggling is my energy intake.

Thanks
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

However, for the first, let's say 20lbs of fat I have to lose - I'm interested in knowing if you think I would be a risk to lose lean body mass if I'm dropping 2lbs of fat per week vs. 1lb of fat per week. Now I know that I can't exactly predict my results - but I can choose to eat 9 calories per lb vs 11-12 calories per lb - which will LIKELY (not guaranteed) cause a faster drop. So besides the negative con of burn out, is there a risk of greater lean body mass at the initial, say 20 lbs of the 40 lb fat loss, to do so at a faster, more aggressive rate?

Please assume that I stay the same in my workout volume, intensity, protein requirements, etc. The only thing I'm toggling is my energy intake.

Thanks

I think it would be better if you started your own thread.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Thanks

I think it would be better if you started your own thread.

That's what I was just thinking too.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Lift three days a week and add abt 15 - 20 min cardio (w/hiit) after (so abt one hour cardio a week). Have lost 5.5% BF and 2.5" off my waist so far; still have a few to go. I didn't put it on over night and it's not going to go away over night; takes discipline and time (especially if you're older). B)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    usmcmp, may I ask out of curiousity-does your tummy look like it does in your profile picture at all times, when you are maintaining that weight? I ask because mine only has the little definition you see in my picture for about a week out of the month. Most of the time I look more round/bloated, which I'm sure is due to the fact that I eat high volume, high sodium, and have pretty intense fluctuations before and during my period. Anyway, just curious about your experience with that.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    usmcmp, may I ask out of curiousity-does your tummy look like it does in your profile picture at all times, when you are maintaining that weight? I ask because mine only has the little definition you see in my picture for about a week out of the month. Most of the time I look more round/bloated, which I'm sure is due to the fact that I eat high volume, high sodium, and have pretty intense fluctuations before and during my period. Anyway, just curious about your experience with that.

When I was at that body fat I look a bit softer during a certain week during the month, but my abs were still visible all of the time. I'm up to 26% current and just started cutting. Even at this body fat I have the outline of the top set and obliques simply due to the muscle volume of my abs. For someone who doesn't have a lot of volume in their abdominal muscles they may end up like you with visibility only when conditions are good.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

When I was at that body fat I look a bit softer during a certain week during the month, but my abs were still visible all of the time. I'm up to 26% current and just started cutting. Even at this body fat I have the outline of the top set and obliques simply due to the muscle volume of my abs. For someone who doesn't have a lot of volume in their abdominal muscles they may end up like you with visibility only when conditions are good.

Thank you. Your response actually really helps me in deciding my next goal.
  • rigby619
    rigby619 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is helpful! I tend to do cardio and not as many weights, will chance to see results. Great tips!
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi USMCMP,

I would like to know what program you did when you first started lifting and what program are you now?
  • libbymcg2
    libbymcg2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have problems with neck and shoulders caused by spondylitis which limits lifting pulling and other exercise. Any suggestions on how to achieve a flat stomach without using weights?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    dredremeg wrote: »
    Hi USMCMP,

I would like to know what program you did when you first started lifting and what program are you now?

I started with Lee Labrada's 12 week lean body trainer. It looked the most interesting to me and there were videos for all the exercises. I have done tons of programs in between including PHAT, 5x5, Up and Down Mass, and several personalized ones. I am currently doing a personalized version of HST.

I highly suggest most people start with a program that actually teaches them about lifting and helps build the strength base. Stronglifts and New Rules of Lifting get suggested often for good reasons.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    libbymcg2 wrote: »
    Have problems with neck and shoulders caused by spondylitis which limits lifting pulling and other exercise. Any suggestions on how to achieve a flat stomach without using weights?

There are body weight exercise programs out there that you can adapt to fit your needs. Resistance training in some form is important to developing a lean body/flat stomach.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    B, seems to be a lot of tummy fat questions today.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    rushfive wrote: »
    B, seems to be a lot of tummy fat questions today.

Those posts seem to come in waves. It's one of the reasons I created this thread, to be sort of a beginners reference point to avoid having to post some of the same stuff over and over again.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It is a great post usmcmp.
    I kept coming back to it so I could finish reading 60 pages...lol
    I know I need to lift more, injury excuse, but I liked the last few with using body weight to start and my phys. therapist gave me resistant bands.
  • romisa925
    romisa925 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How can I lose my stomach with exercise and how I eat
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    romisa925 wrote: »
    How can I lose my stomach with exercise and how I eat

it's a mystery
  • StephaniHepburn
    StephaniHepburn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Amazing info, you look great! Thanks for sharing your story and advice :) xxx
  • KhloeKakes
    KhloeKakes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    thanks for advice OP
  • banananiii
    banananiii Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!!

I just started doing stronglifts 5x5 based on the recommendation of the guy I'm dating (he's been doing it for a few months and we can see positive results). I follow the program religiously, meaning that I only do it every second day with rest days in between. I was wondering if I should squeeze in twenty minute runs on my off days? Will this hinder my progress?

Also, I noticed that my tummy has been a bit bigger since I started the program... Not sure if this is normal since I'm new at this, or if it is just bloating from the food I eat?

For reference, I'm 5'4 and around 130-133lbs. I'm relatively toned except for my stomach area