Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfRIQASA-Xqv9HPpve33mKh41whnzwiu67Pa3lDt3Kni6fkpSvXQ
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    "This award makes Dr. Oz the only person to have won a Pigasus Award three times, having won the 2009-10 Pigasus in the Scientist category and the 2010-11 Pigasus in the Media category."

Careful now he's an award winning doctor, watch what you say!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    "This award makes Dr. Oz the only person to have won a Pigasus Award three times, having won the 2009-10 Pigasus in the Scientist category and the 2010-11 Pigasus in the Media category."

Careful now he's an award winning doctor, watch what you say!

What's he gonna do? Raspberry ketone me? Bring it on. ;)
  • BrotherAngel
    Options
    For me, this 2 Week Rapid Weight Loss Diet wouldn't be hard. I don't eat much dairy at all. In fact, it would be hard for me to eat a yogurt every day. I don't drink coffee or caffeine and ingest very little gluten. Most every morning I have a smoothie (ice, banana, other fruit, water & protein powder). For those who wonder what else is there? Tons!!! The list of veggies is extensive and you can add chicken, turkey or fish with your meals. I don't find the diet to be extreme.

However, Dr. Oz, who I've only watched a handful of times, seems to offer a new diet every time I've watched. And this diet may be extreme for those who enjoy lots of wheat (bread) and other gluten carbs. Sugar is my weakness but this could be a two week jump start.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    His fame got to his head....He says whatever is good for his endorsements. He is a sell out by far that does not care about the people.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Oz

Opinions?

incoming-duck.gif?w=560

I'll see your duckling and raise you a budgie with arms ..

3naGP1L.gif
  • jennufer1
    jennufer1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's rapid alright. My husband lost 15 pounds in 5 days!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    OP, good for you for your questioning. I think you've got some helpful comments here:)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Every time Dr. Oz is mentioned in an MFP thread a puppy dies.

^this

...and we're running dangerously low on puppies.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Don't follow the advice of a tv program or anyone who really doesn't know you. Always do your research. You know your body better then any one else.

Plus, we all know what happens when there's a dramatic change to eating and dieting. The weight may drop but always comes back.

Watch your calories and exercise.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    His health advice is usually pretty sound .
    Yeah. All the stuff he recommends has worked so well for Oprah.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Every time Dr. Oz is mentioned in an MFP thread a puppy dies.

^this

...and we're running dangerously low on puppies.

tumblr_m8meieb4WM1qih9gi.gif
  • roxazaloah
    Options
    Basically to me this is like putting your body through some sort of detox. While it's in "detox mode", you ARE going to lose weight, because you're cutting out a lot of foods that contribute to weight gain if eaten in mass quantities. Carbs are especially helpful for packing on pounds when you aren't doing a lot of working out to balance your intake. After the 2 weeks is done, you're going to probably feel pretty lethargic, because your body is trying to adapt to less energy and less calories brought in. People -can- live off of non-red meats and veggies, and a half cupful of rice daily, but in the long run, a lot of people can't stand the upkeep - - if you're like a lot of us, you like a variety of food, and this 'diet' isn't going to offer a plethora of variety to enjoy or satiate hunger for the long haul. Unless you commit to this 100%, I don't think it'll work.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Good Lawd people. It is a simple detox. All detox plans are extreme. This one, not so much. Veggies and fruits have complex carbs that your body has to work at to digest and therefore does not turn to instant fat. The grains that go into the crab foods we buy in the super markets this day are so genetically modified they are not any good. Of course, the alternatives are expensive or unrealistic so I just stay away from the breads.

Either way, the info in his diet is just a compilation of several books on the market. Common sense tells you that simple sugars and carbs, diet soda and alcohol are crap. Dairy is crap for your adult body. Again, so processed and modified once you purchase it, it is nothing like fresh dairy milk. Store bought juice is crap. Want an interesting read? Research how today's OJ is processed. Including OJ that touts itself as All Natural and Fresh. It is a scary processed food world out there. A little detox does a body good. Even if it isn't this one. =)
    all the things you are saying are "crap" I eat regularly and have about 11-12% body fat...

what is this diet detoxing that your body does not naturally detox on its own..?

Hey!

:angry:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Basically to me this is like putting your body through some sort of detox. While it's in "detox mode", you ARE going to lose weight, because you're cutting out a lot of foods that contribute to weight gain if eaten in mass quantities. Carbs are especially helpful for packing on pounds when you aren't doing a lot of working out to balance your intake. After the 2 weeks is done, you're going to probably feel pretty lethargic, because your body is trying to adapt to less energy and less calories brought in. People -can- live off of non-red meats and veggies, and a half cupful of rice daily, but in the long run, a lot of people can't stand the upkeep - - if you're like a lot of us, you like a variety of food, and this 'diet' isn't going to offer a plethora of variety to enjoy or satiate hunger for the long haul. Unless you commit to this 100%, I don't think it'll work.

I think I disagree with every single point you made in your post.

Detox mode...foods that contribute to weight gain if eaten in mass quantities (which are *all* foods, to be clear)...carbs packing on pounds...

Oh, wait...I agree with the "pretty lethargic" after two weeks part...but how this is beneficial to weight loss (regardless of level of commitment), I have no idea.

Losing weight is so ridiculously simple. Caloric deficit over time. I don't understand the desire to make it more complicated (and so extreme as to be completely unsustainable). I sincerely do not.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of research out there that shows that for many people, a calorie is not just a calorie. And even if weight loss is the only goal, health is also important to me. I do not believe that for most people just eating smaller portions of the same junk foods they used to eat is the right answer. To each their own....but am tired of the condescending attitudes such as the one posted above me.

This
  • Sunka1
    Options
    Cher used to say something along the lines of if "exercise came in a bottle we would all be fit" grated I that is not the exact quote. Dr.Oz, Dr. Phil, Oprah and any other person on TV. If they are popular people will follow what they say.

There is not one thing out there that works for everyone EXCEPT making smart choices, eating fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins, carbs in moderation or what ever. You can over do on anything and your body will react, weight loss, weight gain, digestive problems...

You can eat under your calories by eating chips, candy, donuts etc. but that is not healthy. I want more bang for my buck. If I have 1800 calories I am not going to spend it all on junk I want quality and a good bargain. I can get a lot more to eat if I use the fruits, vegetables and protein than if I eat 1 donut.

Each of us is different, some cannot tolerate wheat products, some dairy We have to do what is best for us but do it sensibly. I did not get to be over weight by eating too many fruits and veggies. :wink:

And this
  • Sunka1
    Options
    This diet is meant to give you a jump start on your weight loss goal. If you're trying to lose weight, you really should cut out sugar, red meat, and wheat anyways... I thought that was obvious. As far as after the two weeks, he also says the diet should also serve add a lifestyle change. He said you should keep following the diet, but then you can have an unlimited amount of protein and nuts as well.

Why should I cut out sugar, red meat, or wheat? I'm losing weight while continuing to eat chocolate, steak, and bread. Of course, I count every bite that goes into my mouth including "just one" piece of candy. Working just fine for me, thanks.

Congrats on your weight loss. If that is all you are after you are doing great. But losing weight and eating for health can be very different lifestyles depending on goals.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of research out there that shows that for many people, a calorie is not just a calorie. And even if weight loss is the only goal, health is also important to me. I do not believe that for most people just eating smaller portions of the same junk foods they used to eat is the right answer. To each their own....but am tired of the condescending attitudes such as the one posted above me.

This

http://evidencemag.com/calories-count/
  • Sunka1
    Options
    Ummmm...ever heard of visceral fat? Losing weight should be about getting healthy, not skinny. If you are chowing down on red meat, carbs and sugar that is just not getting healthy.

Finally some logic.