Looking to add people on 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• camo640
    Options
    I've just started back on here and I'm recommended 1200. I need support and friends too so add me please :happy:
  • Buck_Commander
    Options
    Add me :) im starting on 1200 a day tomorrow :)

I read..."im STARVING on 1200 a day....."
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    No thanks.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I've just started back on here and I'm recommended 1200. I need support and friends too so add me please :happy:

anybody who gets a 1200 calorie recommendation from MFP should treat that as a red flag.

what it means is that you've likely set your weight loss goal too aggressively for the amount of weight you have to lose.

either choose a slower weight loss rate OR add cardio exercise every day and eat back those cardio calories. that's the fix.

but virtually nobody should be grossing only 1200 calories a day. that sort of intake for any length of time will cause all sorts of hormonal and nutritional problems for the typical dieter.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Yes, to each their own. However, 1200 cal/day is only a reccomendation at what you should eat at sedentary lifestyle. Are you going to eat 1200/day for the rest of your life? That would be very difficult to do. If it is working for you, then that can't be argued. However. I think it's smart to add a little disclaimer that just because MFP recommends it, doesn't make it right. There are a whole lot of people on this site and MFP take basic numbers. Until the OP or anyone else knows what their true number are (ie. TDEE) 1200 is an ok starting point. I think it's also smart to add a disclaimer that at 1200 a day you could very well get tired and hungry and lose nothing. This is overwhelming enough as it is, then you add in the lack of caloires and the potential for binge eating. It's a vicious circle. No one here has been arguing. Everyone has offered up helpful adivce to many new people who may not know any better.

It's netting 1200 though. If you're sedentary then ideally you'd just eat the 1200 and net the 1200, if you're active and you're on 1200 then you eat back some of your exercise calories to avoid feeling any less tired than if you were sedentary . I lost a LOT of weight on 1200 over the course of a year, and I haven't gained any of it back. people who gain it back are people who drastically increase their intake or fall off the wagon, that's their responsibilty.

You only just started to conistantly log in November. Before that in October, you weren't consistant and a lot of what you had was alcohol. How do you know you losy a lot over the course of a year at 1200/day when you haven't been logging that for a year. I can't say I am 100% consistant all the time, but how can you prove that 1200/day is effecitve when you don't know if that's really what you've been doing?
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    What are your BMR and TDEE numbers? Whatever your calorie goal is should not be determined before you know that information.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day, was for a majority of last year , however I had a bad December + my will power sort of flopped.
    Trying to get back into the swing of things, quite hard but would feel better if I had friends who consistently eat 1200 a day so I can stay motivated and get ideas :D

I don't usually open my diet, but you can add me if you like. Once the cold weather clears, I'm planning on resuming, in fact, for a short period, I will be well doing a Protein Sparing Modified Fast.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Last few days Iv'e been doing this.

Me too!! :noway:
  • Candy969
    Candy969 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and could do with some motivation
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm on 1200 a day, but I'm afraid I sometimes skip meals to make room for liquor so ... um ... not a good role model.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Yes, to each their own. However, 1200 cal/day is only a reccomendation at what you should eat at sedentary lifestyle. Are you going to eat 1200/day for the rest of your life? That would be very difficult to do. If it is working for you, then that can't be argued. However. I think it's smart to add a little disclaimer that just because MFP recommends it, doesn't make it right. There are a whole lot of people on this site and MFP take basic numbers. Until the OP or anyone else knows what their true number are (ie. TDEE) 1200 is an ok starting point. I think it's also smart to add a disclaimer that at 1200 a day you could very well get tired and hungry and lose nothing. This is overwhelming enough as it is, then you add in the lack of caloires and the potential for binge eating. It's a vicious circle. No one here has been arguing. Everyone has offered up helpful adivce to many new people who may not know any better.

It's netting 1200 though. If you're sedentary then ideally you'd just eat the 1200 and net the 1200, if you're active and you're on 1200 then you eat back some of your exercise calories to avoid feeling any less tired than if you were sedentary . I lost a LOT of weight on 1200 over the course of a year, and I haven't gained any of it back. people who gain it back are people who drastically increase their intake or fall off the wagon, that's their responsibilty.

You only just started to conistantly log in November. Before that in October, you weren't consistant and a lot of what you had was alcohol. How do you know you losy a lot over the course of a year at 1200/day when you haven't been logging that for a year. I can't say I am 100% consistant all the time, but how can you prove that 1200/day is effecitve when you don't know if that's really what you've been doing?

A Majority of my year then jeez. Ok Ocotober was a rough month for me but I started in JANUARY , that's still a lot of months, and a lot of lost weight, yes some times I was inconsistent, a majority of my weight loss was on 1200, I clearly stated that. I have been on other calorie amounts but only for the span of a few weeks, I've tried 1400, 1500, 1000, the works. Ok 1200 is what I feel comfortable with, it's what I felt best on and what I lost weight CONSISTENTLY on.
    And I didn't use mfp the entire year, I used a different calorie counting site so I'm sorry if you can't peep all the way back to January :) I haven't gained any of it back, I actually enjoy doing 1200 a day ! xD seems like a lot of other people do as well. just because some people say they're starving or they can't handle it, doesn't mean I can't or other people can't. I never feel tired or fatigued. :)

Mfp also says that me doing 1200 a day will result in a 0.9lb loss a week for me. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.
  • glendathurmond
    glendathurmond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My daily allotment is 1290, but I usually have 200 to 300 left over each day. Add me if you wish, we can share some recipes or ideas if you like.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Well, I'm on 1200 a day, but I'm afraid I sometimes skip meals to make room for liquor so ... um ... not a good role model.

sometimes I do too :p gotta have room for booze every now and again , Carpe diem!
  • BrendaAnneKreller
    Options
    Hey I'm willing to be your fitness buddy. I am on the 1200 calorie
  • bonmomi
    bonmomi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Would love to be added! I'm on a Dr. ordered 1200 calories a day since Nov. 20 of 2013. I'm down 13lbs. and currently hit a plateau.
  • mmartinez_az
    Options
    add me i do 1200
  • Kixshots
    Kixshots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Op's Boyfriend here, while i can understand some of the concerns brought on by people saying 1200 calories can cause issues such as tiredness changes with hormones or other health issues, i've been with her since she started this diet, and before that going on a year now, and i have not seen any negative impacts whatsoever, if there was she would not be doing it, but as far as i've seen, no binge eating, and health is overall great, i think tbh, it's a choice that works for someone then that is there right to do it. if she still eats meals, goes out for meals, and spoils herself like any normal person, then what is the problem here,
  • graciiekim
    graciiekim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    on 1200 cal/day also!
  • _nadddy
    _nadddy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone i eat 1,200 a day looking for people to add but dont know how add me?
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Op's Boyfriend here, while i can understand some of the concerns brought on by people saying 1200 calories can cause issues such as tiredness changes with hormones or other health issues, i've been with her since she started this diet, and before that going on a year now, and i have not seen any negative impacts whatsoever, if there was she would not be doing it, but as far as i've seen, no binge eating, and health is overall great, i think tbh, it's a choice that works for someone then that is there right to do it. if she still eats meals, goes out for meals, and spoils herself like any normal person, then what is the problem here,

Cheers babe :p