24 hour water fast/detox... Yes?

Options

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    What criteria are you going to use when you finally make the determination as to what is fact, or readily accepted with mountains of evidence, vs pure opinion/conjecture?

- Are you going to rely on peer reviewed research?
    - Are you going to rely on whatever website pops up on google?
    - Are you going to rely on your own opinion?
    - Are you going to rely on information from detox oriented sites?
    - Are you going to rely on consensus?

What, in your mind, separates fact from opinion and how are you going to use the information in this thread?

Great question! Since I do not have the money time or resources to go and get a 100% answer.. I will just have to rely on me. My feel on the water cleanse.. That would be the final say. Me.

Having the luxury of google.. And hundreds of health, weight loss friends here in MFP just adds to helping me reach a decision for my body. But doesn't act as a final say.. For as I said. That relays in me solely.

Thanks !

Here's a google search for you; google "critical thinking"
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If one day of fasting is "good" for you, two ought to be better!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What criteria are you going to use when you finally make the determination as to what is fact, or readily accepted with mountains of evidence, vs pure opinion/conjecture?

What, in your mind, separates fact from opinion and how are you going to use the information in this thread?

Great question! Since I do not have the money time or resources to go and get a 100% answer.. I will just have to rely on me. My feel on the water cleanse.. That would be the final say. Me.

Having the luxury of google.. And hundreds of health, weight loss friends here in MFP just adds to helping me reach a decision for my body. But doesn't act as a final say.. For as I said. That relays in me solely.

Thanks !

I have a follow up question:

If the majority of evidence from reliable sources such as medical journals and actual research, heavily slanted in one direction on any given issue, would you still go with your feelings or would you go with what the evidence dictates?.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    Shaun T- Insanity producer say's if you want to detox just drink lots of water and that is all you need to do..
  • kbf2107
    kbf2107 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    wow this thread is certainly turning nasty, unnecessarily in my opinion. Anyway, I wouldn't do a strict water detox. I did a fruit and veggie smoothie detox for 3 days and that worked wonders in getting all the nasty toxins out of my body. I recommend Dr. Oz's 3-Day Detox.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Well i must add although i dont think its the best idea.. when ever i have surgery you have to do a clear liquid fast. That's doctors orders to get rid of everything in your system along with a laxative so it cant be but so completely awful for your body if its just one day. But dont expect to keep what you lose from it off because it will come right back
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    worked wonders in getting all the nasty toxins out of my body

No, it didn't.
  • _Tay_
    _Tay_ Posts: 95
    Options

Thanks !

If the majority of evidence from reliable sources such as medical journals and actual research, heavily slanted in one direction on any given issue, would you still go with your feelings or would you go with what the evidence dictates?.

If I felt I found more negative than positive I wouldn't hesitate to put water cleansing aside. Another good question :)
  • _Tay_
    Options
    Well i must add although i dont think its the best idea.. when ever i have surgery you have to do a clear liquid fast. That's doctors orders to get rid of everything in your system along with a laxative so it cant be but so completely awful for your body if its just one day. But dont expect to keep what you lose from it off because it will come right back

Thank you :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water every day, along with a reasonable diet. You don't need to do a water fast and only consume water.

Detox is just a catch word, there isn't some magic thing to eat or drink, your body does this all by itself every day without some special fast or diet.
  • _Tay_
    Options
    wow this thread is certainly turning nasty, unnecessarily in my opinion. Anyway, I wouldn't do a strict water detox. I did a fruit and veggie smoothie detox for 3 days and that worked wonders in getting all the nasty toxins out of my body. I recommend Dr. Oz's 3-Day Detox.

Yea.. It stinks. Especially those who pick and chose what to take from my replies... turning me into saying things I am clearly not. (Lol)

Dr oz? That's awesome. I'll look into that too!! I love juice ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thanks !

If I felt I found more negative than positive I wouldn't hesitate to put water cleansing aside. Another good question :)

I have another question:

Do you understand the difference between research and opinion as it pertains to articles you read on the internet? I'm not asking this to insult your intelligence. It's an important question because many people unfortunately mistake things like Dr. Oz for quality information.
  • _Tay_
    Options

Exactly. You don't care what science or logic say. You just wanna do it so you're gonna do it. This whole thread was a big waste of time.

Why didn't you add the rest of what I said? About how I'm also taking into consideration all perspectives from the MFP community. And that I appreciate it all. Why pick out things to make me look like I'm saying things I am not? That's foolish. Please don't.
  • April_KT
    Options

Your welcome :) sorry people are being so nasty on here
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

The reason they have you not eat before surgery has nothing to do with "detoxing". It is because when they give you anaesthetic, all of your bodily reflexes are relaxed and if there is food in your stomach it will likely be involuntarily vomited. This is unsafe since you then might inhale it.
  • _Tay_
    Options

Thanks !

I have another question:

Do you understand the difference between research and opinion as it pertains to articles you read on the internet? I'm not asking this to insult your intelligence. It's an important question because many people unfortunately mistake things like Dr. Oz for quality information.

We'll for one.. Dr Oz is a doctor. So I can see why many people put so much trust in his words. And to answer your question I do not believe opinions NOR research to be 100 % true. Because when I do.. There's always the 'new research studies show'..

• _Tay_
    Options

Your welcome :) sorry people are being so nasty on here

It's alright. I mean no harm. :)
  • April_KT
    Options

The reason they have you not eat before surgery has nothing to do with "detoxing". It is because when they give you anaesthetic, all of your bodily reflexes are relaxed and if there is food in your stomach it will likely be involuntarily vomited. This is unsafe since you then might inhale it.

Trust me buddy i know this.. lol i never said it was a detox if you actually read what i said i said it gets rid of everything in your system but it will come right back..
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options

Yea.. It stinks. Especially those who pick and chose what to take from my replies... turning me into saying things I am clearly not. (Lol)

Dr oz? That's awesome. I'll look into that too!! I love juice ;)

Dr. Oz is a snake oil salesman. He peddles things to the hopeless and makes himself a tidy profit endorsing the next big fad. Nothing wrong with fruit and veggie smoothies but all you need is fruits, veggies and a blender.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz cashed in his surgeon credibility to *kitten* himself out as a snake oil salesman.

The guy has an MBA in addition to an MD.