Need tips to lose weight

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I disagree do the research !!!

The burden of proof is on the person making the claim.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Okay... water...

For example, a person who weighs 150 pounds. Half that weight is 75 pounds.

Convert pounds to ounces.

75 pounds = 1,200 ounces

Which in cups would equal 150 cups of water a day.

NO! Do NOT drink 150 cups of water a day - that make no sense at all and will kill you.

I do beg to differ on that. It all depends on what you do with your body a day. If you're exercising and or lifting weights, you need that water. There are TONS of people and I have a few on my MFP page that do water checks throughout the day and they all sit at around 200 ounces BY NOON! I'm not saying you HAVE to do that, but that's what I've read just about everywhere that water is the most important thing to weight loss. And I speak from experience that drinking just water definitely helps you to lose weight. It replenishes what your body loses through work out and sweat of course. Your body needs water. The weight loss--sure you can eat a couple of slices of pizza a day and be under calories and still lose weight, but I tell you what, your body is going to feel drained so bad because you're not giving it what it NEEDS. It lives healthily off of a balanced diet.

75lbs of water is over 8 gallons of water. Be realistic here.
    '

I'm saying if you work out a lot and are strength training hardcore basically, then you would need to drink that much. You'll live and be merry on 8 cups of water a day, but more is better, but I agree, 8 gallons is unreal. Like I said before some people drink 10 times that.

No, it is literally unrealistic. No one drinks eight gallons of water per day. It is ridiculous, lol. You would die from it.

ETA: I DO workout a lot and strength train hardcore. I drink a few liters of water per day. Not gallons. Oh, and I work outside in Southern California. And sweat a lot.
  • deasiya
    deasiya Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    same thing goes for you. and i am not calorie deficient. i would not be able to exclusively breast feed my 20 lb 8 month old preemie
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    is that what you say to everyone when you dont know your research?? I'm giving my advice to the person who wanted it
  • deasiya
    Options
    i meant in oz not pounds
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    hey I just know what works for me and if people ask me wow you look great how did you do it I will tell them
  • wheird
    Options
    is that what you say to everyone when you dont know your research?? I'm giving my advice to the person who wanted it

I realize you are new here. But the way things work around here is if you make a claim and suggest it is backed up by science, you need to show the science. Otherwise it is bunk.

I HAVE done my research.
  • deasiya
    Options
    so itd be 75 oz not pounds of water
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, yvette. This is what you'll get: a lot of info, a lot of disagreement, a fair amount of snark. My best advice is find the people who seem good to you and make friends with them.
  • wheird
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, yvette. This is what you'll get: a lot of info, a lot of disagreement, a fair amount of snark. My best advice is find the people who seem good to you and make friends with them.

QFT. It is absolutely wonderful. :drinker:
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would start with sugar intake. I now use Stevia or try to have natural sugars from fruit. Stay away from fruit juices and soda. Good luck. This site is great. "Awareness precedes change.":flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Okay... water...

For example, a person who weighs 150 pounds. Half that weight is 75 pounds.

Convert pounds to ounces.

75 pounds = 1,200 ounces

Which in cups would equal 150 cups of water a day.

NO! Do NOT drink 150 cups of water a day - that make no sense at all and will kill you.

I do beg to differ on that. It all depends on what you do with your body a day. If you're exercising and or lifting weights, you need that water. There are TONS of people and I have a few on my MFP page that do water checks throughout the day and they all sit at around 200 ounces BY NOON! I'm not saying you HAVE to do that, but that's what I've read just about everywhere that water is the most important thing to weight loss. And I speak from experience that drinking just water definitely helps you to lose weight. It replenishes what your body loses through work out and sweat of course. Your body needs water. The weight loss--sure you can eat a couple of slices of pizza a day and be under calories and still lose weight, but I tell you what, your body is going to feel drained so bad because you're not giving it what it NEEDS. It lives healthily off of a balanced diet.

75lbs of water is over 8 gallons of water. Be realistic here.
    '

I'm saying if you work out a lot and are strength training hardcore basically, then you would need to drink that much. You'll live and be merry on 8 cups of water a day, but more is better, but I agree, 8 gallons is unreal. Like I said before some people drink 10 times that.

No, it is literally unrealistic. No one drinks eight gallons of water per day. It is ridiculous, lol. You would die from it.

ETA: I DO workout a lot and strength train hardcore. I drink a few liters of water per day. Not gallons. Oh, and I work outside in Southern California. And sweat a lot.

It's actually even more dangerous to drink a ton of water before strenuous exercise. Maintaining electrolyte balance while sweating hard is tough...so people who overhydrate before marathons (for instance) are at increased risk of hypoatremia.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    by the wat ie lost 46 pounds in 4 months doing this so you cant tell me it doesnt work

Did I read this correctly? You said 46 lbs in 4 months? Where you morbidly obese? Cuz thats rather unhealthy... I was just told by a morbidly obese lady last week that the longer your body takes to lose weight meaning at a 1-2 lb a week loss the more your body will maintain your goal weight...Meaning you wont put back on the weight
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

OP:
    Read this and all of the links in it.
  • jennegan1
    Options
    same thing goes for you. and i am not calorie deficient. i would not be able to exclusively breast feed my 20 lb 8 month old preemie

Oh just saw this now, your breast feeding thats why you lost so much so quickly
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    eating healthy is the best thing you can do for your health. you'll just put all the weight back on if you continue with old habits and eating unhealthy like pizza, and ice cream.. those dont do any good or your body

I totally agree! Yes it is a matter of having a calorie deficit, but you need to eat the right kinds of foods. I have had weeks where I eat totally healthy and have a good deficit (not going below 1200 calories) and loose a decent amount of weight ( 1-3lbs). I've also had weeks where yes I was within calories but I ate less healthy foods and found that I either didn't loose or lost less then 1 lbs. I find I feel better and can accomplish more at the gym and during the day on days where I ate healthy. Keeping the protein up is also a plus for building muscle.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    by the wat ie lost 46 pounds in 4 months doing this so you cant tell me it doesnt work

Did I read this correctly? You said 46 lbs in 4 months? Where you morbidly obese? Cuz thats rather unhealthy... I was just told by a morbidly obese lady last week that the longer your body takes to lose weight meaning at a 1-2 lb a week loss the more your body will maintain your goal weight...Meaning you wont put back on the weight

Yeah. Almost 3 pounds a week. However, I did the same thing on a 2800 calorie diet for the first 6 weeks. I called my doctor in a panic because I was worried that I'd rebound. Not that I gave up pizza and ice cream or added black beans to anything.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Oh just saw this now, your breast feeding thats why you lost so much so quickly

No, I'm breastfeeding a 20 month old, and it doesn't cause quick loss. Exclusively nursing burns about 300-500 calories per day, and the burn lessens as the baby gets older and starts on solid foods. So there is some burn, but you're supposed to eat that back to keep your supply up.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I am very glad you asked this question!!

You do not need to remove ANY foods from your diet at all!!!

Weight loss is all about calories in versus calories out. So long as you are eating below your maintenance calories, you will lose weight. Even if you eat pizza, cake, ice cream, soda, etc.

As far as workouts, I recommend starting a beginners strength program and doing cardio once or twice per week.

Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting
    Stronglifts 5x5

These are all good, beginner friendly programs that can get you started.

Cheers and best of luck to you! :drinker:
    This. I have ice cream everyday, or something similar, pizza, chips, fast food, and I've lost 126lbs in 16 months. You do not need to deprive yourself or make it complicated. Learning that you can have the foods you love in moderation is a great step to long term success and a key part of a sustainable lifestyle change.
  • jennegan1
    Options

Yeah. Almost 3 pounds a week. However, I did the same thing on a 2800 calorie diet for the first 6 weeks. I called my doctor in a panic because I was worried that I'd rebound. Not that I gave up pizza and ice cream or added black beans to anything.

Thats what Im afraid of also to rebound after I get to maintaining....Ive lost weight in the past but it was the unhealthy way aka ED....But when my sisters MIL told me this last week it made me feel more comfortable knowing this time around I should rebound. She also told me to have patience with losing weight