Dr Oz 2 Week Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    my advice would be to use that hour to work out instead of watching Dr. Oz.

Funny. :laugh:
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz.....seriously?

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/04/04/dr-oz-promotes-quackeryagain/

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/for-shame-dr-oz/

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/02/04/130204fa_fact_specter

And.............

http://www.randi.org/site/jref-news/1260-pigasus-2011
    The Media Pigasus Award goes to Dr. Mehmet Oz, who has done such a disservice to his TV viewers by promoting quack medical practices that he is now the first person to win a Pigasus two years in a row. Dr. Oz is a Harvard-educated cardiac physician who, through his syndicated TV show, has promoted faith healing, "energy medicine," and other quack theories that have no scientific basis. Oz has appeared on ABC News to give legitimacy to the claims of Brazilian faith healer “John of God,” who uses old carnival tricks to take money from the seriously ill. He's hosted Ayurvedic guru Yogi Cameron on his show to promote nonsense "tongue examination" as a way of diagnosing health problems. This year, he really went off the deep end. In March 2011, Dr. Oz endorsed "psychic" huckster and past Pigasus winner John Edward, who pretends to talk to dead people. Oz even suggested that bereaved families should visit psychic mediums to receive (faked) messages from their dead relatives as a form of grief counseling.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of research out there that shows that for many people, a calorie is not just a calorie. And even if weight loss is the only goal, health is also important to me. I do not believe that for most people just eating smaller portions of the same junk foods they used to eat is the right answer. To each their own....but am tired of the condescending attitudes such as the one posted above me.

a calorie is not a calorie when it is a ….?

condescending is as condescending does
  • KatsMom50
    KatsMom50 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cher used to say something along the lines of if "exercise came in a bottle we would all be fit" grated I that is not the exact quote. Dr.Oz, Dr. Phil, Oprah and any other person on TV. If they are popular people will follow what they say.

There is not one thing out there that works for everyone EXCEPT making smart choices, eating fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins, carbs in moderation or what ever. You can over do on anything and your body will react, weight loss, weight gain, digestive problems...

You can eat under your calories by eating chips, candy, donuts etc. but that is not healthy. I want more bang for my buck. If I have 1800 calories I am not going to spend it all on junk I want quality and a good bargain. I can get a lot more to eat if I use the fruits, vegetables and protein than if I eat 1 donut.

Each of us is different, some cannot tolerate wheat products, some dairy We have to do what is best for us but do it sensibly. I did not get to be over weight by eating too many fruits and veggies. :wink:
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This diet is meant to give you a jump start on your weight loss goal. If you're trying to lose weight, you really should cut out sugar, red meat, and wheat anyways... I thought that was obvious. As far as after the two weeks, he also says the diet should also serve add a lifestyle change. He said you should keep following the diet, but then you can have an unlimited amount of protein and nuts as well.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    This diet is meant to give you a jump start on your weight loss goal. If you're trying to lose weight, you really should cut out sugar, red meat, and wheat anyways... I thought that was obvious. As far as after the two weeks, he also says the diet should also serve add a lifestyle change. He said you should keep following the diet, but then you can have an unlimited amount of protein and nuts as well.

*facepalm*

lets break this down real fast..

1. You can't "jumpstart" weight loss. You either eat more or you don't.
    2. you do not need to cut out red meat, sugar, wheat to lose weight. There are no bad foods, just food that is used as energy. I eat red meat, wheat, and sugar and have about 11% body fat.
    3. There is no way you can follow this "diet" for long term. You will eventually give in to cravings and binge.

A more sensible approach is to eat in a calorie deficit, work out/move more, hit your macro goals, and try to eat healthy around 80% of the time and fill in the other 20% with what you want = ice cream, pizza, cookies, etc.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

*facepalm*

lets break this down real fast..

1. You can't "jumpstart" weight loss. You either eat more or you don't.
    2. you do not need to cut out red meat, sugar, wheat to lose weight. There are no bad foods, just food that is used as energy. I eat red meat, wheat, and sugar and have about 11% body fat.
    3. There is no way you can follow this "diet" for long term. You will eventually give in to cravings and binge.

A more sensible approach is to eat in a calorie deficit, work out/move more, hit your macro goals, and try to eat healthy around 80% of the time and fill in the other 20% with what you want = ice cream, pizza, cookies, etc.

BUT....
    If you (ones who decide to do this diet) try it & decide it's not for you, us regular IIFYM folks will still be around here.
    This info will be waiting and you might just decide that we're on to something here.

Delicious awaits! Hope to see you soon!
  • heatherlynnc123
    Options

Why should I cut out sugar, red meat, or wheat? I'm losing weight while continuing to eat chocolate, steak, and bread. Of course, I count every bite that goes into my mouth including "just one" piece of candy. Working just fine for me, thanks.
  • juliereif3
    Options
    I like Dr. Oz and I'm trying it. Will let you know. :drinker: No alcohol. Yikes.
  • laf42day
    Options
    Good Lawd people. It is a simple detox. All detox plans are extreme. This one, not so much. Veggies and fruits have complex carbs that your body has to work at to digest and therefore does not turn to instant fat. The grains that go into the crab foods we buy in the super markets this day are so genetically modified they are not any good. Of course, the alternatives are expensive or unrealistic so I just stay away from the breads.

Either way, the info in his diet is just a compilation of several books on the market. Common sense tells you that simple sugars and carbs, diet soda and alcohol are crap. Dairy is crap for your adult body. Again, so processed and modified once you purchase it, it is nothing like fresh dairy milk. Store bought juice is crap. Want an interesting read? Research how today's OJ is processed. Including OJ that touts itself as All Natural and Fresh. It is a scary processed food world out there. A little detox does a body good. Even if it isn't this one. =)
  • laf42day
    Options
    Ummmm...ever heard of visceral fat? Losing weight should be about getting healthy, not skinny. If you are chowing down on red meat, carbs and sugar that is just not getting healthy.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a snake oil salesmen. He's no better than the commercials selling crap like hydroxycut or any other "miracle" weight loss pills/drugs/plans.

Edit, plus what are you really detoxing??? Your body already does that.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Oz
    His health advice is usually pretty sound .

2md5ilt.png

Edgar! Is it true you died of rabies?

No... I died following Dr. Oz's 2 week diet.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    my advice would be to use that hour to work out instead of watching Dr. Oz.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    WOW. That SERIOUSLY sounds like a crazy fad crash diet. I would NOT be able to do that for two weeks, you basically cut out everything and starve yourself. There are good carbs, good sugars, etc... I would rather just figure out what those are and build a healthy lifestyle around that.

I did Atkins for 7 months, which is kinda extreme too, and I barely got through that without killing someone from everything I was cutting out!
  • Americannabis
    Options
    I'm not gonna touch the topic of "detoxing" (in a dieting sense) nor how I feel about Dr. Oz's show, but I'm not seeing the issue with red meat. In fact, I need even more of it because I'm anemic. Gonna hoard all the red meat now, sorry guys.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna touch the topic of "detoxing" (in a dieting sense) nor how I feel about Dr. Oz's show, but I'm not seeing the issue with red meat. In fact, I need even more of it because I'm anemic. Gonna hoard all the red meat now, sorry guys.

Share?

My blood levels all come back okay when tested, but I CRAVE red meat. I mean, if I don't have a steak when I want one I may end up going out and killing my own cow (or lamb).
  • jennufer1
    jennufer1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Started this today but after reading this my rethink it. I have already lost almost 18 pounds on my own, cutting out coffee-I added a lot of half and half and sugar and then just cutting back on my portions. Maybe I should just stay the course since it's working!?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Good Lawd people. It is a simple detox. All detox plans are extreme. This one, not so much. Veggies and fruits have complex carbs that your body has to work at to digest and therefore does not turn to instant fat. The grains that go into the crab foods we buy in the super markets this day are so genetically modified they are not any good. Of course, the alternatives are expensive or unrealistic so I just stay away from the breads.

Either way, the info in his diet is just a compilation of several books on the market. Common sense tells you that simple sugars and carbs, diet soda and alcohol are crap. Dairy is crap for your adult body. Again, so processed and modified once you purchase it, it is nothing like fresh dairy milk. Store bought juice is crap. Want an interesting read? Research how today's OJ is processed. Including OJ that touts itself as All Natural and Fresh. It is a scary processed food world out there. A little detox does a body good. Even if it isn't this one. =)
    all the things you are saying are "crap" I eat regularly and have about 11-12% body fat...

what is this diet detoxing that your body does not naturally detox on its own..?