Your calorie sob story

Options
15678911»

Replies

• Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia.

Nah, I'm full of sh*bleep*. I totally read the label on both pints the whole while I was emptying them.

edit: In all seriousness, I was appalled to see the caloric values of some stuff at Chilis shortly after I started paying attention to what I was putting in my face.

Haha that so made me laugh, it's something I would do :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh man where do I start ? :laugh:

Pretty much any restaurant food. I think my typical Applebee's lunch was probably 3000 calories. Now I order off the 'healthy' menu and have a small dessert once in a while (but it's oh so tiny and so sad and still close to 400 calories). Wings and dessert are definitely the worst offenders though.

Any coffee drink.

'Galette des Rois' or King Cake, the kind we have in the North of France (basically puff pastry with almond paste). I made one a week ago. Ate probably less than I usually did, and it was still 1000 calories worth (and totally worth it - I'm definitely not making another one anytime soon). The whole thing was 3600 whopping calories. I could still eat the whole thing probably though. It's my favorite thing ever.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I wasn't expecting the ribeye I ate the other day to be 1,200 calories but I don't know that I've ever been shocked by the calorie count of something. Maybe back in the very beginning when I was still trying fit in things like pasta, bread and treats? I don't remember now.

I log my food before I eat it unless it's junk food but then I expect it to be high and since I only indulge occasionally I don't care about the calories. If it's real food -- like that ribeye -- I just naturally eat less later and it all works out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there's no nutrition info so you order it, then you break down what you're eating... and find yourself eating a 800+ calories sandwich. I ordered some lemon chicken sandwich once, and honestly did not even touch it when it arrived. I don't know what I expected, but not some crispy fried chicken in a roll covered in butter.

The worst for me once I started logging was some meal from Unos, some chicken with spinach that was in the 'healthy' menu, when I ordered it I said I wanted it with broccoli, and the guy said 'oh it comes as a dish, with pasta'. Ok... Saw the dish and figured there was no way it was the advertized 500 calories, only ate half, found out later the whole dish was 1350 calories. I was pissed, because it turns out you don't have to order the whole dish and can have it with broccoli (and then it's the right amount of calories).

Then there's that time I was starving and we went to Maggiano's Little Italy and couldn't find the nutrition info anywhere, and nothing looked healthier than the rest, so I ordered the lasagna... turns out it was 1100 calories. I had dessert too but was shocked that was only 350 calories.
  • rostraqueen
    Options
    Nuts and seeds... also olive oil, but then it is pure fat, so I guess it makes sense.
    Asked my GP about carbs and she said no more than a quarter of your plate, which is definitely less than you get in most restaurants and less than what most people give themselves probably, especially with things where pasta is the main ingredient.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    No calorie sob story here but THE SODIUM CONTENT IN FOODS IS AMAZINGLY HIGH !!!

^^^ THIS!

I am constantly shocked by how stuffed with sodium most food, especially restaurant food is. I can exercise to eat more calories and cut back on other days after a high day, but what do I do when my sodium hits 5k because I had to eat at restaurants twice in one day? I can't walk that off. :(

I hate it and the food tastes too salty anyway.
  • binniesmart
    Options
    I am regularly shocked about him many calories can be in a single slice of bread! I tend to only have it on a weekend/cheat day so I can enjoy it without feeling too deprived in other meals....
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am regularly shocked about him many calories can be in a single slice of bread! I tend to only have it on a weekend/cheat day so I can enjoy it without feeling too deprived in other meals....

Wow...what kind of bread are you eating? lol The bread I get is only 70 a slice lol.
  • binniesmart
    Options

Wow...what kind of bread are you eating? lol The bread I get is only 70 a slice lol.

Yes, Weightwatchers/nimble/thin sliced bread can be approx 70 calls. Any breads with seeds or wholemeal or artisan can be around 150 per slice, sometimes more! That means 300 calories in bread for a sandwich before you even add fillings! I have pet hate of all things marketed as low fat/calorie controlled, and I don't have much to lose, so I try and eat good but less, or have the things I enjoy but exercise more. Lifestyle change rather than diet...
  • Youretheoneformefatty100
    Options
    Jack in the Box Egg Nog Shake of 24 oz contains 1210 calories.
    OMG This should be illegal!!!
  • caseypaige84
    caseypaige84 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad = 1290 calories. Thought I was choosing a healthier option. Wrong!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Yes, Weightwatchers/nimble/thin sliced bread can be approx 70 calls. Any breads with seeds or wholemeal or artisan can be around 150 per slice, sometimes more! That means 300 calories in bread for a sandwich before you even add fillings! I have pet hate of all things marketed as low fat/calorie controlled, and I don't have much to lose, so I try and eat good but less, or have the things I enjoy but exercise more. Lifestyle change rather than diet...

Nature's Own Honey Oat is 70 calories per slice and isn't "Weightwatchers/nimble/thin sliced bread"...and has oatmeal topping.

ETA....I don't diet either.
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Movie theatre popcorn, large with butter is over 1000 calories, the small is 600 calories! The cheesy nachos are a better choice, who would have thought.

Now I just pop my own, still around 350 cal for a small bag :(
  • binniesmart
    Options

Nature's Own Honey Oat is 70 calories per slice and isn't "Weightwatchers/nimble/thin sliced bread"...and has oatmeal topping.

ETA....I don't diet either.

Ah, don't think this is available in the UK.... Shame. I shall endeavour to seek out more acceptable cals-per-slice bread
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Lidl bakery, the small wholegrain multi-seed roll is over 200 calories per roll! :(
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want to diet, I want to change my lifestyle, I once planned to have some pie at Perkins and I messed around with some options before heading out. There was a slice I could have for 500 calories, so I decided on that, planned everything around it, waited all day, and then ordered some that night. All I had done was look on the Perkins website for the nutritional information, so when I got back home to log it on MFP, I did a double take and had to search through all of the results from my search because previous MFPers said this particular slice of pie was 980 calories! I checked it against the website. It was true. I had transposed the numbers from the 500 calorie slice of pie onto the 980 calorie slice by accident, consuming nearly double the calories in one sitting. Oops!
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I went to Panera this last week and decided to treat myself without checking MFP first. Vanilla Cupcake = 450 calories. The sad thing is that it was very small. :(