What book(s) are you currently reading?

Options

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan .

Finished it for the third time a month ago...amazeballs.

Currently reading Jack Whytes - A Dream of Eagles Series

Next up Tad Williams - Shadowmarch series
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The Warmth of Other Suns

Love it!

As someone who is a multigenerational immigrant, the story is both fascinating and enlightening... it also reveals the horror of living in a place where the right to leave is not a right at all
  • kaiulani3793
    Options
    If you love fantasy books I highly recommend to my MFP friends to read Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones! :-)

I loved Miyazaki's version. Did you see it? How is the book different from the film?
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    Options
    "Dragnet Nation" by Julia Angwin- a pretty hair-raising study of how much of your personal data is collected (she calls it "scraped", stored and sold. If you buy it, save money to get a Faraday bag for your smartphone.

I'm mixed on that being a bad thing
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the Chocolate Lovers Series by Tara Sivec
  • picadillyjim
    picadillyjim Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Picadillyjim, by P G Wodehouse

Actually re-reading it for about the twentieth time.
  • JediPrincess88
    Options
    I'm about to start The Gates of Paradise by Melissa De La Cruz. It's the last book in her Blue Bloods series. I'll probably read the whole thing after my daughter goes to bed. After that I'm not sure... I'm considering giving George R.R. Martin a try... or maybe I'll go back to R.A. Salvatore... or a Star Wars book.... Hm... :glasses:
  • eluna72
    eluna72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Reading "The Testing" trilogy by Joelle Charbonneau

Just finished the second book which is called "Independent Study"
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    NOOO ... Not another book thread !

I love all the books I hear about and now I'm going to have to get more and then I ignore my house work and stay home and read read read :bigsmile:

I'm reading Son of Shadows by Juliet Marillier . Probably a recomendation form one of these threads . I can't put it down !
  • JSweet44
    JSweet44 Posts: 83
    Options
    I'm reading "The 5 Love Languages" no joke :)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Just finished the first part of A Dance with Dragons: Dreams and Dust

Now taking a little break from good old George R.R. Martin before I move onto the second part of that book by reading something completely different; Invitation to a Beheading by Nabokov

I thought Lolita was spell-bindingly written and that Nabokov has a supreme mastery of the English language which is even more incredible when you consider his native tongue is Russian. I'm excited to read more of his works.

Never read anything by a Russian author. Is Nabokov an okay place to start?
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    Options
    I'm reading "The 5 Love Languages" no joke :)

I had to read it a while ago

Its not as lame as it sounds
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    Options
    Just finished the first part of A Dance with Dragons: Dreams and Dust

Now taking a little break from good old George R.R. Martin before I move onto the second part of that book by reading something completely different; Invitation to a Beheading by Nabokov

I thought Lolita was spell-bindingly written and that Nabokov has a supreme mastery of the English language which is even more incredible when you consider his native tongue is Russian. I'm excited to read more of his works.

Never read anything by a Russian author. Is Nabokov an okay place to start?

Yes!

Also Pushkin, Dostoevsky, and Tolstoy (he has less intimidating works than War and Peace)
  • annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin. Amazing book into not only the emotional needs of animal but it truly relates to humans as well. Not to mention that the writer is autistic and has completely revolutionized the world of animal handling.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Romeo and Juliet
    Schindler's Ark by Thomas Keneally (about a German who saved over 1000 Jews from Nazi purges.
    Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan (about a woman recruited to MI5 in the 1970s)

Has anyone read House of Leaves?
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have recently read house of leaves , didn't rate it that much, but think my expectations may have been too high, mostly it gets good reviews.
  • rikwaynik
    rikwaynik Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    The dark John mcgahern
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Still reading: Haunted Asylums, Prisons, and Sanatoriums: Inside Abandoned Institutions for the Crazy, Criminal & Quarantined - very interesting!

Also reading Cook This, Not That! Skinny Comfort Foods

Forgot: Masquerade by Tivadar Soros
  • ronkid40
    ronkid40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Currently reading a book called A Husbands Secret. Very good........, but a lot of characters to remember in the beginning