Eat McDonald's, lose wight, set terrible example

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    TIL: Rounding is propaganda. Elementary school math is degrading society.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It doesn't paint that picture at all, if you take time to watch the video or read the story accompanying the headline. If you get all your news just from reading headlines, you aren't getting much information and you'll often jump to the wrong conclusion. How is it propaganda?

On MSNBC news, the title stated verbatim "MAN LOSES 40 LBS EATING MCDONALDS" to get people to watch it. Then watching the segment on the news, they state he lost 37 lbs... being NEARLY 40 lbs, even though the title stated he lost 40 lbs. Then you learn he had pre-planned meals that didn't involve big macs, fries, and the rest of the staple of what makes McDonald's... McDonald's. THEN they add in he incorporated 40+ min of walking per day. Take all of that and look at the title again...

Mind you: if you or myself did this exact thing, we would not end up on national television. The man was paid to do this by McDonald's like Jarred was for Subway. Despite the class project being fun, I'm sure the money incentive made it all the easier... but the news didn't (and won't) cover that part in their story. Thus, business propaganda.

I don't know how else to explain my thoughts to make you understand my take on it.

Wow. Just wow. The headline gets people to watch /read the story, and then they get more information about the story so they know he didn't just eat Big Macs, and did some walking on the side? Who cares what the title said? it's only designed to get you to check out the story, that's it's job. The story itself is what gives you the information. And it doesn't say he was paid to do it, it says he was provided the food for free so he could prove his point and teach the lesson.
    I don't know how else to explain to you that you shouldn't take the headline at face value and think that you get enough information from it to draw a conclusion.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Watched the video, I find it fascinating and actually quite educational for the students involved. First he is showing kids how to track their calories and nutrients in a fun interactive and experiential way. This will have a long term effect on students, that is a win. But he is also teaching about personal responsibility meaning if you eat McDonalds everyday and take great care to eat appropriately you may even lose weight. He is showing his students that they need to really think about what they are putting in their mouth and that it is their choice (much of the time). I do not think eating McDonalds everyday or drinking huge quantities of diet soda is good, but that is not what this is about really. The bigger lesson, one that I really wish I was taught early on in a way that I would understand is that we choose the calories that go into our body and they have to be less than what we are burning in order to lose weight. I would be interested to see what his menu was on a daily basis, however the kids have to have worked hard with not only mathematics (to have calories in check), nutrients and it sounds as if they worked together to make the "diet" happen which team work is great for life skills. I applaud the teacher for finding something his kids were interested in and to get children involved in their education. They will now know how to track their calories for the rest of their life and think about what goes in their mouth...I see it as a win.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    716542394.jpg?365
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    Gluten free: 2.6 billion dollar section of business and growing. Fastest growing section of the food market currently, actually:)

6% of the population HAS to eat gluten free related to celiac and/or gluten sensitivity.

An estimated 4% chooses to eat gluten free for health benefits.

10%. That's a pretty big chunk of us:)
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's the hundred or so calories he burned by walking that made the huge difference. I'll even be nice and give you 200. 200 calories x 90 days = 18000/3500= a touch over 5 pounds.

Yeah. That made all the difference.

An the fact the meals were pre planned/works out to fit a certain goal is the whole point. He made informed choices. Is it propaganda if it's the actual point?

43691671.jpg

The guy was obese. He starts some form of exercise that he's never done before... so the formula goes out the window because we don't actually know how much he IS burning.

As far as pre-planned meals, I honestly think the title should read "MAN LOSES NEARLY 40 LBS AFTER SOME EXERCISE AND SOME FREE SALADS & SMALL *kitten* BURRITOS FROM MCDONALD'S".
    Wow. Just wow. The headline gets people to watch /read the story

Yes, this is how propaganda usually works... so stop before you hurt yourself.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Gluten free: 2.6 billion dollar section of business and growing. Fastest growing section of the food market currently, actually:)

6% of the population HAS to eat gluten free related to celiac and/or gluten sensitivity.

Not enough for McDonalds to consider catering to you cost effective though.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm not bothered by it but it does prove your body has no idea if a calorie is healthy (broccoli) or unhealthy (most restaurant food). If you eat more calories then you need you gain weight no matter where they came from. Unfortunately, if he is genetically predisposed to high cholesterol or high blood pressure the salt and cholesterol in most restaurant foods will place him at high risk for serious health issues later on even though he has lost weight and adopted an exercise routine.

All said and done he's a pretty amazing teacher to engage his students in this way. Perhaps the next class project is healthier choices?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Most ironic pic ever.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Stop what? Saying people should read the story before believing the headlines? Who does that? And if you do, you deserve the life your ignorance earns you.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's the hundred or so calories he burned by walking that made the huge difference. I'll even be nice and give you 200. 200 calories x 90 days = 18000/3500= a touch over 5 pounds.

An the fact the meals were pre planned/works out to fit a certain goal is the whole point. He made informed choices. Is it propaganda if it's the actual point?

43691671.jpg

The guy was obese. He starts some form of exercise that he's never done before... so the formula goes out the window because we don't actually know how much he IS burning.

As far as pre-planned meals, I honestly think the title should read "MAN LOSES NEARLY 40 LBS AFTER SOME EXERCISE AND SOME FREE SALADS & SMALL *kitten* BURRITOS FROM MCDONALD'S".

Walking is vastly overrated as exercise in terms of caloric usage. She's being very optimistic with her calorie amount.

You also realize that for the math to work, he'd have to burn around 1600 calories in each walk, right?
  • Achrya
    Options

43691671.jpg

As it turns out there are formulas and projections for calorie burns in obese and unfit individuals. This guy? Not the first person to start walking at 300 pounds. It's not new or unobserved or some crazy novel concept. So. Please. Refer to above formula again.

And that's not what he ate though. Your title is even more inaccurate than what we have. Propaganda!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    There are people who just DON'T want to believe that fast food places can actually have food that people can lose weight on. Or increase health markers with the weight loss. Or not get fat on.

Lovin' the haters.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Out of the 7 billion people on this planet, not really. And it's estimated up to 6% has a sensitivity. They don't HAVE to eat glutten free, either. Sensitivity can be as mild as a burp.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Walking is vastly overrated as exercise in terms of caloric usage. She's being very optimistic with her calorie amount.

You also realize that for the math to work, he'd have to burn around 1600 calories in each walk, right?

This is so tragically true. My fitbit says I average 10k steps a day and without additional exercise that gives me a whole 2020 TDEE. All that walking and I earn the right to eat like a normal person. Yay.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    So much stretching in here. Getting people to read an article is not propaganda. Evidence and information is actually propaganda's kryptonite (sorry, watched Superman last night).

Also, I eat at McDonalds once a week and have never had a Big Mac.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    no he made healthy choice at mcdonalds and lost weight . showing changes to your diet work and you don't need to only eat veggies and health food to lose. I eat clean most of the time but every once in awhile like not cooking or prepping food so I eat at a fast food establishment .I still lose weight its all about balance and moderation. I use to get two sandwiches ,fries and drink at mcdonalds which would have been well over 1000 calories now I get a grilled sweet chili chicken wrap its under 400 calories and super yummy!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    On MSNBC news, the title stated verbatim "MAN LOSES 40 LBS EATING MCDONALDS" to get people to watch it. Then watching the segment on the news, they state he lost 37 lbs... being NEARLY 40 lbs, even though the title stated he lost 40 lbs. Then you learn he had pre-planned meals that didn't involve big macs, fries, and the rest of the staple of what makes McDonald's... McDonald's. THEN they add in he incorporated 40+ min of walking per day. Take all of that and look at the title again...

Mind you: if you or myself did this exact thing, we would not end up on national television. The man was paid to do this by McDonald's like Jarred was for Subway. Despite the class project being fun, I'm sure the money incentive made it all the easier... but the news didn't (and won't) cover that part in their story. Thus, business propaganda.

I don't know how else to explain my thoughts to make you understand my take on it.

Either:

a) The news did cover it, and that's why you know it. Which means you're full of it.

or

b) You're just making stuff up. Which means you're full of it.

Which is it?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

It's the fastest growing mostly because it started so small. It's easy to show a huge spike in the growth percentage when the base numbers are relatively small, because that's the way basic statistical analysis works.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I am bothered by this IN THE EXTREME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!