24 hour water fast/detox... Yes?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Lol thanks everyone for your opinions! As they are all just opinions ... But greatly appreciated. Especially thanks to those of you who voted against the fast and wasn't a little negative nancy about it ;)

I enjoy reading different perspectives on water only for 24 hours.. And if you've actually tried it even better!

I DO want a safe healthy body.. And my intention wasn't to lose weight off of this detox. I too have read up on it.. But don't believe everything I read online. Just looking for other points of view in a polite manner, thanks!

They are not just opinions.

Could you point us to what the body actually detoxes by doing a water fast, above that which the body does anyway? I have researched it and can never find it. If you have found this illusive holy grail, please share.

Sure! I have not found a holy grail... Sad huh? What I did find we're different sites for this detox. As I stated.. True? Who knows. Turning to this community and posting this topic was mainly to hear other opinions. I know for a fact water does cleanse .. Or detox.. blood urea nitrogen. But that is not something I am focused on. Simone healthy wrote a great list on what water detoxing does for the body. I'll have to look up the web address.. (Inbox me if interested). But on top of that Google is FILLED with pro water detox sites. Again I'll say... True? Not sure. Thanks for your opinion thought and everyone else's!

My goodness, surely you aren't saying that by googling a topic, you can assume the first sites that pop up are legit? :noway:

To that I would add: When you're trying to backup a claim, never link to an article from a newspaper or magazine talking about a study, link to the actual scientific study, or at least provide an article that numbers and sites each claim it makes with studies sourced at the bottom...
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    I hate that "detox" is such a huge fad right now. What exactly do we think we can detox that our bodies can't handle? What is water or spicy lemonade or raspberry ketones supposed to do that our bodies can't? Logically, it makes no sense that we've survived for thousands of years as a species without an adequate system in our bodies that rejects toxins.

No harm in a 24 fast but one day really won't make a huge difference. IF works for a lot of people but not because they're claiming some mystical detoxifying magic. Do whatever you need to do but be logical
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Someone save me from three pages of reading. Is the following question answered in this thread?
    Which toxins are being eliminated in this detox that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while still eating food.

You don't have to name all of them...just one. Please, OP, just give the name of *ONE* toxin. Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:

I hope so. I really really do.

Nope.
  • _Tay_
    _Tay_ Posts: 95
    I hate that "detox" is such a huge fad right now. What exactly do we think we can detox that our bodies can't handle? What is water or spicy lemonade or raspberry ketones supposed to do that our bodies can't? Logically, it makes no sense that we've survived for thousands of years as a species without an adequate system in our bodies that rejects toxins.

No harm in a 24 fast but one day really won't make a huge difference. IF works for a lot of people but not because they're claiming some mystical detoxifying magic. Do whatever you need to do but be logical

Thanks!
  • _Tay_
    Lol thanks everyone for your opinions! As they are all just opinions ... But greatly appreciated. Especially thanks to those of you who voted against the fast and wasn't a little negative nancy about it ;)

I enjoy reading different perspectives on water only for 24 hours.. And if you've actually tried it even better!

I DO want a safe healthy body.. And my intention wasn't to lose weight off of this detox. I too have read up on it.. But don't believe everything I read online. Just looking for other points of view in a polite manner, thanks!

Could you point us to what the body actually detoxes by doing a water fast, above that which the body does anyway? I have researched it and can never find it. If you have found this illusive holy grail, please share.

Sure! I have not found a holy grail... Sad huh? What I did find we're different sites for this detox. As I stated.. True? Who knows. Turning to this community and posting this topic was mainly to hear other opinions. I know for a fact water does cleanse .. Or detox.. blood urea nitrogen. But that is not something I am focused on. Simone healthy wrote a great list on what water detoxing does for the body. I'll have to look up the web address.. (Inbox me if interested). But on top of that Google is FILLED with pro water detox sites. Again I'll say... True? Not sure. Thanks for your opinion thought and everyone else's!

My goodness, surely you aren't saying that by googling a topic, you can assume the first sites that pop up are legit? :noway:

To that I would add: When you're trying to backup a claim, never link to an article from a newspaper or magazine talking about a study, link to the actual scientific study, or at least provide an article that numbers and sites each claim it makes with studies sourced at the bottom...

I've already stated several times I do not know any of these sites to be truthful and I was only searching for other perspectives. Don't turn it into a 'read it off the internet MUST be true' argument. Thanks!
  • _Tay_
    If you have reasons to fast, there is nothing wrong with not consuming any food during a 24 hr period. I personally started to do this every Friday (water only) during Lent last year. But, I was often ravenous the next morning. My fast was well and truly broken on Saturdays!

Anyway, my point is that fasting itself doesn't really have any dietary positives. It certainly isn't a cleanse. I do it for personal reasons during a certain time of year, And I know I've done the "Oops, I haven't eaten since last night" right at dinner time when I'm busy. But it's not something I would do specifically to lose weight.

GREAT input. Thanks!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I fast occasionally and believe it to be healthful. Cancer, heart disease and diabetes are rampant in my family and there is some research out there supporting the POSSIBLE benefits of fasting so it seems like a no brainer to me. It's certainly not harmful if you don't have any medical issues.

Marks Daily Apple did a series of blog posts on fasting and links to the relevant studies some people might find interesting:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-cancer/
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Well if you want to do it then go ahead, my dad fast sometimes and he is 73 years old and very healthy.
  • _Tay_

As stated .. Too many times now.. (Lol) .. Please don't make me out to be one of those 'believe everything she reads" people. Because I've said time and time and TIME again... Man my fingers are sore! Haha.. That I do not know any of what I read to be true.. Only that I read it. And I see it all over the internet,. This 'fad' .. Looking for other opinions is all.

Someone previously stated she couldn't find a source FOR water cleansing. So I provided one. Is is reliable? Who knows. But it is all over the internet. Just want friends and opinions here.. Thanks!
  • _Tay_
    Well if you want to do it then go ahead, my dad fast sometimes and he is 73 years old and very healthy.

Interesting... Thanks!
  • _Tay_
    I fast occasionally and believe it to be healthful. Cancer, heart disease and diabetes are rampant in my family and there is some research out there supporting the POSSIBLE benefits of fasting so it seems like a no brainer to me. It's certainly not harmful if you don't have any medical issues.

Marks Daily Apple did a series of blog posts on fasting and links to the relevant studies some people might find interesting:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-cancer/

I'll look into that site. Thank you!
  • _Tay_
    This...
    Hi! I lost almost 40 pounds using MFP yay!!
    cheer.gif
    Well.. Sadly I gained 10 back. Thank you winter.. Not to mention I stopped using MyFitnessPal after reaching my goal.
    5c8EWtb.gif

SO.. I am returning and ready! I have heard of people doing a water detox or fast to give the body the cleanse it needs. What are your thoughts? I wouldn't work out today of course until I ate again.

Fail.gif
    It is 10:15 am where I live.. I haven't ate food today.. Only water. And now I am just looking for other opinions or advice on the topic before I let the rest of the day be food free...
    picard-facepalm-o.gif

OP, did you forget what you already learned through 40 pounds of hard work? Do what you did to lose the 40 lbs. Get back on the horse and watch your calories in vs. calories out. Stop chasing rainbows and magic beans.

You know what you should really be doing. DO IT! Don't lie to yourself.

and...
    IXUO5zJ.gif

Seriously? That's awesome... Haha
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

As stated .. Too many times now.. (Lol) .. Please don't make me out to be one of those 'believe everything she reads" people. Because I've said time and time and TIME again... Man my fingers are sore! Haha.. That I do not know any of what I read to be true.. Only that I read it. And I see it all over the internet,. This 'fad' .. Looking for other opinions is all.

Someone previously stated she couldn't find a source FOR water cleansing. So I provided one. Is is reliable? Who knows. But it is all over the internet. Just want friends and opinions here.. Thanks!

No, that is NOT what I said.
  • _Tay_

You can drink water without fasting.

Please could you link some of these that cites studies that shows what is detoxed by a water fast specifically when you get a chance.

Also, calling something an opinion...does not necessarily make it so.

With respect.. I could sit here for hours posting websites for you. But quite honestly.. If you know how to use google you can do it yourself. I mean this kindly .. Here is one site that I found.. Weighing pros and cons on water fasting.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/new-study-reveals-24hour-water-fast-is-good-for-your-heart-2287944.html

But there ARE so many more. I am 50/50 on the topic. Not sure where my mind lies. But I am not going to just let everyone post ignorant comments without sticking up for myself. I did ask this question for a reason... Because I was led to believe via internet that it was a normal, healthy way to cleanse the body. I was asking for other opinions. MFP is awesome.. I can talk to so many people and get their takes on things. But it does irritate me when I get judged or otherwise put down for asking for opinions.

I'm a nice girl. Just looking for nice honest friends. :)

You make assertions, it's up to you to support them I have researched and have never found anything. Did you read the article?

"Thinking of trying a detox fast this spring? A new study reported in health and science website Science Daily claims that routine 24-hour water-only fasting is good for your health and your heart.

US research cardiologists found that fasting can lower your risks of developing coronary artery disease and diabetes, but also can improve your blood cholesterol levels. The study also reveals that fasting for 24 hours can bolster a metabolic protein called human growth hormone that protects lean muscles.

Another study reported in American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions 2007 also found a link between lower rates of heart disease and people who fast one day each month for religious practices.

While some experts agreed that a one-day water fast won't do too much harm, they urge caution when trying a more extended detox plan, such as the Master Cleanse or Lemon Detox Diet, Fat Flush, 21 Pounds in 21 Days, or the Liver Detox Diet.

"Extreme diets generally do little more than cause frustration, are potentially dangerous, and are in general a waste of time and money," Michelle May, MD and author of Am I Hungry? What to Do When Diets Don't Work, in an interview with health website WebMD. Strict regimens can lead to fluid losses that can upset your electrolyte balance, causing upset stomach, headaches, fatigue, moodiness, and even dehydration.

Experts also say that your body naturally detoxes itself, through your hardworking kidneys and liver, which eliminate toxins. If you’re looking for a safe cleanse or a way to lose weight, load up on healthful all-natural foods, drink lots of filtered water, and avoid excess medications and alcohol."

Conclusion of the actual study:

"While the results were surprising to researchers, it's not time to start a fasting diet just yet. It will take more studies like these to fully determine the body's reaction to fasting and its effect on human health."

What does this have to do with detoxing anything either?

I really hope that you are not pointing that ignorant comment at me btw.

You stated you couldn't find ANY site looking at water detoxing as a positive. I was only supplying one. And as stated already.. It weighed out the pros and cons. I promise you if you look.. You'll find several more sites.

But looking for websites supporting water cleansing is besides the point and quite frankly I didn't post this topic to post websites .. I say this with respect.

My intention was to gain friends and hear perspectives on the topic.

Thanks !
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member

Well.. Sadly I gained 10 back. Thank you winter.. Not to mention I stopped using MyFitnessPal after reaching my goal.

SO.. I am returning and ready! I have heard of people doing a water detox or fast to give the body the cleanse it needs. What are your thoughts? I wouldn't work out today of course until I ate again.

It is 10:15 am where I live.. I haven't ate food today.. Only water. And now I am just looking for other opinions or advice on the topic before I let the rest of the day be food free...

Thank you and PLEASE feel free to add me.. As my absence has left me somewhat friendless :(
    Tay :)

I wanted to try Intermittant fasting but I get SOOOOO cranky and unhappy when I am hungry. In fact, I'd be way beyond my goal weight now if I could just stop midnight snacking, but it's impossible for me to sleep when I am hungry. :(
  • Sarauk2sf

You can drink water without fasting.

Please could you link some of these that cites studies that shows what is detoxed by a water fast specifically when you get a chance.

Also, calling something an opinion...does not necessarily make it so.

With respect.. I could sit here for hours posting websites for you. But quite honestly.. If you know how to use google you can do it yourself. I mean this kindly .. Here is one site that I found.. Weighing pros and cons on water fasting.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/new-study-reveals-24hour-water-fast-is-good-for-your-heart-2287944.html

But there ARE so many more. I am 50/50 on the topic. Not sure where my mind lies. But I am not going to just let everyone post ignorant comments without sticking up for myself. I did ask this question for a reason... Because I was led to believe via internet that it was a normal, healthy way to cleanse the body. I was asking for other opinions. MFP is awesome.. I can talk to so many people and get their takes on things. But it does irritate me when I get judged or otherwise put down for asking for opinions.

I'm a nice girl. Just looking for nice honest friends. :)

You make assertions, it's up to you to support them I have researched and have never found anything. Did you read the article?

"Thinking of trying a detox fast this spring? A new study reported in health and science website Science Daily claims that routine 24-hour water-only fasting is good for your health and your heart.

US research cardiologists found that fasting can lower your risks of developing coronary artery disease and diabetes, but also can improve your blood cholesterol levels. The study also reveals that fasting for 24 hours can bolster a metabolic protein called human growth hormone that protects lean muscles.

Another study reported in American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions 2007 also found a link between lower rates of heart disease and people who fast one day each month for religious practices.

While some experts agreed that a one-day water fast won't do too much harm, they urge caution when trying a more extended detox plan, such as the Master Cleanse or Lemon Detox Diet, Fat Flush, 21 Pounds in 21 Days, or the Liver Detox Diet.

"Extreme diets generally do little more than cause frustration, are potentially dangerous, and are in general a waste of time and money," Michelle May, MD and author of Am I Hungry? What to Do When Diets Don't Work, in an interview with health website WebMD. Strict regimens can lead to fluid losses that can upset your electrolyte balance, causing upset stomach, headaches, fatigue, moodiness, and even dehydration.

Experts also say that your body naturally detoxes itself, through your hardworking kidneys and liver, which eliminate toxins. If you’re looking for a safe cleanse or a way to lose weight, load up on healthful all-natural foods, drink lots of filtered water, and avoid excess medications and alcohol."

Conclusion of the actual study:

"While the results were surprising to researchers, it's not time to start a fasting diet just yet. It will take more studies like these to fully determine the body's reaction to fasting and its effect on human health."

What does this have to do with detoxing anything either?

I really hope that you are not pointing that ignorant comment at me btw.

You stated you couldn't find ANY site looking at water detoxing as a positive. I was only supplying one. And as stated already.. It weighed out the pros and cons. I promise you if you look.. You'll find several more sites.

But looking for websites supporting water cleansing is besides the point and quite frankly I didn't post this topic to post websites .. I say this with respect.

My intention was to gain friends and hear perspectives on the topic.

Thanks !

Please reread what I posted as that is not what I said AT ALL.
  • _Tay_

I'm not arguing with you in whether this 'fad' truly 'DETOXES' or not. I'm asking for opinions because I don't know. That simple. I.dont.know.

I'm not getting into a 'yes it detoxes' no it does not detox' battle. Because I don't know. And thank you MFP community for your input!
  • Sarauk2sf

I'm not arguing with you in whether this 'fad' truly 'DETOXES' or not. I'm asking for opinions because I don't know. That simple. I.dont.know.

I'm not getting into a 'yes it detoxes' no it does not detox' battle. Because I don't know. And thank you MFP community for your input!

That's fine, but do not misquote me.

Thank you.
  • _Tay_

Thank you and PLEASE feel free to add me.. As my absence has left me somewhat friendless :(
    Tay :)

I wanted to try Intermittant fasting but I get SOOOOO cranky and unhappy when I am hungry. In fact, I'd be way beyond my goal weight now if I could just stop midnight snacking, but it's impossible for me to sleep when I am hungry. :(

Ooh yes.. Being hungry makes a lot of people moody! Thanks :)
  • _Tay_

That's fine, but do not misquote me.

Thank you.

As you shouldn't assume. And your welcome ;)