Dr Oz 2 Week Weight Loss

Options
1113cw
1113cw Posts: 830 Member
I love Dr. Oz and of course, I was interested in his 2 week weight loss plan. But I have to say I'm disappointed. His health advice is usually pretty sound .

This plan cuts out basically all sugar (including alcohol), all carbs (except allowing for a small amount of brown rice each day), all caffeine, all dairy (except for a small amount of unsweetened, low fat greek yogurt each day), red meat and high glycemic veggies. He touts it as a 2 week plan but what happens after 2 weeks when you go back to eating normally. He also says you can use it as an every day meal plan, beyond the 2 weeks. I honestly don't think this is sustainable for the long run, it's just not realistic in my opinion.

Opinions?

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/dr-ozs-two-week-rapid-weight-loss-diet

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be to stop listening to anything Dr Oz says, he is a sell-out, tv quack and doesn't know a damn thing about nutrition. He says what will make him $$.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Most of what Dr. Oz says is crap. He touts fad diets, and spouts BS to lure housewives with a little too much money to buy stuff from his sponsors.

In short, eat under your calorie goal for the day. Literally all that matters for weight loss.

ETA: I would sooner take advice from Doc Ock or Doctor Doom.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    I like Dr. Oz myself but have never followed any TV shows weight loss diets because they are fads and not meant to be a lifestyle change. You should just limit the unhealthy foods and eat more of the healthy foods to lose weight :)
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    dont listen to him he is crazy
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    my advice would be to use that hour to work out instead of watching Dr. Oz.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be to stop listening to anything Dr Oz says, he is a sell-out, tv quack and doesn't know a damn thing about nutrition. He says what will make him $$.

THIS^^^^^
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz gets indirectly paid to advertise for a variety of products and companies. He's not a "quack" he's a sell out and I wouldn't take his advice if someone paid me to do it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

This
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of Dr. Oz because on almost every show he has some sort of weight loss gimmick. I say don't do it. Sure you'll lose weight but once you start eating again the weight will return.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Oz

Opinions?

incoming-duck.gif?w=560
  • desireebeam
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but something doesn't seem quite right. It sounds like it is a "system shock" or some method of tricking your body into weight loss. Too risky, if you ask me. I've been using MFP since September 2013 (and have lost 25 pounds) just by logging in my food and exercise. The only changes I made to my lifestyle included adding daily exercises, and watching what I eat. Dr.Oz's plan seems to unrealistic for our everyday lives. Wouldn't you agree?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I like Dr. Oz myself but have never followed any TV shows weight loss diets because they are fads and not meant to be a lifestyle change. You should just limit the unhealthy foods and eat more of the healthy foods to lose weight :)

or you can just eat less of whatever you want.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    He's a salesman like on any other infomercial.
  • 1113cw
    Options
    Was just looking for opinions mostly. I was just surprised at this recommendation. I have no plans to even try it as I know it is completely unrealistic for my life and what my personal plan is. I do spend time working out every day and DVR his show just to watch some of the other advice he has. Just wanted to see what y'all thought...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm curious what people eat if they cut out all carbs, dairy and sugar. Lettuce? Most fruits and veggies have some kind of carb.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Where is Jackpot with the Quack gif?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Does this make you reevaluate your love of Dr. Oz?

I hope it does.
  • 1113cw
    Options
    Also, I'm curious what people eat if they cut out all carbs, dairy and sugar. Lettuce? Most fruits and veggies have some kind of carb.

Low glycemic veggies and brown rice. I definitely cannot live on that, not for 2 weeks never mind forever.
  • jenjen828
    jenjen828 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I tried the Dukan diet a few years ago...it is basically very similar. You eat nothing but basically protein and low carb veggies. I lost weight, but I felt like total crap in the process. No energy for working out. Not enough fiber...and I will let your imagination figure out what went wrong there..lol, and to top it all off, when I did get any exercise--like walking around at a local street festival, my blood sugar tanked.

I know people who went on diets like these and lost a lot of weight--even in the long term. It just did not work for me. I could not do it, because I like being able to have energy to do what I want to do. I also like carbs, and I gained back the weight within days eating the carbs. Seems like most of the weight I lost was water weight.

Like I said, I think certain diets work better for others. You may be one of the people it works for. I think some of this is more of a trial and error thing and you have to find what is sustainable for you. One thing I did learn, is that whatever way I lose weight, I basically have to follow that same structure to keep it off. If this is not a lifestyle change that you can sustain, then you may want to consider something else that you can live with for the longterm.

Basically, any successful and sustainable weight loss program is going to have to be a lifestyle change. Eating healthier foods, eating fewer calories and exercising more to burn calories is what works. However you incorporate this into your life is up to you. Just make sure it is something that you can continue to do over the long haul.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Every time Dr. Oz is mentioned in an MFP thread a puppy dies.