Looking to add people on 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• Slim_strategy
    Options
    bah to all the people going it's unhealthy don't do it. it is NOT starvation mode and many people DO need to eat that low to lose.

if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you but getting preachy about it is not really helpful for those who it DOES work for.

I eat around 1200 calories a day too give or take 100 calories (but don't look at the last few weeks for examplesof that. I fell off hte wagon a few times this last month.) back to being good for hte next six months though.
    I am also on keto. it's slow going but going.

I am also petite.

Exactly, thank you . 1200 is what MFP recommended. If it was so unhealthy then it wouldn't be suggested. It is the minimum yes, but it's still within the range of healthy eating.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    You can add me. I get 1200 calories a day, but I will add that I usually eat my burned calories so I eat more than 1200 per day, but still stay under.

it's ok, I normally eat some of me exercise calories back too :)
  • love4learning
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day. I use green smoothies for breakfast and sometimes for lunch ... then eat a small supper. I'm trying to focus on adding as many healthy greens and a few fruits to my diet.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I"m on 1200 a day starting yesterday!
    Add me!

Have you ever considered that there might be a correlation between too much of a calorie deficit with
    About Me:
    I'm 35 and have done the yoyo dieting for years. I'm determined to make the best year and my weight loss is on the top of my list!!
    ?

I'm not saying that there is, because I don't know your unique circumstances, but it's worth considering...right?

Sometimes, the *right* thing to do is actually easier...but only if you give it a chance.

Winner winner, Chicken Dinner*

*will probably put you over 1200 calories

I eat 2000 calories and my weight has been very consistent. If I need to lose, I drop down to 1850-1900.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. MFP set my calorie need at 1200 - my doctor calculated it more like 900-1000 but I'm typically closer to 1200 or slightly over. (I'm petite and work at a sedentary job - so yes, my doctor calculated my calorie need correctly).
    no he didn't
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're looking for support, you can add me. I'm not here to argue with any naysayers. All I can vouch for is my own experiences. If you're healthy and comfortable eating 1,200 and it works for you, go for it. If you need to eat more, then go for that plan. To each their own.

I'm on 1,200/day and I'm not hungry or tired (I eat a lot of veggies and lean protein). I'm just a couple of pounds from my goal (I haven't updated my ticker lately, so that's incorrect), and I'm about to switch over and maintain. I don't consider myself "skinny fat" nor do I binge (I used to before starting this by trying weird fad diets. This is the first system I've tried that has worked and that I've maintained over months. In the past, I would give up within a couple of weeks).

Peace.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Yes, to each their own. However, 1200 cal/day is only a reccomendation at what you should eat at sedentary lifestyle. Are you going to eat 1200/day for the rest of your life? That would be very difficult to do. If it is working for you, then that can't be argued. However. I think it's smart to add a little disclaimer that just because MFP recommends it, doesn't make it right. There are a whole lot of people on this site and MFP take basic numbers. Until the OP or anyone else knows what their true number are (ie. TDEE) 1200 is an ok starting point. I think it's also smart to add a disclaimer that at 1200 a day you could very well get tired and hungry and lose nothing. This is overwhelming enough as it is, then you add in the lack of caloires and the potential for binge eating. It's a vicious circle. No one here has been arguing. Everyone has offered up helpful adivce to many new people who may not know any better.
  • Maggie032014
    Maggie032014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    add me pretty please.. I try to eat 1200 calories per day. I probably stick to it 90% of the time =)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    In reading all the responses, I guess my only question to OP would be this: Do you want to just lose weight or do you want to be healthy too?

If you want to be healthy too, then you need to look at a much larger picture. This is what that pictures looks like:

*eat at a healthy calorie deficit from your TDEE

*find something you love to do and then do it consistently

*weigh/measure/log every single bite of food/drink you consume

*get up and DO IT EVERY DAY

*most importantly - have patience and never quit

If you choose health, your body will reward you. Good luck.
  • Sammydc135
    Sammydc135 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i'm on 1200, granted some days aren't always my best, but could do with taking a tad more responsibility lol
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    anyone who is over 90lbs and on a 1200 cal diet block me sO I dont have to get drove crazy by people destroying there metablolisms and asking ? after ? why there not getting the results they want
  • iclark2012
    Options
    I'm struggling. I'm on 1200 a day, AND low carb. I need to be down to 165 from 185 by February (I'm at 180 now). Support would be appreciated.
  • AKGuidroz7
    AKGuidroz7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Add Me too! I'm a 1200 calorie a day girl! Looking for support and motivation also!
  • radiyanoor112
    radiyanoor112 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 as well. I find it not too bad to live on such a small number of calorie.
    The hardest for me is to live on only 24 grams of sugar. Do yours have such a low sugar goal?
    How do you manage it?
    I can't do artificial sugars as they make me bloat.:sad:
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Yes, to each their own. However, 1200 cal/day is only a reccomendation at what you should eat at sedentary lifestyle. Are you going to eat 1200/day for the rest of your life? That would be very difficult to do. If it is working for you, then that can't be argued. However. I think it's smart to add a little disclaimer that just because MFP recommends it, doesn't make it right. There are a whole lot of people on this site and MFP take basic numbers. Until the OP or anyone else knows what their true number are (ie. TDEE) 1200 is an ok starting point. I think it's also smart to add a disclaimer that at 1200 a day you could very well get tired and hungry and lose nothing. This is overwhelming enough as it is, then you add in the lack of caloires and the potential for binge eating. It's a vicious circle. No one here has been arguing. Everyone has offered up helpful adivce to many new people who may not know any better.

It's netting 1200 though. If you're sedentary then ideally you'd just eat the 1200 and net the 1200, if you're active and you're on 1200 then you eat back some of your exercise calories to avoid feeling any less tired than if you were sedentary . I lost a LOT of weight on 1200 over the course of a year, and I haven't gained any of it back. people who gain it back are people who drastically increase their intake or fall off the wagon, that's their responsibilty.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling. I'm on 1200 a day, AND low carb. I need to be down to 165 from 185 by February (I'm at 180 now). Support would be appreciated.
    I'm just curious why you *need* to lose 15 pounds in a month. Unless you're very, very, very short and you have a surgery scheduled and your weight is making it high-risk, I don't think there's a *need* to lose a given amount of weight in a set period of time. Typically that sort of situation does not lead to success.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day, was for a majority of last year , however I had a bad December + my will power sort of flopped.

often on here you'll see people say correlation =/= causation and most of the time that's absolutely true.

however, in this instance it is not. in this instance, causation is obvious.

if you eat too few calories for too long, you will eventually have an epic binge. it's as certain as death and taxes.

the solution is to eat more. lose more slowly and eat at a level that is sustainable indefinitely. that's how you avoid the binge and loss of willpower.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    bah to all the people going it's unhealthy don't do it. it is NOT starvation mode and many people DO need to eat that low to lose.

if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you but getting preachy about it is not really helpful for those who it DOES work for.

I eat around 1200 calories a day too give or take 100 calories (but don't look at the last few weeks for examplesof that. I fell off hte wagon a few times this last month.) back to being good for hte next six months though.
    I am also on keto. it's slow going but going.

I am also petite.

Exactly, thank you . 1200 is what MFP recommended. If it was so unhealthy then it wouldn't be suggested. It is the minimum yes, but it's still within the range of healthy eating.

this is one of the biggest and most critical of flaws with MFP.

I get in certain circumstances where 1200 fits for someone.... but for the most part, it is ridiculously low and starts to encourage people to develop an unhealthy relationship with their food.

I won't judge or criticize... would just encourage you to consider losing at a slower, more long term sustainable rate. Consider adjusting from a "drop 60 pounds by summer" goal (not sure if that was yours or another poster's) to a.. "change my lifestyle so that I can be healthy and fitter in 2014"

In any event, good luck!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day, was for a majority of last year , however I had a bad December + my will power sort of flopped.

often on here you'll see people say correlation =/= causation and most of the time that's absolutely true.

however, in this instance it is not. in this instance, causation is obvious.

if you eat too few calories for too long, you will eventually have an epic binge. it's as certain as death and taxes.

the solution is to eat more. lose more slowly and eat at a level that is sustainable indefinitely. that's how you avoid the binge and loss of willpower.

You are so much more eloquent than I am lol
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I dont judge