Need tips to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure drinking half your body weight in water is actually a recognised form of torture...
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    when did I say I owned the place when I just gave my OPINION based on my experience, !!! so since you been on the website for a while that means you know more then me even though I have been training for years!!!just because I' wasnt part of some forum I dont know what i'm talking about

It is not just because somebody has been on the forums for awhile, it is because they have listened to knowledgable people and learned new (and scientifically backed) information from reliable sources. This is the second thread that you have pounced in and made strong claims with no reputable sources to back it up, other than stating it as your opinion.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    seriously? your body is made up of 70 percent water. doctors recommendation is to drink that much look it up

bahahahahaha…I weigh 170 pounds…so that would be 65 pounds of water..there are 16 ounces in one pound so we are talking about 1040 ounces a day…which would be 130 8 ounce glasses….

if I did that I would be pissing for 24 hours non stop …hell I might start leaking water..

LOL

People are getting this wrong. You weight 170lbs. 170/2=85 You only need 85 ounces of water for your body. NOT POUNDS lol. That is only 10.625 CUPS your body needs a day.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    when did I say I owned the place when I just gave my OPINION based on my experience, !!! so since you been on the website for a while that means you know more then me even though I have been training for years!!!just because I' wasnt part of some forum I dont know what i'm talking about

I can assure you that the length of your tenure here has no bearing on you not knowing what you are talking about
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    eating healthy is the best thing you can do for your health. you'll just put all the weight back on if you continue with old habits and eating unhealthy like pizza, and ice cream.. those dont do any good or your body

My 60lbs+ loss begs to differ.
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    I'm deffinitely not eating a deficit, lol hahahaha all the weight training I do I would die, bahahaha,
  • saradord
    Options
    I'm glds you know me so well
  • geekprincess858
    Options
    Have a calorie deficit without starving yourself. Do strength training and cardio. Change up your exercises. Eat small, frequent meals. Stay hydrated. Get 7-8 hours of sleep. Use MyfitnessPal and record your food and activities. Set your goal into mini goals. Feel free to message me if you want to try some safe tips I have used in the past. Good luck!

And for the rest of you, let's keep it positive here and continue to help and encourage the original poster!!!! Xoxo
  • deasiya
    deasiya Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    thank you
  • saradord
    Options
    your right !!! I guess you know all!!!
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Have a calorie deficit without starving yourself. Do strength training and cardio. Change up your exercises. Eat small, frequent meals. Stay hydrated. Get 7-8 hours of sleep. Use MyfitnessPal and record your food and activities. Set your goal into mini goals. Feel free to message me if you want to try some safe tips I have used in the past. Good luck!

And for the rest of you, let's keep it positive here and continue to help and encourage the original poster!!!! Xoxo

Good luck cuz Im sure now people will pounce on you for saying to eat small frequent meals. Im not arguing here but I dont but if that works for then it works for you...We are all different and well all lose weight differently at different rates
  • saradord
    Options
    soo true , everyone is different and everyone has different life styles and body types, people come on here for advice not to be bashed,!!! Great advice thanx!!!!:smile::smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    oh and drink at least half your body weight in water!! super important. as far as exercises go walking is the best thing you can do for your body. you want to eat healthy first then do more exercising. 1 step at a time. plus eating good is 90% of weight only 10% is exercise

Please don't. That's roughly 6 GALLONS of water for even a small (100 pound) adult. You would be taking in about the maximum amount your kidneys can process in 24 hours, and unless you keep waking up every hour to pound down another quart, it's not going to be evenly distributed throughout the day, so you're going to be surpassing your kidney's capacity during the time you're awake--admittedly, maybe not by a really dangerous amount, but certainly unnecessary, and potentially dangerous if you end up consuming a lot of your daily 6 gallons (or 12 gallons, by this advice, if you weigh 200 lbs) in a relatively short period. Unless you're exercising in extremely hot weather, you would be drinking at least six times the amount of _total_ water you actually might need (which includes water in other beverages of any kind and water in your food, and a significant percentage of your food by weight is water, even food that seems solid and dry).

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11537&page=163
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see threads like this, where the OP only posted the original post and not again, I just imagine them logging back in, finding their thread and going:

9ee1cfb8a4fc259d6ead995189273b85f059c4773614283a94553ef7363dffc7.jpg
  • rachael1805
    rachael1805 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    OP, I like eating alot of food, so I choose low calorie foods so I can eat more- massive salads with lean protein, greek yoghurt, protein shakes, eggs are all staples in my diet, and they make me feel better than refined carbs like icecream and pizza. I like feeling good about the food I put in my body, so I do try to make good choices.
    I also think I can't control myself with things like cheese, icecream, pasta, so I try to limit them.
    That said, I am only starting out again so am really just learning myself.
    People say to eat what makes you feel good- nutrient dense food makes me feel good, so I try to eat that.
    For example, 1 slice of supreme pizza is worth around 250cals (a conservtive estimate?) and a big salad with tuna, avocado, heaps of veges, greens and lemon vinigarette is worth around the same- I'd prefer to eat the salad; it takes longer to eat, makes me feel good, fills me up more, less oily...
  • saradord
    Options
    ya I do know everything!!! hahahahahahah
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see threads like this, where the OP only posted the original post and not again, I just imagine them logging back in, finding their thread and going:

9ee1cfb8a4fc259d6ead995189273b85f059c4773614283a94553ef7363dffc7.jpg

So true!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just to offer some friendly advice. Could people press the quote button (not reply) beneath the post they are responding to? It's rather confusing otherwise. :flowerforyou:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Okay... water...

For example, a person who weighs 150 pounds. Half that weight is 75 pounds.

Convert pounds to ounces.

75 pounds = 1,200 ounces

Which in cups would equal 150 cups of water a day.

NO! Do NOT drink 150 cups of water a day - that make no sense at all and will kill you.

I do beg to differ on that. It all depends on what you do with your body a day. If you're exercising and or lifting weights, you need that water. There are TONS of people and I have a few on my MFP page that do water checks throughout the day and they all sit at around 200 ounces BY NOON! I'm not saying you HAVE to do that, but that's what I've read just about everywhere that water is the most important thing to weight loss. And I speak from experience that drinking just water definitely helps you to lose weight. It replenishes what your body loses through work out and sweat of course. Your body needs water. The weight loss--sure you can eat a couple of slices of pizza a day and be under calories and still lose weight, but I tell you what, your body is going to feel drained so bad because you're not giving it what it NEEDS. It lives healthily off of a balanced diet.

200 oz =/= 1200 oz

BIG difference.