Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @loveurself21 Well, being on nights it can be easy or difficult. One thing that made it easier, and I don't remember who suggested it, was to change my 'meals' on my diary to 'hours'. I have 6 periods that are 4 hours long, starting at 12AM-4AM, then 4AM-8AM, and 8AM- 12PM and so on, to cover one 24 hour period. Now I don't get as confused about logging and I, usually, time my meals so I don't go over my calories.

Honestly, we don't seem to focus too terribly much on the 'staying on track' and 'losing weight' aspects. We are more about discussing the idiots that we work with, the awesomeness of sunrises, and how some of us are considered 'mental' by day walkers because we WANT to work nights.
  • ginagunter
    ginagunter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @loveurself21 Well, being on nights it can be easy or difficult. One thing that made it easier, and I don't remember who suggested it, was to change my 'meals' on my diary to 'hours'. I have 6 periods that are 4 hours long, starting at 12AM-4AM, then 4AM-8AM, and 8AM- 12PM and so on, to cover one 24 hour period. Now I don't get as confused about logging and I, usually, time my meals so I don't go over my calories.

Honestly, we don't seem to focus too terribly much on the 'staying on track' and 'losing weight' aspects. We are more about discussing the idiots that we work with, the awesomeness of sunrises, and how some of us are considered 'mental' by day walkers because we WANT to work nights.

Great idea changing meals to hours. I get so confused trying to decide where to put things!

I work 3 or 4 days a week from 1700 until 0800, on call, so I try to sneak in treadmill time during those hours. I keep similar hours when I'm off.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I worked night shift about 4 years ago and then changed jobs. Now I'm back on thirds and adjusting back to this schedule has been difficult.

I go home and crash typically. When I worked nights before I would exercise when I got home. This time - I'm just so exhausted! So I try to get a workout in when I wake up and have gotten the kids home from school.

I've found I want to snack a lot at work. That's been my biggest downfall. I tend to eat to help myself stay awake.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Hey guys. I worked night shift about 4 years ago and then changed jobs. Now I'm back on thirds and adjusting back to this schedule has been difficult.

I go home and crash typically. When I worked nights before I would exercise when I got home. This time - I'm just so exhausted! So I try to get a workout in when I wake up and have gotten the kids home from school.

I've found I want to snack a lot at work. That's been my biggest downfall. I tend to eat to help myself stay awake.

@giggles7706 I snack to stay awake. Usually fruits and veggies from my bento box, but I forgot my lunch today. I've only had a Big Cup of Noodles, coffee, and water to keep me going. So naturally, I'm peeing ALL the time.
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    In response to people talking about meals. Ive switched mine from the breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks to midnight-6am. 6am-noon, noon-6pm, and 6pm-midnight. Then a supplements tab for any protein, vitamins, etc in order to track their nutritional values as well. (I just added that last tab though). I can say since Im usually awake 16-72hrs in a row (for my son and job--i dont sleep between some shifts) its been very helpful tracking that way versus trying to figure out which "meal" I was eating and whether to put it on the previous day it would've belonged to or the current day it was.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Almost time for commute home. Since my neighbor mowed his grass yesterday in the rain, maybe I'll be able to sleep past 1pm...
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @sufferlandrian AND I forgot my lunch at home...so not a great night. However, when it is over, I am going to bust out a 40 minute work out and sleep like the dead.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,229 Member
    Options
    @lilaclovebird - I hate when I do that. I keep a bunch of stuff in the freezer for occasions like that. The problem is, clients keep bringing me Ice Cream. Schwann's Gold 'N Nugits are yummy but not too healthy. :smile:

Well, had to cut my bike ride short. My knee is killing me tonight and I can't get it stretched out. Guess I'll be hitting the Motrin today.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @sufferlandrian OKAY! This day can be over now.

How things have tallied up so far:

1) Stepped in a BIG, DEEP pile of *kitten*. UP MY PANT LEG deep. I have been smelling it ALL night
    2) Forgot my lunch (thanks for calling to tell me Mom).
    3) On a building check of VPA, a frog jumped from a tree and landed on my shirt, scaring me half to death.
    4) A SECOND frog jumped from a tree and landed on my FACE and got its leg in my MOUTH.
    5) I get back to the office to enjoy my coffee and as I am turning from the microwave with HOT coffee, I hit the desk and spill it all over my pants.

Good things to remember:
    1) The pants were already dirty and hot coffee didn't hurt me THAT badly.
    2) The frog could have pooped in my mouth, but it didn't.
    3) I have less than 2 hours left on my shift.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    ROFL!! You are making my night seem so much better. :laugh:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    ROFL!! You are making my night seem so much better. :laugh:

Glad I could help. I am probably going to relieve the stress by pounding out a 40 minute workout.

• LacednLace
    Options
    We aren't able to keep backup supplies in the fridge/freezer. Our department shares the break room with several other departments and your items are likely to be trashed or taken after a few days. I do however keep a plethora of granola bars, crackers, and a few cans of chicken or tuna in my locker for those situations.
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    LacednLace wrote: »
    Hey ya'll just wanted to stop in and say hey. I see many of you have interesting jobs. Props to everyone! I'm Britt, I work for 911. Currently dealing with night shifts for work and day shifts with my child lol. Sitting at about 4hrs left til its time to leave and hit the gym (first time trying to workout after work instead of before). Little one is with grandparents this weekend which means hopefully sleep until time to get dressed for the next shift! How's everyone else's night going? What do yall usually do after work? Head straight home and sleep or stay up for while?

Hi! I am a 911 operator as well also working nights for my job and days with my kids. My son is 7 and I have a 3yo and 1yo daughter. When I'm off work its always straight to bed for me so I can get in a bit of sleep before the hubby goes to work or before I have to drop my son off at school (if the hubby works in the AM). 15 more minutes and I am OUTTA here!! WOOHOO!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    What do you do when the caffeine quits working? :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, I have no reason to complain about my shifts anymore. I'm a 911 dispatcher too. On my last night of my work weekend. C'mon 530!!
  • LacednLace
    Options
    What do you do when the caffeine quits working? :smile:

Pray/cry. No seriously though, I don't drink coffee. So water, water, water. And try to walk around when I start to feel like a zombie. On rare occasions (such as our 5 day - 12hr shift work week) I usually grab a zero calorie Monster energy drink. Or a low-cal one if they're out of the others. This is even less rare if I'm pager that week too.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    Yeah I don't have a cool feeling with PEX.... makes me think I'm gonna end up sick or something.

I had gray whatever plastic pipe and now I am changing to PEX as it breaks. The beauty is that there are snap fittings that you can fix a leak in 1 minute! Sharkbite is the brand, and I believe they go on copper too. I am the handywoman of the house! :)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am overwhelmed by all the posts, hope everyone is having a great night!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I don't know who invented muzzles but I could kiss them. It was probably a left over from the Spanish Inquisition but whatever. I'll kiss them anyway. :smile: I have a dog that I can't get within three feet and it tries to bite me and now it is vomiting with a painful abdomen. Had the owners slip a muzzle on and bingo. Something is stuck in the intestines. Now for some sedation and then radiographs to see if we can fix it.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I am super tired for this shift. I had to see my mom off to Dallas this afternoon. BAH! At least I got my workout in. It hurt, but in the best way. :sunglasses: