Looking to add people on 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• Slim_strategy
    Options
    Op's Boyfriend here, while i can understand some of the concerns brought on by people saying 1200 calories can cause issues such as tiredness changes with hormones or other health issues, i've been with her since she started this diet, and before that going on a year now, and i have not seen any negative impacts whatsoever, if there was she would not be doing it, but as far as i've seen, no binge eating, and health is overall great, i think tbh, it's a choice that works for someone then that is there right to do it. if she still eats meals, goes out for meals, and spoils herself like any normal person, then what is the problem here,

No problem here. Chances are she's eating more than 1200 anyway.

Yeah because I'd totally sign up to a calorie counting site + lie about what I log. Logic

LOL, no one said anything about lying. If you're inconsistent (which you have admitted) and you don't weigh and measure what you eat, chances are you're eating more than 1200. Also, you said you eat some of your exercise calories (which you are supposed to do, so good job) so you aren't really eating only 1200, you're eating more than that.

I'm out. Good luck with your goals.

I do consistently weigh and measure everything I eat :p I really meant netting 1200, I mention eating 1200 a lot because I don't tend to do a great amount of exercise anyway so this is the amount I often end up eating

And there you have it! You don't exercise a great amount anyway. You are 18 years old (nothing wrong with that) and promoting a 1200 cal/ day life style to people on here who are looking to lose weight and make life changes. This includes exercise. There are many new people here who are going to fail, sadly, becuase MFP says that 1200/day is good for them. They are going to exercise much harder than you probably due (according to your own admission) and they are going to be hungry, binge, and fall off. That is not healthy. I tried to point out earlier that 1200/day when you exercise often isn't enough. Perhaps it's your wording. Saying that you are looking to add people at 1200/day who don't exercise much would have been the better option.

that's why they eat back exercise calories lol. which I have said a million times already.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Op's Boyfriend here, while i can understand some of the concerns brought on by people saying 1200 calories can cause issues such as tiredness changes with hormones or other health issues, i've been with her since she started this diet, and before that going on a year now, and i have not seen any negative impacts whatsoever, if there was she would not be doing it, but as far as i've seen, no binge eating, and health is overall great, i think tbh, it's a choice that works for someone then that is there right to do it. if she still eats meals, goes out for meals, and spoils herself like any normal person, then what is the problem here,

Yeah because I'd totally sign up to a calorie counting site + lie about what I log. Logic

LOL, no one said anything about lying. If you're inconsistent (which you have admitted) and you don't weigh and measure what you eat, chances are you're eating more than 1200. Also, you said you eat some of your exercise calories (which you are supposed to do, so good job) so you aren't really eating only 1200, you're eating more than that.

I'm out. Good luck with your goals.

I do consistently weigh and measure everything I eat :p I really meant netting 1200, I mention eating 1200 a lot because I don't tend to do a great amount of exercise anyway so this is the amount I often end up eating

And there you have it! You don't exercise a great amount anyway. You are 18 years old (nothing wrong with that) and promoting a 1200 cal/ day life style to people on here who are looking to lose weight and make life changes. This includes exercise. There are many new people here who are going to fail, sadly, becuase MFP says that 1200/day is good for them. They are going to exercise much harder than you probably due (according to your own admission) and they are going to be hungry, binge, and fall off. That is not healthy. I tried to point out earlier that 1200/day when you exercise often isn't enough. Perhaps it's your wording. Saying that you are looking to add people at 1200/day who don't exercise much would have been the better option.

that's why they eat back exercise calories lol. which I have said a million times already.

You're missing my point. Even with eating back calories it's still not enough for some people. How much did you weigh coming into this. How much did you eat before? How active had you been before you started to log food? There are many factors to consider before jumping in and saying that 1200 is a good idea. You are young, gorgeous, and have a lot of life ahead of you. For some people this is a HUGE change. Going from a huge calorie intake to 1200/day can be damaging.
  • Sqeez1
    Sqeez1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am on 1200 a day and have just started.Add me if you like.i am gonna need support for sure.Am going to succeed this time.This app is so good.:happy:
  • linorang1
    Options
    I assume you all have a similar weight and activity level. If not, eating in a large deficit will cause much more problems than you'd expect. Such as loss of sex drive, metabolic damage and increased stress.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    Sooo many posters here, including OP saying that they "fell off the wagon" because they ate a 1200 calorie diet and aren't seeing the clear causation as being that 1200 isn't SUSTAINABLE!

OP, you said that people gain weight back because they end up "falling of the wagon" and eating too much later and that this is their responsibility. What you don't understand, probably because you are very very young, is that falling off the wagon and upping calories is caused by being on a diet that is unsustainable and damaging to your health over time. You have no idea what is going on inside your body regarding muscle loss, organ tissue loss, bone loss, hormone damage, etc. No idea. You've been at this such a short time (a year is not a long time btw) and you really don't know what the outcome of all this will be.

It is so like a teenager not to listen to more experienced people who are only chiming in because they don't want to see you, even being a stranger (a know-it-all stranger at that) damage yourself and drag all these new Year's Newbies down with you. Please do more research instead of blindly following MFP. So many people have gone down that route and learned the hard way. Check out Eat More 2 Lose Weight for starters.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Add me! I eat 1200 calories a day...

...for lunch.

+1

+2
  • miz4wagon
    Options
    im on 1200 a day, feel free to add me I need all the help I can get!! x
  • jodyellen99
    Options
    I just joined today and I am on 1200 per day too. I am looking for friends so please feel free to add me!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I dont judge

I don't think they are judging; they are trying to help. There are so many people starting now who would benefit from knowing they don't have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. Do some research and pick a more reasonable number that you can sustain.
  • leahrae720
    leahrae720 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am on 1200 - 1400 calories a day, and have also had a similar situation of falling off the wagon and gaining back some weight that I have lost. With my wedding coming up in September, I am starting fresh and looking for some friends and support along this journey. :)
  • linorang1
    Options
    How much do you weigh?, what is you TDEE?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Unless you are old (like me) or already at a relatively low weight (like me) you shouldn't be trying to net 1200. Even MFP gives me 1270 when I say I want to lose 0.5 lb per week. And I eat back my exercise calories (I use a FitBit).
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Sooo many posters here, including OP saying that they "fell off the wagon" because they ate a 1200 calorie diet and aren't seeing the clear causation as being that 1200 isn't SUSTAINABLE!

OP, you said that people gain weight back because they end up "falling of the wagon" and eating too much later and that this is their responsibility. What you don't understand, probably because you are very very young, is that falling off the wagon and upping calories is caused by being on a diet that is unsustainable and damaging to your health over time. You have no idea what is going on inside your body regarding muscle loss, organ tissue loss, bone loss, hormone damage, etc. No idea. You've been at this such a short time (a year is not a long time btw) and you really don't know what the outcome of all this will be.

It is so like a teenager not to listen to more experienced people who are only chiming in because they don't want to see you, even being a stranger (a know-it-all stranger at that) damage yourself and drag all these new Year's Newbies down with you. Please do more research instead of blindly following MFP. So many people have gone down that route and learned the hard way. Check out Eat More 2 Lose Weight for starters.

QFT
    You can eat at a deficit and lose weight in a healthy way without feeling hungry or "falling off the wagon". You can also eat at a healthy deficit and treat yourself on a meal or two per week and still lose weight. If you are "falling off the wagon" (binging), you are most likely eating at too large of a deficit. And if you are at a goal of 1200 net and some of those calories are alcohol, you have just identified a way to reduce your urge to binge. Replace the non-nutritional calories of alcohol with food. If you can't live without alcohol,then live with the calories being over and above your food net.

If you want to lose weight and be healthy over the long term, there is plenty of information and plenty of supportive people on this site that will help you do so. Figure out your TDEE and your BMR and that is where you should start to determine how many calories you should be netting.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I am also on 1200 a day, been doing it for a month and haven't seen any weight loss...am sticking to it though. The program told me 1200 is what i should be eating based on my sedentary job, but 1200 is so little I feel hungry most of the time. Guess that's the point, but it's hard! I could do with some support, please.

No. That's not the point. That sucks and leads to binges.

Bump up your calories until you are ravenous before your meals, sated after and "not hungry, but could eat something" between. That should get you to a point of losing between .5 and 1 pound a week and it will be EASY. Then, next year at this time, you'll be on this thread going "hey, there's a better way. Look at me!"
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    (I usually make this comment early in threads like these, but I think I overlooked it this time.)

Many people, understandably so, in a rush to reach their goal weight as quickly as possible (because this time they're serious), immediately go straight to the *fewest* calories possible without causing themselves immediate obvious damage.

It is far more optimal (IMHO), for many reasons, instead to find the *most* calories possible while still making satisfactory progress towards their goals. Reasons include more energy (which means more productive workouts and an overall better life), better long-term adherence, higher likelihood to reach minimum micro and macro goals, better body composition at goal (by reducing muscle loss), better flexibility to overcome plateaus/"sticking points", etc.

/PSA
  • Dawn810511
    Dawn810511 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day if ya wanna add me!
  • likitisplit
    Options

A lot of people sign up, eat too little, and binge. Then they either feel guilty and don't record it or don't remember everything they ate as their bodies for the calories they need.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    (I usually make this comment early in threads like these, but I think I overlooked it this time.)

Many people, understandably so, in a rush to reach their goal weight as quickly as possible (because this time they're serious), immediately go straight to the *fewest* calories possible without causing themselves immediate obvious damage.

It is far more optimal (IMHO), for many reasons, instead to find the *most* calories possible while still making satisfactory progress towards their goals. Reasons include more energy (which means more productive workouts and an overall better life), better long-term adherence, higher likelihood to reach minimum micro and macro goals, better body composition at goal (by reducing muscle loss), better flexibility to overcome plateaus/"sticking points", etc.

/PSA

^^^This.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I was going to save my 1,000th post for something grand... then I saw this thread.

yzTe2.gif

350x700px-LL-d6fd7b5f_29403-Ron-Swanson-throw-out-computer-fFkQ.gif
  • samanthagreen3
    samanthagreen3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've had to reduce down to 1200 because of changing my job, from running round on my feet all day to sitting behind a desk! Finding it really hard to feel full! Love to share ideas! Add me! Xx