24 hour water fast/detox... Yes?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    water fasting clears the mind & body

No, it doesn't clear anything. Any psychological effects don't come directly from the fasting.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    U wont get any positive feed back about fasts etc here lol , i do it every 2 weeks or so ...once or twice/week usually on a cardio/ rest day ...and i didn't lose any muscle from water fasting for 24 hrs actually my strength increased from doing so while bulking/ cutting and i always feel great and energetic the day after ..imo there are no side affects to water fasting for 24 hrs.. go for it .

You don't get positive feedback because it's not necessary or beneficial.

Not beneficial? well if u binge afterwards or spend the whole day thinking about food then yeah ...water fasting clears the mind & body ...doing some sort of meditation or just relaxing activity while fasting will make u feel really good psychologically and physically..that said not everyone will look at it this way ..those who feel tired , hungry , depressed etc while fasting ..simply shouldn't do it

While you may feel benefits - these have nothing to do with detoxing or cleansing your body.

Don't get me wrong, if someone likes it, or finds it easier to adhere to a caloric deficit this way, I have no issues with a one day fast. It's just that people look to do it for 'detox' reasons when there is nothing that it will be detoxing above that which your body will do anyway.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    vevqzl.jpg
  • _Tay_
    _Tay_ Posts: 95
    Options
    Nice, informative, respected people of MFP: Stop wasting your time. She obviously is only looking for the response SHE wants to hear.

Advice in one ear but out the other.. Can't fix stupid..

I stated that I am not looking for reassurance that this is RIGHT. But polite opinions. As this post has brought out the nasty in people. You included. If I saw a post I didn't agree with.. I definitely wouldn't go around posting that you "can't fix stupid".. I see MFP as a community .. A friendly one.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Fasting with only water for a day won't hurt you, but at the same time it won't detox you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Nice, informative, respected people of MFP: Stop wasting your time. She obviously is only looking for the response SHE wants to hear.

Advice in one ear but out the other.. Can't fix stupid..

I stated that I am not looking for reassurance that this is RIGHT. But polite opinions. As this post has brought out the nasty in people. You included. If I saw a post I didn't agree with.. I definitely wouldn't go around posting that you "can't fix stupid".. I see MFP as a community .. A friendly one.
    I'm pretty sure if you read through this thread, you were the first person to get "nasty."
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It likely won't do you any harm or good.
  • _Tay_
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion as well. I am not looking for reassurance to do this fast by any means. Just perspectives good and bad.. I do urge you and others to do a bit of research on water detoxing and see both sides in this.. As there is a HUGE group who support fasting for 24 hours once a month. And they have reason. True? Who knows. Thanks again!

PS ALSO not looking for a grade ;)

Argumentum ad populum

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/bandwagon

A huge number of people also try raspberry ketones and a whole bunch of fads. Is that what is next on your plate?

Thank you for the suggestion that I "do a bit of research". :laugh:

edit: spelling

Hey some "fads" work. But it's nice to ask the community their take on it. That's why I like MFP.

Side note: please don't let my iPads correcting hinder your thoughts on my spelling ability.

Let's be friends! ;)
  • _Tay_
    Options
    Lol thanks everyone for your opinions! As they are all just opinions

I truly mean this in the nicest way possible but the notion that your liver and kidneys functionally detoxify your system without the need to abstain from eating is not an opinion, it is factual.

Additionally, if you were in a position that your organs were not performing their functions properly, you would be in need of medical attention rather than 24 hours of water.

Thanks!
  • _Tay_
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion as well. I am not looking for reassurance to do this fast by any means. Just perspectives good and bad.. I do urge you and others to do a bit of research on water detoxing and see both sides in this.. As there is a HUGE group who support fasting for 24 hours once a month. And they have reason. True? Who knows. Thanks again!

PS ALSO not looking for a grade ;)

People who fast for 24 hours often follow IF. That has nothing to do with "cleansing" the body of anything. You don't need to detox your body of anything. If you wish to do a fast because of temporary benefits (more energy from cortisol, calorie cycling, etc.), fine. Ridding the body of toxins? We'll point out that there is no benefit to fasting to do this. Your body will cleanse itself the same way it would if you had eaten.

Many have researched this, but thanks again for playing, "Ask a question and don't listen to answers!"

:flowerforyou:

I am listening, well reading, ALL answers. For and against. And not making a firm decision based on one post. I do appreciate your answer though. IF is something I will definitely read up on...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A 24 hour water fast can be a healthy thing to do. I don't know that it will really help with fat loss, but it probably will help with water weight loss.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No :noway:
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost almost 40 pounds using MFP yay!!
    cheer.gif
    Well.. Sadly I gained 10 back. Thank you winter.. Not to mention I stopped using MyFitnessPal after reaching my goal.
    5c8EWtb.gif

SO.. I am returning and ready! I have heard of people doing a water detox or fast to give the body the cleanse it needs. What are your thoughts? I wouldn't work out today of course until I ate again.

Fail.gif
    It is 10:15 am where I live.. I haven't ate food today.. Only water. And now I am just looking for other opinions or advice on the topic before I let the rest of the day be food free...
    picard-facepalm-o.gif

OP, did you forget what you already learned through 40 pounds of hard work? Do what you did to lose the 40 lbs. Get back on the horse and watch your calories in vs. calories out. Stop chasing rainbows and magic beans.

You know what you should really be doing. DO IT! Don't lie to yourself.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Might trick you into feeling mentally better, but it won't detox you or make you healthier.
  • _Tay_
    Options
    Lol thanks everyone for your opinions! As they are all just opinions ... But greatly appreciated. Especially thanks to those of you who voted against the fast and wasn't a little negative nancy about it ;)

I enjoy reading different perspectives on water only for 24 hours.. And if you've actually tried it even better!

I DO want a safe healthy body.. And my intention wasn't to lose weight off of this detox. I too have read up on it.. But don't believe everything I read online. Just looking for other points of view in a polite manner, thanks!

They are not just opinions.

Could you point us to what the body actually detoxes by doing a water fast, above that which the body does anyway? I have researched it and can never find it. If you have found this illusive holy grail, please share.

Sure! I have not found a holy grail... Sad huh? What I did find we're different sites for this detox. As I stated.. True? Who knows. Turning to this community and posting this topic was mainly to hear other opinions. I know for a fact water does cleanse .. Or detox.. blood urea nitrogen. But that is not something I am focused on. Simone healthy wrote a great list on what water detoxing does for the body. I'll have to look up the web address.. (Inbox me if interested). But on top of that Google is FILLED with pro water detox sites. Again I'll say... True? Not sure. Thanks for your opinion thought and everyone else's!
  • _Tay_
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am going to finish out my day.. Not sure if I'll do this again. But I will definitely look into IF (intermediate fasting I believe)..

I do truly value all of your takes on it.. Whether y'all call me "stupid" or not ;)

Friend me if interested. I would love that!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks everyone for your opinions! As they are all just opinions ... But greatly appreciated. Especially thanks to those of you who voted against the fast and wasn't a little negative nancy about it ;)

I enjoy reading different perspectives on water only for 24 hours.. And if you've actually tried it even better!

I DO want a safe healthy body.. And my intention wasn't to lose weight off of this detox. I too have read up on it.. But don't believe everything I read online. Just looking for other points of view in a polite manner, thanks!

They are not just opinions.

Could you point us to what the body actually detoxes by doing a water fast, above that which the body does anyway? I have researched it and can never find it. If you have found this illusive holy grail, please share.

Sure! I have not found a holy grail... Sad huh? What I did find we're different sites for this detox. As I stated.. True? Who knows. Turning to this community and posting this topic was mainly to hear other opinions. I know for a fact water does cleanse .. Or detox.. blood urea nitrogen. But that is not something I am focused on. Simone healthy wrote a great list on what water detoxing does for the body. I'll have to look up the web address.. (Inbox me if interested). But on top of that Google is FILLED with pro water detox sites. Again I'll say... True? Not sure. Thanks for your opinion thought and everyone else's!

You can drink water without fasting.

Please could you link some of these that cites studies that shows what is detoxed by a water fast specifically when you get a chance.

Also, calling something an opinion...does not necessarily make it so.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact water does cleanse .. Or detox.. blood urea nitrogen.

No.

It's clear that you're set on doing this and have already decided it's a good idea. I don't know what you're looking for here. Validation? Looks like you're not finding much of that.
  • _Tay_
    Options
    Might trick you into feeling mentally better, but it won't detox you or make you healthier.

Good point... Thanks!
  • _Tay_
    Options
    I know for a fact water does cleanse .. Or detox.. blood urea nitrogen.

No.

It's clear that you're set on doing this and have already decided it's a good idea. I don't know what you're looking for here. Validation? Looks like you're not finding much of that.

No I don't want any validation. Just perspectives. I was just answering her question.. Did you read the rest of my answer to her? take care!